Ask a British person

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by ShaunHuggins, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Aero peppermint for one.
    --- Post updated ---
    The UK's broadcasting companies often operate like this, I'll include broadband.
    BBC is the country's main broadcasting channel, but it doesn't mean it's the only or all of the others are tiny.
    The UK's television companies operate under a channel like system, and are able to be hosted on a broadband service's channels (Sky TV, Sky Sports, BBC, ITV, BT TV, Virgin TV, Dave, and more)
    The broadband sector of everything is interesting because around 50% of the country's population has access to fibre cable broadband.
    Those who do not have access to cable are stuck with slow, shit internet from Sky or the likes of TalkTalk, BT, Post Office, and more.
    When the internet of these 3 companies fail, a group known as OpenReach operate across these companies and are owned by BT (British Telecom.)
    The max internet speed in the UK is 1 GB/s

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Do you consider your in-country TV shows boring?

3. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Not really, you can't judge the TV shows under all one standard because there's so much of them.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. JayPlaysBeamNG

JayPlaysBeamNG
    Expand Collapse

What kinda cars are popular in the UK
    Also how are you guys so warm?
    If London was in Canada, at the same latitude, it would be located in the cold, barren northern region.
    (Yes it’s rainy ik)

5. AgentMooshroom5

AgentMooshroom5
    Expand Collapse

Fiat 500's are everywhere, but european city cars in general are pretty common. German luxury cars are also quite popular
    We aren't normally that warm, if we are we have our heating on full (which is most of the time)

6. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

The reason why is because crosswinds and other shite like it blow warm air from Spain and Southern France and blow it up to the UK during summer.
    We don't have winters though, all our winters is are bitter colds and icy rain

7. C747

C747
    Expand Collapse

How strong are rains there in the UK and what regions are the most rainy?

8. Sturpy

Sturpy
    Expand Collapse

Not very strong, it just rains constantly in the winter.
    --- Post updated ---
    It's so warm in the UK (compared to countries at the same latitude) because of the Gulf stream. The Gulf stream is an ocean stream that brings warm(er) water over the north east Atlantic. It also brings over warm stormy weather and occasionally an ex-hurricane.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sixshot

Sixshot
    Expand Collapse

Considering I live in the Scottish Highlands, I'm probably best suited to answer this question, So here is:..

It depends, On what? well, Quite literally anything, As an example, We've just undergone a horridly long HeatWave, and during that, we had torrential downpours, with thunder and lightning, at the exact same time as we had a temperature of 29°C,

Usually in the summer it can change within a heartbeat, one moment it'll be nice and sunny and jolly, then instantly you'll get VERY heavy rain, that'll last for all of 2 minutes, then go away. Repeat that on a loop for the entire summer and you get the idea.
    Now winter is.... ehrrr, Well i have no clue anymore, go back 10 years, and it was practically snowing 24/7 without fault, nowadays it's just like summer, except it's 8°C (46F) and you never see the sky for clouds. Since back then, I can't remember a single winter we had snow. However, Winter just past, It was snowing for all of one day! and was actually pleasant for once... then we had...
    ...The Big Great, Terrifying, Scary, Horrible, BEAST FROM THE EAST, 70mph winds, Flooding, -10°C (14F), Constant Heavy Rain, 22in (55cm) of Snow... Aye it was horrid.

Some other info, We usually refer to April/Spring as being the month for rain, as evident by the title "April Showers".
    As for regions which have more rain, i'll link this Rainfall map for 2011 https://www.sepaview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/rainfall-map.png

Anyway, I realise this went a bit further than just the rain, but it's a little insight into the constantly changeable and unpredictable weather we have here in the UK, hope it was interesting, let me know if you want to know anything else!

• Like Like x 2
  10. JayPlaysBeamNG

JayPlaysBeamNG
    Expand Collapse

Id rather freeze to death than slip and die

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Basically:
    During some summers, hot air gets blown up from Spain and causes heatwaves and stuff
    During some winters, cold air gets blown down the jet stream and gets blown onto the UK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

What is the most common structure styles you've seen?

13. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. C747

C747
    Expand Collapse

Oh-my-god.
    So, tu sum it up, weather is a roulette, justt like here in Venezuela, were we can have a oven-ish temperature and drop to a GIGANTIC THUNDERFLOOD OF HELL in matter of 5 minutes. We also wake up with 20-25 degrees at the morning(6:00-7:00) and go all the F*CKING WAY UP TO 30-40 DEGREES in less than half an hour, knowing that it's rain season (right now it's sunny as hell), remember the last year we had some constant medium intensity rains all the rainy season, but, on November 4th, 2017, we closed the rains... with the... great...strong...RAIN OF THE YEAR(unofficial name), which caused the plane my father was coming from Caracas to Maturin(the city i am living) to return back to Caracas, adding that it missed approaches several times, also that it broke the garage ceiling(it falled on our car, only a little V-ish on the back) and no internet and TV for the rest of the week.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

During the beast from the east we kept getting thunderstorms.
    I was walking out from school one day, and there was this ginormous dark grey cloud in the sky, it started pouring down with rain, oof.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Oh my goodness, are you all forgetting the beast of them all.

I was once a 'spoons man through and through, but this took the biscuit. Really good value, decent sized portions and cheap deserts. Oh and they have ketchup bottles instead of sachets :p

Wetherspoons vs HH is a real dilemma many brits have to go through :p

Oh and btw for those that don't know, Hungry Horse(s?) are converted pubs where there is a small bar 18+ age cos of regulations etc., and the majority is family seating. You go up to the bar to order, and get it delivered to your table. It is usually more child friendly than wetherspoons as many places have big gardens and playframes etc. (this seriously adds value for some families).

Overall they really are successful, and you always wonder how on earth they don't make a loss tbh.

Also regarding broadband/tv/phone, here's how it works:

Phone lines are owned by BT, none by Virgin Media.

TV is done through three methods:
    -Cable TV through Virgin Media, subscription, which uses the same cabling as their broadband.
    -Sattelite TV through Sky, subscription.
    -Freesat TV, free, uses satellites (same channels etc.) but less channels are available, as there are two sets, one is encrypted and Sky customers can access, and the other is free which freesat uses.
    -FreeView TV, uses Aerials (OTA), free, and is now fully digital (for ages it was analogue also, but they shut that down in 2012).

Worth noting that you are supposed to pay TV License, which goes to fund the BBC etc. (nothing is ever free!)

Broadband is done through two main networks:

Network 1: Owned by BT, and is leased out to other ISPs such as Talktalk, Sky, Plusnet etc. ADSL or Fibre, with Fibre being FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) and uses copper adsl cables from cabinet to house. This has a max speed of around 76mbps (quoted). Upload speeds around 22mbps on top package.

Network 2: Owned by Virgin Media, and is not leased out! Again FTTC but uses DOCSIS 3.0 cables which allows a higher speed (due to less interference from the shielding). Max speed of around 350mbps. Virgin Media are also incredibly stingey on their upload speeds, it's usually a 10/1 policy, but it tops out at 10mbps. Unless you fork out for Gamer package (20mbps upload, no traffic management) or for a symmetrical line (not sure if this is possible)

Others: There is a growing amount of FTTP (fibre to the premises) and that can deliver around 1000mbps (1gbps) both up and down. It is rare though and only in some places.

#256 Michaelflat, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Never mentioned HungryHorse because I haven't been there since I was 4.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Sturpy

Sturpy
    Expand Collapse

The nearest Hungry Horse branch near where I live recently shut down and now lies vacant. It's sad as this was a pub that I remember going to quite frequently.

Before,

After. This is an old photo, As they have recently put up plywood walls around the building because it has been heavily vandalized.

19. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

When was it left vacant?

20. Sturpy

Sturpy
    Expand Collapse

About a year or two ago now. The 'after' picture was taken just after it had closed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice