1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Audio Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nadeox1, Aug 9, 2017.

1. SuchSneak

SuchSneak
    Expand Collapse

It's been a while since I logged in, but I just wanted to say I appreciate the work you've put into the audio. The complaints I've had have been fixed like the tire squeals at low speeds and the terrain tire audio sounds balanced with the car engines now. Audio has always been a very important part of any game and it really helps Beaming become alive and feel authentic.

• Like Like x 5
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I did test some road surfaces of Template map.

Had Static object which I chose Old Asphalt option for surface type instead of default Asphalt, then I drove around.

Tire squeal did happen much sooner or at least hat was my impression, but also there was not much ramp up, it just screeched at high pitch almost instantly.

Second notion was that when rolling normally there was sound like seldom raindrops hitting roof of the tin shed when driving SBR4 on said surface.

I guess this second one is meant to be imperfections on surface making sounds, but all in all I feel that this old pavement sounds might be rather early WIP.

It is fairly simple to test just export enough large cube to drive on from blender and put on levels/template/art/shapes in your beamng documents folder, then change surface type from F11 editor (material editor has additional info at bottom where to find) and after setting go to groundmodel debug that at least updates new selection.
    That is if someone likes to test what sound I try to describe.

Of course next version of the game might have completely different setup, but if this has not been touched, I think it might be a good to have a listen of how it sounds as it was bit of mouth open eyes wide, what am I hearing moment at least for me, definitely not in line with other ground surface sounds.

3. Unster

Unster
    Expand Collapse

The update definitely improved the sound balance between idle & revving! I think it's really good now. The only issue I still hear is that some vehicles like the D-series and Hopper are too quiet overall compared to others.

4. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

In ETK models, the interior isn’t isolated enough from outside. It sounds like the windows are always down. In luxury cars like that, all outside noises should be a lot quieter than they are.

Also I notice there’s new turbo noises in the sbr4 and it’s cool

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Overheat

Overheat
    Expand Collapse

Yeah some engines got noticeably quieter, it's almost too quiet. Let those boys scream!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Audio seems to cut off when you crash really hard (like drag car crash at full speed into a solid wall)

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

What little I have tested, SBR4 TTB seems to have now hugely improved tire squealing, I still need to test properly, but what little I tested at Hiroichi race track, it was now possible to clearly identify that I'm entering to understeer, I'm worsening the understeer or reducing understeer, but turning more or less, I think it is really good audio feedback now.

Haven't tested much other cars, just GM and SBR4 TTB now.

Overall BeamNG is quieter than other games, but that is as BeamNG is following health recommendations unlike some other games.

But to give you an idea, in Winamp with SID plugin, I have chiptune awesomeness playing at 5% volume at the same time I play BeamNG drive at 100% volume and I'm thinking to reducing volume in Winamp as it is bit strong and not on background so much.

It is not a problem though as I can increase overall volume of headset.

Also I like how engines are not so dominant now as with speed increases tire and wind noises generally overpower engine sounds on standard not customized street cars around 150kph from my experience and game seems to be quite good with this.

I really like to point out ridiculous balancing of Project Cars 2, there I'm driving a race car at 200kph and I shift a gear, that metallic gear change sound is stronger than anything else, that game has so bad balancing with the sounds, that I end up deleting gear change sound files from it and it is still quite horrible and way too loud to comply with healthy gaming recommendations, so BeamNG team is already doing hugely better job than one of the 'big' driving games.
    In fact, samples, balancing, everything in sounds is better now in BeamNG than in Project Cars 2, now I could say BeamNG is best audio wise of all driving games, but I have to play bit more of this new update, anyway it is really close being there now.

If something, turbos and BOV's might be bit quiet, but that really depends from the car too, anyway, when Doug is driving this Vector, you can hear how loud wooshes and all turbo related noises are and as I'm building car related to this, I found out that I have to max out BOV sound volume to get anywhere close to it, I need to test more now in 0.23.0 about this, but bit less engine volume might help to extract bit more of other sounds volume in this new update:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AlternateSteve90

AlternateSteve90
    Expand Collapse

Hi everybody. Genuinely liking the new update for the most part so far, but I have run into a bit of a strange problem: it seems like this update might have actually broken some sound-related mods I had (including a couple of simple ones I'd made just by modifying JBEAM files, mainly using the legacy V6 sound that was used in the LeGran, etc. in place of the stock one in a car, such the V8s for the Moonhawk & Wendover) even though they actually ended up being fine after that last big update back in March(despite initial concerns otherwise admittedly). Has anybody else had this kind of problem? Talked to TDK on the Discord and he doesn't think he did anything that would have broken mods like that, so I thought I'd come here upon his suggestion.

I should note, too, that although the Verify Integrity process did find a total of 16 errors, none of them appeared to be related to my sound problem, and Automation cars & some Repository mods with third-party sounds do still work, so it seems really unlikely that the update itself is the culprit-so maybe some things got renamed or something?

9. Overheat

Overheat
    Expand Collapse

I have same problems, right after update. Also similar number of errors after Verify Integrity process.

10. mtslittow

mtslittow
    Expand Collapse

Once again, great job with the update!

Now that tread hums are in the game, right off the bat, the pitch of the tires seemed too low for a loaded T-series.
    I went cycling yesterday to record a passing semi truck. Here's the sound i managed to get. The truck was on the heavier end, and passed me at ~60 km/h.
    The perceived pitch of the real truck was 2.5 times that of Beamng's

• Like Like x 6
  11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I think that T-Series and Bus engines are too loud, when driving in car IRL and there is truck 4-5 vehicles ahead of you and you drive something around 50kph, it's engine sound is not drowning everything else (in audio volume sense) quite as it is in BeamNG, not sure if others hear it same though as these tend to be somewhat subjective aspects too.

Completely another point, some gear whines seem quite excessive, like Bolide, also you can hear sample looping quite heavily. I had FWD turbo diesel with gearbox on it's end of life and 3rd gear I could hear some whining under acceleration, but otherwise road noise drowned pretty much everything and you could hear bit of engine too under steady travel 80kph and 5th gear.
    Maybe it has to do with cockpit muffling too, but also this varies quite some between headsets.

Also have to mention tire squeal again, one of mod cars I have made (never released) was next to impossible to drive last summer, but updates to tire behavior and especially to tire squeal in 23 has made it really enjoyable to drive as now there is audible warning of approaching very narrow margin of limits the car has.
    For me, this 23 has made huge change how enjoyable driving fast is in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AlternateSteve90

AlternateSteve90
    Expand Collapse

Well, at least I know I'm not the only one who's had that exact problem. Hopefully I can get some more info on the main thread, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Logan Mikael

Logan Mikael
    Expand Collapse

i am with problem, don't have engine sounds, textures in the game cars and in brokens mods

#673 Logan Mikael, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  14. law1na

law1na
    Expand Collapse

disable all mods and deep clean cache

15. Logan Mikael

Logan Mikael
    Expand Collapse

I cleared cache and it didn't work

16. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

17. Logan Mikael

Logan Mikael
    Expand Collapse

in the engine sound of the game and mod cars, before it was with sound in version 0.22.3

#677 Logan Mikael, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  18. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Hey everyone, back from some time off. I'll start looking at this feedback now.
    --- Post updated ---
    If you are trying to replace a stock engine sound with a modded one, and you're saying that the modded one no-longer works after the update, then I need to see the mod you are using. I won't be installing it but I can look at the files to see if I've done something to cause this.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

This hasn't been metioned on this thread but I've heard some people have reported that some old engine sound samples are missing or otherwise not working in 0.23, which breaks some mods that used them. Specifically the B4, B4S, I4, L6, V6, V8, V8_2 and V10 samples. They all seem to be the ones that had no exhaust variant. EDIT: They are all the sounds in art/audio/engine folder.
    Also the engine audio debug tool is completely broken and unusable.

20. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

More likely that the starter sounds need balancing. I've NEVER looked at these.

If we start increasing idles - we loose more dynamic range... then peeps will start complaining that the engine sounds like powerful, the exhaust dets are too quiet etc..... it's all a fine balancing act... and we're just trying to keep ahead of all the changes to multiple cars which may, or may not, impact the audio. We have to stop at sometime so we can concentrate on other things. There will be a few vehicles which sound really wrong, and they can be addressed but we can't keep going through every vehicle to check multiple times for each release - we'd get nothing else done.
    --- Post updated ---
    Very difficult. It uses a synthesis system which we don't have... and I have to say that for me, it sounds a lot more than "a bit artificial"... but then part of my history is recording some of the vehicles used in previous Codies titles.
    --- Post updated ---
    Maybe the problem is, is that there is no art/audio/engine folder in the release version of the game. I'll dig!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice