WIP Arcadia 470

Discussion in 'Land' started by WrongBrothers, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Maj_Turbolag

Maj_Turbolag
    Expand Collapse

Re: Scalengetti 470

Classic style with modern technology. I'm liking it. :)

2. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

Well, time for some crappy update pictures. I finished the basics for the door (lots of subdividing to get the nice grid), and did the same for the rear hatch area. Oh, and I also did a really simple two-poly A piller. I'll probably replace it at sometime in the future. Next, finishing the rear! Or something. Probably something else. I don't even know at this point. Anyways, progress!
    Scalengetti 470 Progress 5-21-2014 1.jpg
    Scalengetti 470 Progress 5-21-2014 2.jpg

3. mtchll3

mtchll3
    Expand Collapse

do u know wat and how u will do the chassis?

4. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

I'm probably going to base the frame and underbody on an Austin-Healey Sprite, because my dad happens to have one and its similar to the style I'm going for.

5. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

I'm wondering, are the wheelarches the right shape? I'm unsure, and some outside opinions would be helpful. If I have to reshape them, I hope I can just mess with the fender flares instead of redoing that whole area.

6. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

Try fitting some tires on it. That should help with the wheel arch shape. I'd make the whole side of the car more rounded and curve the lower part of the side and wheel arches inside. Most cars have that, some more (see Jaguar E-Type for example), some less.

Is this meant to be a stock '60s car, a modified '60s car or a modern car with retro styling? If it's not a race car, I think the bodywork extends a bit too far down.

7. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

I've modeled the door handles now, and they look decent (I hope). I also stuck some Bolide wheels on it to see if the wheelarches are correct, and it looks good. I decided to put some quick renders up as well, with more proper materials. I might put bigger wheels on it to raise the ride height a bit, because right now it'll bottom out on every bump and hill. Or I'll just raise them up a bit. Who knows.

Here's a close-up on the door handle:
    Scalengetti 470 Progress 5-26-2014 4.jpg
    I know it's a bit low-poly, but it's small. I might redo it anyway, it's not the most streamlined design.

8. mtchll3

mtchll3
    Expand Collapse

are u going to soften it?

9. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

Yeah. This is the low-poly version. I might just redo it if its too low-poly, it doesn't take that long to model.

10. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

I've been on vacation these last few weeks, so no modelling progress. However, I've been thinking. The original idea for this was a retro-styled car with modern underpinnings. However, recently I've realized that I want a car based on '60's simplicity. No fuel injection, no computer-run systems. Everything mechanical. These cars are much easier to service by yourself, and have less to go wrong. The other thing is that my cars were originally designated by their horsepower, not twice their horsepower. I've realized that a 235HP engine isn't super performance-oriented. Therefor, I have a new set of trim levels:
    470: 235HP engine, modern underpinnings.
    470S (Sport): 470HP engine, sporty interior, modern underpinnings.
    470C (Classic): 235HP engine, carbureted, manual choke?
    470CS (Classic Sport): 470HP engine, carbureted, definitely autochoke.

Good idea, bad idea?

11. Tomy_Gra

Tomy_Gra
    Expand Collapse

Nice car, I'm waiting for beta release. This car looks very futuristic.

12. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

I've decided that Scalengetti is a bad and outdated name (it was actually partially a misspelling of Scaglietti), and has no personal meaning to me. Therefor, I have merged with my brother's company, and I will now produce cars under Arcadia. The notation for my models will remain unchanged.

13. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

I like this car, seeing as I can't play beamNG at the moment as the update has killed my fps I'd be happy to have a look at the polyflow and try to sort some of the smoothing issues around the rear.

14. Ninja 5tyl3

Ninja 5tyl3
    Expand Collapse

You are not the only one. I switched to Linux this year and BeamNG doesn't run well on WINE.

15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Update bumped up the graphics quality so you might just simply have to drop the settings accordingly.
    Or from the new side menu under renderer you can turn off the shadows which makes a massive difference

16. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Well duh....

Set lighting quality to lowest, bam, instant fps

17. Three O' Clubs

Three O' Clubs
    Expand Collapse

Looks nice, keep up the great work, I like real cars but these fictional and super creative ones really fit well in BeamNG in my opinion. Best of luck man!

18. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the fps advice, ill have a bit of a play but even on lowest settings it seemed pretty bad :/

19. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

Fundador was going to help me fix some smoothing issues, but I ended up fixing them myself. So I decided to keep working (I got a bit of the rear bumper done, not too much though), tried using edge split modifier to get the panel gaps looking right, then decided to just render it for the heck of it. Yes, I know it's not in Cycles, but I wanted reflections and correctly working clear materials. See first post for the picture.

20. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

Okay, time for a crappy update. Honestly, I haven't worked on this for months. I've been too busy with schoolwork and life in general. But, I finally had some time to work on it and did something: finishing up the rear bumper. I've had it almost completed (or so I thought) for a long time but never added the license plate area. So I did. After realizing that the section it sits in was way too small. So I had to figure out the car's dimensions and scale to make the indent for the plate fit a US license plate. So, here you go. No idea what I'll work on next.
    470 progress 1.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice