Anyone indentify this GTX970?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by TomiL88, Nov 21, 2015.

1. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

HI.
    I bought a HP envy PC. It came with i7 CPU and a Nvidia GTX 970 GPU. As you see it has only a black plastic cover and cheap looking fan. GPU-Z doesn´t know the manufacturer. And the card gets 80C immediately when gaming and fan spins only 46%. (Trying MSI afterburner soon)
    Also the case is so shitty. It has only one fan that pushes air out... WTF HP. I tought +1000€ PC would have good cooling...but didn´t know that when buying.
    Cheaper HP envy would have liquid cooling, but it had only i5.

Attached Files:

• 20151121_133830.jpg
  2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

welcome to why none of us buy prebuilt

• Like Like x 4
  3. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Honestly I'd return it and build one yourself. You will probably get twice the pc for the price too.

4. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

Actually, when I added the same parts in a local shop. It still costs almost the same. And I cant buy separate parts as part payment... Also, cant return it.

5. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Even your local shop should have much better parts. When you by non standard factory computers they are always questionable.

6. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

I know. I wanted to build my own PC but I had to buy prebuild because I have to pay it as part payments. STill..I think I go and slice my wrists open.

7. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

Haha look what I found:
    (no I´m not swapping the case)
    Maybe I add one fann from my ex pc to the side grill. Also it seems that the GPU is Nvidia gtx 970 but HP installed bad cooler on it.

8. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Prebuilds are an awful pile of s**t thats why I always build my own computers....you should just take it out and see if there are any identifying marks on it...

9. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

10. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

And i hope you guys dont think I´m stupid for bying a prebuild PC. I just could not build my own due payment methods. Luckily I have 3year warranty on all parts.

11. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Ahh thats why you did a prebuild, No worries man, is there any way you can remove that card and get a few pictures of it so we can see the back and anything else that may ID it, because you can track a serial number on the card to the exact model

12. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

I´m kind of afraid to take it out. It has some weird cage that the other end is attached to. It has a plastic cover against the cards motherboard

13. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Is there any way of seeing the back of the gpu board at all....if there is an ID on there we can track it...

14. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

If the specs are the one in your signature, I'm afraid you got scammed of a good 300€.
    Never trust prebuilts :\

• Like Like x 1
  15. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Did a little research and all i can really say is thats a pretty weird looking GTX 970. The 970 has a black pcb on all but Galax cards from what I can find, and this is definitely not a Galax card.

16. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

@TomiL88 have you tried "Dxdiag" without "" that would tell you immediately what your gpu is!

Here is my one for my computer, The Magnum Opus, thats after I went to Right Click on the Windows Icon bottom left of the screen then clicking "Run" and then typing in "DxDiag" without "" and this is what I got :) I did screen 1 as well where you will note the GPU is located so I did the first and second pages for you post that and then boom we have your graphics card!!

Attached Files:

• DirectX Diagnostic Tool Magnum Opus.png
    • DirectX Diagnostic Tool Magnum Opus 2.png
  17. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Why would you be interested in the GPU manufacturer? It's OEM'd for HP so the only warranty is through HP.

More importantly 80C while gaming is perfectly reasonable in an OEM PC, especially with the GPU fan at 47% (which I assume produces a reasonable noise level). nVidia is conservative with their numbers ("500W minimum" PSU for a card which draws well under 250W is definitely conservative) and they say 98C is the "Maximum GPU Tempurature (in C)".

Often more than one system fan isn't really necessary - especially with a PSU fan also exhausting air. In your case the GPU HSF assembly is also exhausting some percentage of it's air. Little closed loop "liquid coolers" like the one pictured earlier in this thread are not significant improvements over heatpipe-equipped coolers with large fans - and they add additional failure modes.

18. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

You dont seem to see the point in my situation. If you read my comments you understand that building my own is not an option. At the same store where I bought this HP, I added the same parts in web store as this PC has, it still cost almost the same, maybe about 150€ less. Finland is a expensive country due taxes and I dont feel comfortable ordering parts from other countrys. And I got extended 3 year warranty.
    Thanks for the help. It is a Nividia GPU:But wait. Your say you have Nvidia too, but your sig says EVGA?
    dxdiag.png

You are right. It doesn´t really matter when all systems work who made the parts. I feel alot better now after reading your post. After playing some more, all temps are normal. CPU keeps cool even long Beamng session.. so maybe the cooling is enought. What I understand the CPU fan draws air from the big airvent from the side of the case and then PSU and one rear fan pushes hot air out. If I put my hand over the big grille on the side, it really sucks lots of air in. Tried MSI Afterburner with custom fan curves and my GTX 970 sounded like a jetplane when fan speed goes over 60% and up.

19. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I read your post, and I understand you didn't have other choice, but ordering parts from other countries (if done from reliable sites) would have been a better option imho.
    Anyway, the mess is already done.

You should try asking on reddit, they may be able to help you (r/techsupport ?)
    That GPU seems a very own version of HP tho, I'm unable to find anything about it.

20. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

Yes, if I had the money cash, maybe then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice