1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Audio Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nadeox1, Aug 9, 2017.

1. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

Well, there is a vehicle me and @EcoNadder77 might be working on that utilizes Siren 12, but it's far too early to say for certain...at least right now. I'm sorry Fera, but you'll have to wait.

2. galaxynote2

galaxynote2
    Expand Collapse

I'm having problems trying to mod the engine starter sounds. I've already modified starter_start.ogg and starter_loop.ogg files but they don't work ingame. I can still hear the stock sound. It was working fine before the 0.12 update.
    They're placed like this. What I'm doing wrong?
    Code:
    "art\/sound\engine_starter\/starter_start.ogg",
                "art\/sound\engine_starter\/starter_start2.ogg",
                "art\/sound\engine_starter\/starter_loop.ogg",
                "art\/sound\engine_starter\/starter_loop2.ogg",

3. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Well you have double slashes in many of the paths, fix that and it should work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

So, we have a sound update, hurrah!

I've you've not seen the video announcement yet.....

This is just the start of things to come, so please carry on posting your thoughts and ideas in this thread.

• Like Like x 12
  5. TechMechanic

TechMechanic
    Expand Collapse

I like all the new sounds bar the new crash sound or metal deform sound, to me it just sounds like the car hits a wall and suddenly becomes a piece of crinkling tinfoil I wouldn't mind too much if it was at very slow speeds but it sound quite odd when crashing a car at over 200 mph.
    --- Post updated ---
    However it could just be preference.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. alex hart

alex hart
    Expand Collapse

honestly the sound is my favorite part of the update

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Unster

Unster
    Expand Collapse

I also preferred the old crash sounds. The new ones sound short & muffled. Even the engines now sound kind of muffled. Are these lower-quality audio files compared to the old ones? I remember the old crash sound was loud, crisp and stereo-like.

8. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

No, the opposite more likely. Also they are using a much more complete audio system now (previous was limited and basic)
    Also remember that the new sounds (sounds in general) are a work in progress, they will improve as we go.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Unster

Unster
    Expand Collapse

With the new sounds I also feel that the Barstow and Moonhawk's idle are too quiet. You can barely hear it, especially when coasting on dirt roads (all you hear is the road noise). Those old muscle cars should have fairly loud idle. But it sounds like the big block engine now has the same volume as the others, so that's good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

That's quite surprising. The old crash 'system' had one mono sample for every type of crash... plus of course the glass samples, which I've turned down as they were too loud.

This interim system uses 33 samples currently, with different weighings. It was however a quick fix to replace the single sample, trying to use as little code support as possible as it was late in the day - there was some work done on the impulses registered from a 'crash'.... so for the new sounds to be duller and, if you thought the original sample was stereo (which it wasn't) more mono.... I can't explain why you'd experience them like that.

We will be working on a completely new system in due course, which will hopefully work more based around material types.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

The sounds from automation cars end up being rediculously quiet. A straight piped i3 sounds wisper quiet next to a d series.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. CrashHard

CrashHard
    Expand Collapse

First of all i love the new skidding sound, and the crash sounds are just fantastic so far, good job. For the future are there plans to add sounds for sliding on the roof or side, for rims rolling on the asphalt. And parts dragging on the ground like a bent frame or exaust pipes? Keep up the great work :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Thank you :) Yeah, asphalt skids in particular are working well - just need to sort out tyre sizes and things like that.

In a single word... yes, at least for the car!

Detecting scraps is actually quite a complex issue from a code point of view, and the guys have started on this - but of course put on hold whilst we got the update sorted out. If we have scraping for an undamaged car, I see no reason why this wouldn't work for parts dragging on the ground as well (but I'm not a coder).

Rims would benefit from this as well, but I would prioritise these a lot lower if they end up needing bespoke code.

Thanks for the kind words :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. CrashHard

CrashHard
    Expand Collapse

And thank you for the quick reply :)
    Im no coder myself, and the rim sound is not that important with the awesome deflated tire sound, but could it be done the same way?

15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

@TDK here is another reference for you, this time inside view which based on my own experience gives very close to what you really hear, except lacking ton of bass of engine sound:

But there is more to it, this is kind and age of truck what you have ingame, 14 liter 444hp engine:

Quite a difference, but from latter loud exhaust note of the engine is also triggering recording devices volume adjustment, so levels what ear would hear could be quite different. Why not everyone can have a perfect recording studio with them? :D

Bass is then difficult subject, I'm using Koss porta pro headphones mostly, which are said to have too pronounced loudness effect, so not very optimal, can't really use my speakers and sub in an apartment to have proper levels. Anyway, lot of bass IRL truck is what you feel, it goes really low and from bottom end of hearing range upwards there is lots of it, but also below that. It must be a challenge to get that or any part of that replicated in game and then you probably need to balance it as people would start quickly complaining about truck in their gaming room :D

Anyway, bass and lower end is what I'm kinda missing a bit with current sounds, kind of bass that surrounds you but is not easily defined as a any kind of sound, it is like blanket of bass around you that you can kind of hear but more of acknowledge it is there.

Semi sound is really really close to this video though, that subtle turbo whine might be something that is louder IRL and was just not picked up by camera too well, but if I try to play video and BeamNG semi one after another, it is really really close, imo!

Recording device quality is just not best in that, misses bit of bass, has everything muffled and twisted, high frequencies seem to be kind of cut? Anyway one can get idea from it.

So between all this information, figuring out how to balance everything will not be easy, but I guess that it is to give better overall picture of the sound than just one external video.

Adding to challenge is fact that it is not known what mods trucks have. Straight pipes change sound a lot, much more than most videos will let one hear, turbo is loud and can be heard even at idle without exhaust, while modern quiet exhaust does not let much any of turbo's sound to escape. Older vehicles generally whistle more as exhausts are more open.

80's truck I drove a short time had whistle always there, you could hear throttle changes from change in whistle at steady speed, slight change in ground incline and slight change in throttle, whistle reacted to that. Road and wind noise as well as engine rumble overpowered sound at very small throttle, but at 80kph needed throttle was enough to spool thing up so it was audible again. It is very interesting soundscape.

Not sure if that helps or just adds to challenge, but though I share bit more thoughts on this.

• Like Like x 3
  16. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

No worries :) That would be one for @Diamondback to answer,,,,

• Like Like x 2
  17. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

As tire deflate sound is WIP as whole system, I believe there will be volume ramping implemented at some point?

It is really nice effect, but also I would like to point out that tire is not flat only at one sector of the tire, air always runs out of bottom and as tire rotates it still is at the bottom where air has escaped.

Currently location of escaped air is rotating with the tire.

Well just a thought I thought to share :p

18. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

I think it could be "attached" to the nodes, if a node hits the ground, it plays "the" sound, depending on the speed of a node and the force on the node(or just attach it to the node friction and material)
    If you can code that into the game, it would work in all cases I think.

Anyways, I said it before but I really like the new sounds.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  19. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Wow, that's a lot in one post.. I'm actually on other work right now so will keep it brief.

We're looking in to the engine sound situation at the moment. The system we're using is quite different to the norm for games, which tend to use either a granular engine system like at my previous employer, Codemasters, or a rev band system like Forza with samples recorded either on track or on a rolling road with the aim of getting a hyper-real, hollywoodised, sound for games... Beam is quite different in that the ultimate aim is that of realisism (as far as you can when trying to make any sound work within an interactive environment.... So right this moment in time, we're quite limited.... but for sure we're investigating this.

As for bass. Well that's extremely subjective, and you always have to be very careful with bass. It can take up your audio bandwidth if you're not careful with it, and you can also make sound extremely fatiguing if it's constant. Bass, especially LFE should be used as an effect in its own right, and not something which is simply there all of the time. Again, we have what we have for engine sounds currently. I don't think upping the bottom end of those sounds is a good idea at all. We need space in the low frequencies for sounds like impacts to cut through the mix (indeed the crash sounds have some added LFE right now). As for the real life truck's bass "goes really low and from bottom end of hearing range upwards there is lots of it, but also below that." - if that were the case, you're openly asking to not be in control of your own bowels, so I wouldn't advise that at all ;)

I don't think there's so much of a requirement for the sort of ultra low bass you're talking about franky, around the 20-40hz range. It really should be used for the odd effect.

Add to the issue that some people will comment on bass, or the mix, from listening with their own bass enhanced speakers, their 80 euro Logitech grot boxes, etc. etc. All of which are giving you a compromised sound based on their cheap components and design. On the flip side, I'm using a pair of 3500 euro Neumann speakers....... plus a pair of Avantone grot boxes to give me more of a "this is what the customer will hear" sound... and then for me it's a balance between the two. No point listen just on expensive speakers when the target market won't be... but also no point just listening on one pair of cheap speakers when a different pair will sound completely different....

That being said, you can't really mix a game properly, just like any piece of music, until all the individual elements are there - and of course there's still quite a bit of work to do in that area.

We must also remember that there's a lot of sharing of sound assets between the different vehicles. What sounds right for one, may well sound wrong for another, so at this point in time there has to be compromise to get everything acceptable. Once we've achieved that, we'll look at what we then 'promote' within the mix.

We can't model exhaust pipes at the moment. Indeed currently the engine and exhaust are mixed together and played from a single emitter, so this will change as soon as possible.... but even then we won't be modelling exhausts for a while (I've wanted to do this for around 10 years now btw).

It's probably easier to put your points in separate posts, I dunno, just to make it easier and quicker to respond to, but thanks a lot for your feedback. It's good to have some OCD sound people to keep us on our toes... We don't know everything, and can learn from you guys.... I'd not thought about the significant difference with a semi turbo spindle compared to the one in my own Scooby, for example :)

m
    --- Post updated ---
    (I didn't keep it brief, lol)

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

How we are supposed to keep brief of something we are passionate about? Impossible :D

They did 7.1 wrong, instead of surround sound, they should of added frequenzy channels, you would choose channel that sample plays, while speakers should have several elements connected of those different channels, so you could choose two 50Hz sounds playing trough two different elements, that would give bit more bandwidth, I guess we don't have much more today than Adlib days as it is still 2 speakers that sound has to work on.

Maybe I contact Creative, 4 channel 16.4 system could have 4 cylinder engine playing almost accurately, you can figure out how to record samples for that :D

I just share my thoughts and what I find, maybe sometimes it is useful, but don't feel required to address all points, I don't want to rob your time here!

Anyway, about low frequencies, there is a interesting study here, it is about cars, but it is mentioned that lorries have it louder:

upload_2018-7-18_21-11-24.png
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0123835

This one has spectral analysis of semi truck sound, which might also be some of interesting:
    http://www.adc40.org/presentations/winter2010/08PresentationTRBWinter2010.pdf

Not sure if I want that 1:1 realism though, my driving times have already left my left ear bit lacking, but though you might be interested to see some data :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice