1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Audio Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nadeox1, Aug 9, 2017.

1. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

stock cars (regular sedans/suv/vans at least) have really quiet exhaust notes from factory, for a number of obvious reasons. Rice burners and sports cars, especially with aftermarket exhaust/muffler delete/resonator delete etc are loud af at the rear. The game already simulates this quite well, and also even when the exhaust is ripped off or "race" option is chosen, the volume and raspiness increases slightly. I think the volume change should be more drastic personally, but the game's sounds already mimic real life counterparts quite well.

2. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Soon™

• Like Like x 11
  3. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Mmm, had someone else saying they all sounded like plastic. Well maybe one day we can do a recording session at a breakers yard rather than having to rely on sound libraries for this
    Certainly not a case of lacking production values, our values are extremely high!

4. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

This varies between engines, best the devs can do is fine tune each scenario to the best of their abilities. I have a car with a carburetted fully aluminium engine that's 30 years old with a non-xflow design and it's way louder at the front than at the rear. The same engine with multiport injection is incredibly silent and makes the exhaust seem louder in comparison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

:D

• Like Like x 3
  6. TYLERTJ

TYLERTJ
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I guess I should have said that it obviously varies from car to car. But do you get what I’m saying about the sounds being different from the front to the back, with the engine bay sounding more windy and clattering, and the back sounding more like exhaust? That’s essentially what I’m trying to say.

Of course, newer cars are a lot more refined and you’ll hear more engine and less clatter in the front. But, older cars are extremely noisy in the front. My car is 32 years old, and the radiator fan is so loud I can not hear exhaust whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I see what you're trying to say now.

8. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

There's a Vietnamese restaurant in my city called Thuan Kieu. And I just realized it doesn't have a Q. XD

• Like Like x 1
  9. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

any chance for a high revving (about 8-9k RPM) performance V8?

10. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

like the bolide? do you mean like a flatplane v8 sound, or just a smoother, more european sounding v8?

11. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

like something you'd hear in a Monster Truck or a Mega Truck.

12. MultiGamerClub

MultiGamerClub
    Expand Collapse

Not sure how or when this happened, but i just crashed a random car into a small tree and the sound was 50% less than what the engine sound is.

I think i made a thread earlier about this to be reduced, and now it is.. Just wanted to say thank you :)

The engine noise is now 100%

While crashing the crash noise is 50% so i can actually hear the engine while not getting a heart-attack from the loud noise of crash sounds that was before this ^^

13. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Hey Peeps!

I'm working on the suspension audio at the moment. As with other areas, we're not changing the code but trying to get more out of the it through FMOD.

In the last update, there are new suspension samples for the trucks/pickups/vans/semi/bus and trailers. These are a much 'looser' sound to try and convey additional rattles that you may hear with those vehicles, so it would be good to hear what you think about them?

At this stage it's all about making the best out of the code systems we already have, so there are elements missing which I'd like to support in the future, but hoping these are at least a positive improvement.

Cars next.

• Like Like x 5
  14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

After carefully testing with D15, I would say that it is perfect, one does not notice them so they blend in nicely, but when really listening one can tell how wonderfully balanced sounds are as jumping around hitting little bumps etc. all produce sound that is different strength depending from violency of impact.

So when I hit bit of front bumper when landing, thumps from suspension and rattle from bumper really complement each other and provide a lot of immersion, while not being too intrusive that you would notice them.

Bit like properly adjusted subwoofer, you can't tell there is a subwoofer, it blends in.

Test subject after testing:
    upload_2018-11-10_3-23-8.png

Comparing head to head Roamer here had much more convincing audio experience, ETK was too tight, is that is the term, sounds bit like someone would beat plastic barrel... However Roamer gives impression of the car, D15 somehow had more subtle element, kinda like range of velocity / power of sound would be better in balance, but it might be just that I did only quick test as it is past my bedtime already.
    upload_2018-11-10_3-44-58.png

You don't mind borrowing your car for comparison to IRL, I treat cars well? :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

agree with @fufsgfen but don't have the vocabulary to say it myself ^^^

the new gear grind sound is better than the old one, although it is really repetitive if you grind multiple in a row. it would be a lot better to have multiple sounds used, or at least modify the existing sound in some ways. i mean, you guys seem to have dozens of handbrake sounds in the game lol.
    could we get some insight as to how you record these transmission damage sounds? are they kind of emulated and then edited to produce a more realistic sound?

i'd really like to have an actual recorded sound from you guys going into some beater car and just grinding the hell out of some gears for realism purposes. it would fit a lot better i think, especially now that the sound system is getting really greatly needed overhaul, and most of the current audio is really top notch.

and a behind the scenes video to accompany the slight destruction of a poor rental car of course, for entertainment. :p

16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes fake sound works better than real thing, more controllable recording environment etc. Sound effects for movies are very often something completely different than what they sound like, really creative people behind sounds.

Difficulty with gear grinding is that usually there are several shafts and lot of different diameter gears, so grinding is different for each gear, rpm is different between shafts and that kinda makes frequency to be different, but as in Beam gearbox has just one rpm, gear and it's ratio would need to act as multiplier to frequency or something to have realistic different sound of grinding gears.

That however would probably require some code changes, I'm not sure about that, electrics has current gear and ratio of each gear is in jbeam, that should kinda be possible to get multiplier, but does sound side need more coding then, I have no idea.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

There is no new sound, it's the same always Oo

18. CHUCK NORRIS 2

CHUCK NORRIS 2
    Expand Collapse

uhmm ..... why do i find it changed too ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, in 0.14 sample sounds shorter and like grinding would happen with lower rpm gears, which is sounding less realistic than old sound, but maybe pitch multiplier by gearbox speed or something will make it in at some point.

Old sound length was better too, but that is something bit of variable, if you really crunch then it grinds short time only, but most will not do that as hearing grinding makes you kinda hesitate, which prolongs the grind.

I did just did test in 0.13 and in 0.14 both and it plays clearly differently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Maybe you had a mod that changed it before or something?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice