Automatic or Manual

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by SixSixSevenSeven, Jan 16, 2014.

?

Manual or auto

1. Manual

170 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Auto

34 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Locals know better, but tourists don't. It's extremely common to see people riding their brakes down mountain roads out west.
    It's similar to the Moraine Sweep at Road America, if you don't downshift, you'll have some very unhappy brakes.

2. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

You can downshift autos.. Only stupid people ride their brakes.

3. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

I know and I was only wondering if they are so stupid

4. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

FC, It wasn't any RX-7 but the Turbo II, far as I remembered, Cousin upgraded the turbo along with a few other goodies, so engine was pushing about 260-ish HP. I only stalled 3 times while first learning it in the parking lot, that was because I was letting off the clutch too fast.

5. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Oh my damn that is absolutely fantastic. I remember now one of your older posts, IIRC your cousin ended up trading in the turbo 2 right?

6. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

No real point in learning, a lot of cars over here have been auto only for decades, and it's actually hard to find a car with a manual transmission that isn't sporty, FWD, an econobox, or a truck and even then your options are still limited to mostly older cars.

7. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, he would've kept the car had not the "accident" happened he says jokingly, but yeah he regretted selling it and should've kept it, but considering the wife pressured him to buy something bigger, wasn't much he could do.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

yeah i watched some shitty 240p of someone in their garage pressing a clutch pedal and that made me understand it :p

9. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

Explain what this sign means then, manual peasants.

10. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Are you serious right now? Grow up
    Edit: Me when tired can be a bit of an ass and fail to see humor

#110 opkraut, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  11. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

As a "manual peasant" myself, I have to say that comment didn't offend me one bit... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I'm just getting out of school now, my tolerance for people is a bit impaired... Ah well I get to take some stress out on backroads at least

13. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

Why are you always mad at people trying to enjoy their stay on the forums. Perhaps you should grow up and become more tolerable for people instead of getting on them 24/7.

14. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

Well this thread got derailed quickly...

OT: I just got my learner licence in Australia and since all the cars my family owns are manuals (Suzuki Grand Vitara, Grand Vitara XL-7, 1970 Jaguar XJ6) I won't be driving an auto anytime soon. I've driven automatic single speed utility vehicles and frankly it's extremely boring.

15. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

It means to change gearbox to low-range, and, yes, I am a manual peasant, as I belive it allows me to not constantly shift between 2-3 gear while driving, cause that is annoying and really bizarre when it happens

16. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

I like automatic. Don't hate me.

17. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

depends on the car, a big diesel saloon deserves an automatic. but a fun little hatchback with a high revving engine should have a manual

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

honest opinion, it should be illegal to drive without knowledge of driving manual. Right now nothing in US law prevents a person learning to drive nothing but auto, getting their license, going out and buying a v8 mustang in stick and plowing through a crowd of people. Or getting behind the wheel of a big heavy SUV and plowing through a crowd of people. Or a junction.

Can nobody see why the US drivers licensing system is so poor? To me it seems outright dangerous, and not just that, completely daft to have people on the road that dont have any concept of how to drive a car properly.

A surgeon doesnt qualify for surgery based on being able to stitch a minor wound.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

1982 F-100 3 speed 300ci i6 (originally column shift, if you know where i can get the linkage, let me know)
    and 2002 ford ZX5 focus 5 speed 4 banger

20. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

It's pretty scary how bad our licensing system is. There isn't any training on how to handle emergency maneuvers, driving in snow, and a lot of other important driving skills. The behind the wheel driving part is pretty bad as well. It doesn't accurately portray real world driving, and the driver-ed car only obstructs traffic because its always at or below the speed limit

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice