[ARCHIVED] CRD Monster Truck Development Thread

Discussion in 'Beam-Monsters' started by Deleted member 160369, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HumanTarget

HumanTarget
    Expand Collapse

Just roll with it. O.O Don't anger him.

2. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

I accidentally set this thread as "moderated" while I was browsing the forums on the phone earlier.

Likely the notification system considers it as a freshly-opened thread now that it's been "approved" again.

Sorry! :)

3. gameboy3800

gameboy3800
    Expand Collapse

not sure when you can get to this, but many people are asking me when deformable/breakable bodies will be a thing. i'm sure you've gotten this question a lot as well. is there any ideas of how to make it work?

4. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

F2YS had an idea of a template for bodies. all pickups have a base J-beam to use same with SUVs. they'd probably be sized to fit....and separating the parts in blender would be an issue.

5. Shelby 427

Shelby 427
    Expand Collapse

I will need a tutorial for blender if I'm going to help out, tbh I don't even have blender downloaded, either way it will slow the process down a little and there's probably tutorials on YouTube

6. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Simply put... Deformable bodies won't be a thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gameboy3800

gameboy3800
    Expand Collapse

there's no easy way to apply the same front clip breakage mechanics to each side?

8. VolticDragon

VolticDragon
    Expand Collapse

Not particularly. The stability and functionality of it wouldn't really be what is desired. Fiberglass needs to be able to crumple and break, something this game doesn't really do.

9. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

No. No "easy way":

- There's currently no way to simulate proper surface tearing/splitting in game.
    - Most meshes were never designed with deformation/breakage in mind. Too much effort, and the outcome will most certainly be poor.
    - Even just the Blender work required to separate each potentially breakable part from each of the bodies would take weeks.
    - Structuring the whole thing would take ages...

Besides, the vehicle is at its limits right now. No other vehicle in game has a body mounted on a complex spaceframe. Introducing even more complexity would likely determine a huge performance loss and instability.

No.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MRcrash

MRcrash
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

@FLyInG 2 YoUr SoUL I think I could try to do some jbeam for f150 body. If it will work then I could make also other bodies if you want.

11. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Making a jbeam is not a problem, I have a couple bodies done already for that matter (F150, Escalade).

The jbeam itself would only make the body deformable, and I don't like how poorly and unrealistically these single-mold meshes can deform right now. Fiberglass doesn't deform in real life. It fractures under flexing/traction, and this kind of damage model isn't simulated in BeamNG yet, so I'd rather leave it at that.

I could make some more panels detachable/breakable, just like the front clip, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. As I said, this implies some massive Blender work, and a new layer of complexity I don't want, nevermind the time it would take to process each body. Each panel would require more attachment structures, more breakGroups, more collision triangles.

No, thanks. Bodies will stay as they are now. For something as simple as one breakable panel I had to design overcomplicated support structures to suppress rattles while still allowing part detachment.

The upcoming Cohen-based truck will offer a simpler selection of body styles and will feature breakable bodies since inception.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MRcrash

MRcrash
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I think it may be possible with breaking like cargobox. Everything what it needs is enabling mesh and triangle breaking and adjusting some nb values.

13. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

It was suggested before and experimented for a while. Just like the cargo box, triangle breaking looks bad.

Really, now... I will introduce breakable bodies. Just not on the current CRD: this mod has grown into a behemot, well beyond the original plans. Spending the next few months implementing this feature implies putting all the other projects (Cohen, PEI, Leafers) on the back burner.

14. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

well @MRcrash if you want to try and make some breakable bodies, you can try. just make it so the panels break off instead of breaking

15. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

One thing that could be done with relative ease is to make the whole body detachable, like some RoR mods:

Excuse me? Why can't my decisions be respected, for once? Do I have to remind you what happened last time you forced my hand?!

16. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

not forcing your hand. he can do what he wants but he can't release it without your say so....i'll be quiet about this now.

17. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Well, my stance on this matter was clarified above.

I do not want this. For a moltitude of reasons.

And I'm pretty sure you don't have to remind him what he can do with his local files.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ROCKGODBOSS

ROCKGODBOSS
    Expand Collapse

For the future PEI or Cohen's, I'll separate the panels.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. :)

That's something I can also do myself. I've been separating most front clips with decent proficiency so far. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Beeasy Gaming

Beeasy Gaming
    Expand Collapse

everytime i load in a truck it says:Fatal vehicle exception. please reload vehicle. do u know how to fix this?

Attached Files:

• BeamNGDrivex642017-02-2214-53-15-055.jpg
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice