are global steering wheels possible?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by stale, Feb 22, 2021.

1. stale

stale
    Expand Collapse

i'm trying to make some sort of mod that puts all the stock steering wheels from the official cars into the common folder, making them selectable on all vehicles like the nomi wheels
    i started by grabbing them from every car and arranging them like the common wheels:
    wheels1.png wheels2.png
    however i don't know where to go from here
    i know that the dds files would need to be carried over, as they're loose in the common folder for those wheels
    upload_2021-2-22_16-10-27.png
    there's also a .json material file w/ data for each wheel
    upload_2021-2-22_16-12-53.png
    but how would i include those in a repo zip file? like, how would they know where to go
    i'm new to modding and have tried some guides and followed some tutorials, but i still don't have a good understanding of all this

2. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Unfortunately that is not possible to do because the way all the vehicles "share" steering wheels is by just using the same 3D models, materials and textures, while the Jbeams (especially positions and rotations) are entirely different for each wheel and each vehicle. It's not even easy to put a "common" steering wheel on a mod vehicle because (at least for me) it's a pain to position it correctly. And you would have to do that for every single steering wheel separately, and not just once but separately for every single vehicle too... Not to mention the stock steering wheels are positioned and alligned in a completely different way than the shared ones... You might get it to work for 1 car after weeks of work but then you would have to repeat the process from scratch for all other vehicles, and it wouldn't work for mod cars either, not worth it imo.

3. stale

stale
    Expand Collapse

gotcha, i was worried i'd run into trouble with the positioning
    if i were to release something like this, it'd just be a handful of wheels for one specific vehicle, but you're probably right in that it'd take more time than i'd expect
    really wish there was an easier way to implement something like this though

4. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

For 1 specific vehicle it wouldn't be too bad, but not worth it really, using all the copied textures, models and materials just so the player has way more than enough variety with a detail nobody pays attention to, and it would probably increase the mod's file size quite a lot too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice