1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Audio Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nadeox1, Aug 9, 2017.

1. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

The way you have worked the muffling from a distance is beautiful! As mentioned in your previous post it's more than just a reduction in SPL, beautiful.

Now the only complaints I have:

1.) There is no global, "overall volume for all cars" slider
    2.) Afterfire pops are far too quiet - especially from a distance, they should be heard 4-5x further than the engine
    3.) Police sirens have very little range currently, again should be heard far louder and further than the engines.
    4.) Windows being blown out and open cockpits should remove the interior sound stage

These are personal issues, and I'm using this forum as an outlet but . . I wouldn't mind if they the ideas were taken into account! =D

Absolutely love how it's progressing!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Willy_Wonka

Willy_Wonka
    Expand Collapse

These subtle changes turned out to make a huge difference in my game experience. From the scraping of metal on rocks while offroading to the little whine in reverse, I love all of the new sounds.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Well, it was non-existent before - as in surround was not supported in-game. So if you thought it had it, perhaps you've got something going on in your audio setup.

As for volumes, you will start noticing games getting quieter over time now as developers start to adhere to global loudness standards. Just the like music industry, we've been suffering from a "loudness war" as well, and considering this is a sim and not an arcade game, it's a good idea to follow these standards. Unfortunately, if other games do not, there will be a difference betwen them. We've yet to find that 'magic' compromise, but everything is in place to follow it.
    --- Post updated ---
    Thank you.

1) Yes, there are many improvements we want to make to the audio settings, to give you guys more control. We've started the process of changing our mixing structure to allow for this.

2) Afterfire's are something on the list to revamp - since we're not recording our own vehicle's we also are reliant on third parties for these, and they almost always won't be from the same vehicle that we want. We have some good ideas on how to fix this.

3) We'll have a look.

4) The windows and open cockpits, as I've already mentioned on the forum, is a lot more complicated unfortunately. It's something we are pushing for, but there are some code issues to be sorted out, and so it goes on a priority list with every other code feature all disciplines are pushing for. I think, in all honesty, it is unfortunately unlikely.

• Informative Informative x 7
  4. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Hey @TDK don't know if you seen my message few pages back, but the engine sound of the Piccolina has some background noise to it, like the recording was done on a somewhat windy day & makes the sound "unclean" (no idea how to call it better). Is there something you can do about it? For some reason it bothers me more than it should o_O

But other than that, I can't complain about the sounds, they're top-notch; made some of the vehicle SO much more enjoyable to drive (mainly the V6 ones) :D

5. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

I've just loaded the car now and I can't say I can hear background noise. It's using the same samples as the SBR4 but has been EQ'd to make it sound less powerful, so that kinda makes sense in that the strong harmonics/tone will be less, leaving more of the mechanical noise to that engine/exhaust recording. Perhaps that's what you're hearing.

6. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

The best way I can describe it is a fan or air conditioning going in the background, creating that slight wind breeze sound that your microphone just about manages to catch

7. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

That would be odd as the samples are synthetically generated in some way. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

Just say it's the cooling fan. It's a feature :p. But I haven't noticed anything odd with the piccolina either, but I haven't been paying much attention.

9. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Imagine hearing this: but a bit less high-pitched & way quieter. Almost like the microphone used to record the engine sound was set onto a too sensitive setting & it was generating that typical white noise

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I play BeamNG with my headset, I quit the game, take headset off, notice soundscape around me IRL, put headset back on and start game again.

Is there more to say really :cool:
    --- Post updated ---
    There is ogg file in zip I recorded from game and removed sounds below 7000Hz, do you hear that sound there?

I used piccolina hood cam.

What I suspect is that sound of rockers etc. is possible sounding like hiss on background at certain conditions.

Attached Files:

11. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

I tried comparing them (yours vs. the ingame) & the "hiss" is noticable mainly on idle ingame, while other than that, both of the sound samples sound the same. It may be the actual mechanical sound of the real engine that was being recorded which makes me thing it's some wind blowing sound, but I have no clue...

12. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

electric motor sound is spot-on, just saw this on yt and had esbr flashbacks

1:00

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

If anyone is interested, my new album is available to pre-order. It includes the 5 Light Runner tracks released with the Halloween update last year - they've changed a little since then.

For all you guys and gals, use the code "beamngrulez" to get a 20% discount up until the release day (which, I will be trying to bring forwards).

https://marktdkknight.bandcamp.com/album/me

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Olrosse

Olrosse
    Expand Collapse

i have two questions about sound modding.

How do i adjust the position based EQ for the engine and exhaust? for example to get a mid engine with side exhaust sound right from most angles

and Is is possible to add multiple supercharger whines and noises to the same supercharger? if so how?

15. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

1) I believe the engine and exhaust position will follow wherever you put the engine and exhaust on the vehicle, but the ability to be able to change the emitter angle is not exposed currently.

2) Probably not, no.

16. crazysim

crazysim
    Expand Collapse

Is there any way to increase the maximum amount of concurrent sounds being played? My computer can simulate 10 vehicles just fine but 10 vehicles + action + map sfx seems to be overloading the sound system. Minute 1 pops in and out a bit. Minute 2 is especially bad.

#316 crazysim, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  17. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Go to the settings.ini and change the sounds from 128 to 256 =)

• Informative Informative x 4
  18. crazysim

crazysim
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! I will try that.
    --- Post updated ---
    I think my feedback on that then would be to add an Ultra option for 256.
    --- Post updated ---
    Hmm, no, it's still popping. It's this setting right?

AudioMaxChannels = 256

I'll get more video and maybe a video with that gigantic very opaque FPS debug window sometime later.
    --- Post updated ---

AudioMaxChannels=256
    --- Post updated ---
    I'll try 512 tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  19. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Only happen during replays? I noticed it would happen during replays and when near sound emitters in the game. But 256 for me solved it. Using a Sound Blaster Z!

20. crazysim

crazysim
    Expand Collapse

I haven't tried replays yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice