Automatic or Manual

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by SixSixSevenSeven, Jan 16, 2014.

?

Manual or auto

1. Manual

170 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Auto

34 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

Same here, with the exception of a '98 Boxster with a 5-speed manual (which my dad owns). However the car's in storage over the Canadian winter season, so hopefully once spring rolls around, I hopefully learn how to drive standard.

2. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I'm assuming you mean America by "over here", in which case there are plenty of cheap $500-$600 Honda's on craigslist that have manuals

3. James Smith

James Smith
    Expand Collapse

I wish.

4. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

In my area there was a manual Accord for $600. There was also a 1960s firetruck for ~$2000.

5. James Smith

James Smith
    Expand Collapse

I usually just see 1960's-70's muscle cars and trucks in manual.

6. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

Okay, Admitadly there are a fair few cars with manual transmissions in the US, but there are almost no cars that are manual and rear wheel drive made after 96 that aren't from European companies that are not sports cars, pickups or SUVs.

7. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Probably depends on where you're from. I'd imagine bigger cities are going to be more automatic cars.

8. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

even relatively modern automatics (torque converter) such as the ZF-8 aren't perfect, there are multiple times that i have seen it go wild revving past 3400rpm (diesel) when really you need about 2500rpm to accelerate. But paddle shifters are a thing so it isn't as bad.

My grandads rangerover 3.8TDV8 has a silly gearbox, under normal acceleration it goes past 3000rpm which in my opinion is unacceptable in a diesel V8, its noisy too, it should just waft along at 2000rpm at low speeds and possibly 2500rpm on the motorway.

Manuals will never be as smooth as Automatics since with an auto you have a torque converter, this can be unlocked and locked to add difference between gears, for example 1st and 2nd (apparent on the Gavril D15) when you accelerate off at 2500rpm and when it goes to 2nd the RPMs don't just drop to 1800rpm they stay at 2500rpm with torque magnification. It also makes it smooth, and if tuned right then it can feel like there is no gears to the car (Rolls Royce)

Which is what i don't understand, if Rolls Royce went to all the trouble of making a ZF-6/ZF-8 to feel like it didn't have any gears then why didn't they just use a CVT, people don't flamewar the rolls royce but CVTs are flameward all the time

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice