Auto lock inactive threads

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Zero, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I saw this idea posted back 4 years ago by @crazikyle.
    I figured maybe now would be a good time to bring this idea up to discussion again, as it never gained traction.

Especially lately, there are years old topics that get bumped by people that does not know the thread is old.
    The big red pop up on old threads are sadly not enough, and it happens over and over again.
    And after it's been bumped, the next person to respond will not get the red box and could easily be triggered into thinking it's a new topic (I've been there.)

The thread could be reopened by either an moderator or OP.
    If moderation resources are not there, then I am sure there are plenty of people in the community who would want to volunteer.

Would be nice to hear if anyone from the BeamNG team could give their view on this, and if it's something that has been thought about before.

2. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

I feel like this, while preventing some unwanted spam, will end up becoming more of an inconvenience out of anything. Some threads need to be bumped for good reason

Perhaps the creator of the thread still can have permission to comment which will unlock the thread? Although even still there will still be issues.

Maybe someone else has some other ideas?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

Right, exactly.

That's what I wrote, let the OP (the creator) or a moderator unlock the thread if needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

Oops sorry, I must've missed that.

Another option is a member can suggest for a thread to be re-opened or comments posted on the thread need to go through approval to ensure they're relevant to prevent unnecessary bumping.

The issue with this is an increased workload on the moderators for little benefit.

5. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

I'm actually for the comments having to go through moderators to be allowed to bump. Usually there are 1-2 bumps a day at most, it should not take up much time to approve/disapprove.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

True, approving comments to unlock a thread may actually reduce moderation workload compared to having to clean up half a page of spam and people calling 'bump'

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice