Auto replay recording / Enhanced replay functionality for non free-roaming applications

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by monobrau, Apr 8, 2021.

1. monobrau

monobrau
    Expand Collapse

The replay system is very useful. It can give a incredible amount of power to view a drive at any angle, no matter how good or bad it ends up being for the driver. However, when it comes to time trials and scenarios, using the replay system seems somewhat clunky when compared to other simulation titles. It is one more thing someone would have to worry about if they were trying to slam down a lot of magic one lappers on a circuit, or a hill climb of death.

Therefore, I propose a solution to this issue.

Having the ability for the game to automatically start a replay along with a scenario start, and save at the end, either automatically after a successful finish or manually after every finish would make the recording of a lot less tedious. Maybe even the option to manually save after every reset would be a nice addition too if the situation called for it (I.e. Incredible Vivace crash that lands upside down on a moving bus).

I use Beam.NG for a lot of time trial related events, and having an option like this might change trial events for the better. It could even have the chance to be used to validate a run!... Obviously, there have been many historical caveats in speed-running that involved using replays, including the demo replay cheating that once plagued the Doom speed-running community. However, stitching together a million nodes from two different replays manually for 400 frames might make it a little more difficult to make convincingly than than changing some text in a 2.7 kilobyte replay from doom.

Even if some magic AI Beam.NG replay editor came along, it could still serve as excellent secondary way of viewing for another user since it's not always interesting to view at a static angle, especially if there's a lot going on. You can't really gauge how close that rally car really was to hitting a wall from a Shadowplay recording afterwards while viewing it in a cockpit.

And even if it's never used for a speed run, it just seems like an obvious option for someone to use.

Tldr: Replays that automatically recorded on scenarios or other similar events would be useful and convenient.

Thank you for reading my essay, and thank you for listening to my ted talk.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice