1. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Audio Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nadeox1, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Unster

Unster
    Expand Collapse

I could be wrong on the stereo vs. mono comparison. I didn't play the 0.13 version and previous version back to back. There were several days in between where I played other games, so it's possible I didn't exactly remember what the previous sound was like. I do know the glass breaking was louder in the older version. Maybe it was too loud like you say but now I feel it's too quiet. Same goes for the engine idle for some cars like the Moonhawk and Barstow as I mentioned. Maybe it's the road noise that needs to be toned down.

2. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Yep, passion can be a time consumer sometimes.

Thanks for that info, I've saved that to read later.
    --- Post updated ---
    OK, thank you!

3. whatitmeansome

whatitmeansome
    Expand Collapse

I have been waiting soooo long for a supercharger sound!!!!! But I sadly can’t use it myself for another 4 weeks as I’m on vacation without my pc

• Like Like x 1
  4. Unster

Unster
    Expand Collapse

I'm starting to like the new crash sounds. But what's that clicking sound I'm hearing? Sounds like an interior sound from the other (AI) vehicle. I don't hear it if I'm just driving by myself.

Update:
    Pretty sure it's the parking brake. I posted that in the general feedback thread as well.

#144 Unster, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  5. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Ok, if you get the opportunity to record a video, please do. We’re a small team with a lot to do, so that would just help us identify and fix the issue quicker.

6. Unster

Unster
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I don't have a program to record a video. But it should be fairly easy to reproduce. I hear it when I spawn an AI car and set it to flee and the AI car tries to do hard turns or is spinning out. It appears the AI uses the hand brake in those situations. The reason I think it's the hand brake is that it sounds exactly like when the hand brake is operated in the player's car. It can only be heard while the driver camera is on.

7. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

do you have Windows 10? Windows 10 has a built-in game recorder. press the windows key + G

8. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

TIL the audio guy is from CM... where I spend all my time....
    If I may ask what did you work on? F1, Grid, Dirt, or all?
    --- Post updated ---
    I'm just going to nitpick the video. :p Haven't tried the update yet, didn't know there was an audio update, thought it was just the Automation thing.

The gravel sound is actually pretty decent, but there's no rocks hitting the underside...panels...bottom. Kind of sounds more like sledding on gravel than rocks flying up. Or I guess just low speed driving.
    Adding some rock pings in at higher speeds could be pretty good, love that in Dirt Rally.

The crash sounds a LOT better, I think people might maybe miss the loud crash and probably some LFE. It does sound a bit like crushing rather than impact.

9. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

All of them. I started at CM late 2007 when GRID was going alpha. It was not in a good state sound wise, so we had 6 months (including having a baby) to get it shipable. That gave me the opportunity to identify most of the issues at CM. Bad car recordings, out of date engine synthesis, backwards implementation tools etc... so then my plan over the next 3 years was to increase those, so then led the sound design on DiRT2/3 and F1...then I took more of an overview of everything we worked on... until doing the music for F1 15/16/17 and then leaving.

We you do have the rocks hitting the wheel-arches. which is the same effect as hitting the floor. You'll obviously get a lot more of that when the wheels are slipping.

The impact system will be re-written.. I just wanted to replace the single sample we were using previously.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

You like to do music? Maybe the garage could use some.... ;)

11. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

The entire front end of flow needs some musical background imo... Garage should have a "radio" playing in the background, which could be the front end music processed to sound like tiny speakers.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

more engine sounds would be nice. also, the sound used for the Hopper's i6 has somewhat of a popping sound if you let of the throttle then immediately get back on the throttle and that ANNOYS me so much. another thing that is a nitpick is the sound for the T-series doesn't sound throaty enough for it's age (something like a Caterpillar, Detroit two-stoke, or a Cummins sound would be Ideal) now that we have an audio engineer that did work on some REALLY good games, I expect the sound quality to increase.

13. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Haha, nothing like a bit of pressure then!!!! ;)

Engine audio is obviously a bit priority. We're looking at how we expand the engine audio at the moment. The engine audio system is, in a typically (good) Beam fashion, different to how most games do it... so it'll take a bit more time but you can be sure that it's on our radar.

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

A car crashing into something sounds like a shopping cart getting into an accident in the parking lot, personally I'm not a fan of the new crash sounds.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. DD-Indeed

DD-Indeed
    Expand Collapse

Exactly my thoughts.

16. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

The old single crash sound the game had previously, was just that... a single sample for no matter what you crashed in to, and how hard of softly that impact happened. I'm sorry that you think that's better. I have to disagree with you I'm afraid.

As we've already said, the impacts are very much a WIP. Currently the sound deals with what happens to the vehicle, in a pretty basic way... but we consider this quite an improvement from playing a single sound for everything.

As we flesh out and improve the impact system we'll be adding support for different material types, sizes etc. etc. but right now... it was a case of keeping the old sample, or trying to improve on that with minimal code support - which is what we've done right now.

m

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

Now I'm waiting for you guys to implement a big jelly blob so I can hear a car crash into it at 150 with a sudden wet thud...
    I wonder if it will be friends with me?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

It is better than the old sound by far, however I am looking forward to future improvements.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Haha sounds good. I think I may have trouble convincing the coders to allow me to have material_type=jelly though :D

20. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Take some quiet street car, adjust volume levels of headphones so that it sounds reasonably like a car, not too quiet, then crash hard, right there one will start to appreciate these crashing sounds.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice