1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Any way to get the "zebra_crossing" decal to show up?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by SuperEmbracer, Jan 9, 2018.

1. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

Hello everyone,
    This is me, and I am wondering how to get the zebra stripes to show up in a custom map that I am working on. This picture shows the issue in question:
    11.png
    The problem is trying to find the texture so that i can make the decal required to put in zebra crossings. I tried looking in the official game files for such texture, but I could not find any such texture. So is there any such remedy?

P.S: Sorry if this is in the wrong subforum, i am making this for myself at the moment, and it is a secret map that i am working on, for myself at the moment.

#1 SuperEmbracer, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

Well, I know that @bob.blunderton has some road textures that he would be happy to share with you. As for making one yourself, you could just use paint.net and make a rectangular white shape with no background and no spec or normals map and overlay it as a decal road right over your pre-existing road. Then, the white texture will have the same gritty look as your road, and it won't flicker because there are not two normals maps right on top of each other. Hope this helped.

3. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

If you wanted, WCUSA has some road crossing textures, such as the one I've attached.
    --- Post updated ---
    I believe I found it:

Attached Files:

4. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

Dat works too

5. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

All right, so this goes into my "Decals" folder, right?

Anyway, I changed the materials.cs file accordingly, adding it to my already-existing materials.cs file, and at first, it worked. But however, when i saved and reloaded my map, the textures disappeared. Any solution to this so that I don't have to replace the textures all over again?

Attached Files:

#5 SuperEmbracer, Jan 10, 2018
  6. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

I'm on my phone currently, but the textures I provided you with should go into the "road" folder, where all the textures for roads are

7. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Change COLORMAP to DIFFUSEMAP in the line with zebra_crossing_d.dds (D = diffuse!)
    I don't believe you can have a colormap without having other parts (normal, specular, etc) to the texture.
    I hit this issue a while ago. Also make sure you're not doing the less-obvious typos like 'ROADS' instead of 'ROAD' etc.

You won't 'SEE' your texture in the selector because the background is white, and the texture is white. It will look like a blank preview box, but it's there.

Diffuse = the actual picture of what it is (a grey road, a white or yellow line, a road with lines already on it, a dirt path etc. Road lines are also referred to as STRIPING below.)
    Normal = the 3d bump mapping is often called 'normal mapping' and this is what gives common brick/stone it's 3d look.
    EDIT: IF you don't give your texture a normal map, the normal map from the texture underneath will be displayed on this texture. That means, if you place this on a road, it will look unified with the road (proper, good). If you place a ROAD over the terrain and the road doesn't have a normal map applied (and the terrain does!), you will see grass/rock/other unwanted normal map's grainy look showing through to the road, which you don't want (improper/bad). So you don't need to give crossings/striping normal-maps if you don't want. All roads in Beamng.drive default content maps, have a normal texture already in them, so use those, or make your own out of basic seamless concrete, which would look okay too in a pinch.
    Specular = this is how shiny something is, and where it's shiny. White for polished chrome, black for dull & boring.
    Colormap = this is used for textures with detail textures applied to them also, and can be switched for other color maps while leaving the other parts of the texture in place, so you can make variations to road coloring/age etc.
    Detail map = a texture that's overlaid into the normal color map to give it a finer grain, it tiles more often usually and gives the texture a more detailed, realistic appearance. This is used usually when you use the 'color map' option, but I don't use these often so I'm not 100% on these and color maps - the devs would know better than me on these two. See examples provided with the in-game maps.

Your color maps often won't work without the other textures they're giving color TO, since it's modifying another texture essentially. Just switch that to Diffusemap instead of colormap and you should be good to go (map restart required).

#7 bob.blunderton, Jan 10, 2018
  8. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

OK, got npp open, which line exactly? Oh nevermind, i found it. Hopefully the textures reappear again.

Nope, changed the colormap to diffusemap and still having orange "No material" textures rather than pedestrian crossing stripes.

#8 SuperEmbracer, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  9. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

The one with your colormap = ZEBRA CROSSING whatever .dds file is.
    Just change COLORMAP to DIFFUSEMAP

10. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

Ok, did that with N++, still getting "no material" errors.

11. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

What's the console error say about it. It'll surely throw a console error.
    Make sure you've got the path right, if it says 'can't find material'. You can't have two of the same either, East Coast / West Coast I believe already have one assigned.
    Code:
    singleton Material (Crosswalk_Hatch_2way)
    {
       mapTo = "unmapped_mat";
       diffuseColor[0] = "0.935294 0.935294 0.935294 1";
       colorMap[0] = "levels/SouthernHighway/ART/ROADS/CrosswalkHatch2way.dds";
       specularPower[0] = "16";
       specularMap[0] = "levels/SouthernHighway/ART/ROADS/CrosswalkHatch2way_spec.dds";
       translucent = "1";
       materialTag0 = "RoadAndPath";
       normalMap[0] = "";
       translucentZWrite = "1";
       alphaTest = "1";
       alphaRef = "0";
       useAnisotropic[0] = "1";
    };

This is mine, from Roane County TN, USA. I don't know if it's a graphic I created or one from the game. Think I made this one a while ago (a year?) w/o realizing it was already in the game.
    If you want to use mine, that's fine too. They're used in Rockwood near the Rockwood spawn (not Burger World).

If you make textures in the material editor, and they disappear next time you load the map it's usually because *drumroll* THE MATERIAL EDITOR IS BROKEN AS @#$%! RIGHT NOW, DO NOT USE IT :)

That has been a public service announcement.

12. SuperEmbracer

SuperEmbracer
    Expand Collapse

All right, so all i do is copy and paste to my materials.cs and rename your map's name into mine, right?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice