1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Automation Soft Body Physics?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AshtonGamer, Jun 25, 2018.

1. AshtonGamer

AshtonGamer
    Expand Collapse

Hello, so I have heard about the automation update for BeamNG. But I have 2 questions. 1. When the update for automation and BeamNG is released do we have to go to the BeamNG website too get the discount on automation (I think we are getting a discount) or is it just going to happen in steam? 2. With cars from Automation will it have soft body physics? Because if it doesn't then count me out of the automation update.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Every vehicle in this game has soft-body physics, and so will the cars ported from Automation. They will, however, have a very simplified structure as the method the devs are currently using to port the vehicles cannot generate a highly detailed node/beam structure, especially with all of the variances in styling that are possible with cars made in Automation.

Here's a video where the automation devs crash ported cars and explain how the damage will work (at the 1 minute mark you will damage):

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

^^^^^^^

Edited.

4. AshtonGamer

AshtonGamer
    Expand Collapse

Mod quality? From Neilogical's video, the soft body was VERY poor (to me at least)
    --- Post updated ---
    Ok, still looks kind of poor, but ok! I will buy the game anyway (because I cant really even think of what to play now I have like 100 cars in BeamNG……)

5. Daffyflyer

Daffyflyer
    Expand Collapse
    Automation Team

Note that the jbeam stuff is still being worked on right now, the dev build already crashes quite a lot better.

It'll never be as good as the normal Beam cars, but it's now working pretty well besides the lack of removable panels :)

• Informative Informative x 6
  6. henryjhost

henryjhost
    Expand Collapse

I have a question. Will the cars being imported have the same wheel hub system as the regular beam cars?

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

Will they also have horn support?

8. SandwichesANDmilk

SandwichesANDmilk
    Expand Collapse

will each car be separate in the vehicle selector or under one vehicle?
    --- Post updated ---
    also, you guys should add some BeamNG rims to automation.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. AshtonGamer

AshtonGamer
    Expand Collapse

10. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

I don't see why they wouldn't have support for it, and it's not that hard to add it in after the fact either if you want it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Unster

Unster
    Expand Collapse

I agree with the sentiment here about the crash physics on Automation vehicles. They look low-quality. If it stays like that, I don't even see the point of bringing Automation into BeamNG. BeamNG is all about the realism of the physics, especially the collisions.

12. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Because there is more to do in the game than just crashing the same 20-something cars over and over. By your logic why would we bother having nearly anything they have added to the game in the past couple of years. Softbody physics, grid map, and a couple of cars would’ve been the entire thing.

I wouldn’t say “especially the collisions” at all. High speed collisions often result in physics instabilities, and low speed crashes don’t look right without dents/scratches. Until recently, crash welding was such a problem that any time the wheels or bumpers contacted another body the car would get stuck. Lately, BeamNG has put a decent amount of recourses into AI. They have put a lot of recourses into the driving physics, which many people enjoy. The ability to design our own cars, both mechanics and aesthetics will provide a great chance to further enjoy the physics and make our own silly creations to drive in one of the most realistic driving games around today.

These vehicles also should provide a decent starting point for modding.

If you don’t care about cars or driving in this game then suit yourself fine, though I don’t see why you would choose this over something like RoR. As for the rest of us, we will be enjoying having our own silly creations to play with, because why shouldn’t you want a 2 liter V12 minivan?

#12 ManfredE3, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Unster

Unster
    Expand Collapse

I think you misread my post or took it too literally. I welcome more maps & vehicles, as well as better AI and more game play options. Crashing is certainly not all I do in BeamNG. In fact I prefer car chases, followed by a violent crash. :) But without the realistic physics & collisions, I might as well play something like NFS which has more content but arcady physics. Without the physics & collisions, BeamNG is nothing. So I'm just hoping this Automation will add real value to BeamNG for us who like the realism.

14. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I guess I’m just use to having to explain things to folks who are just here for the soft body physics :p

Just remember, now we have access to making some really silly vehicles to test in BeamNG.Drive, I’m certainly looking forwards to all those new possible engine sounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Daffyflyer

Daffyflyer
    Expand Collapse
    Automation Team

I'd say if you're in it for designing your own car in detail, and then finding out how it performs (handling, acceleration/braking performance, driving feel, gearbox performance, engine sound, off roading ability, drivetrain/differential behaviour, whatever) then you'll enjoy this exporter. That's the main point of it, to be able to drive a car you've designed and feel what it's like.

If you're specifically keen on designing stuff and seeing how it crashes/deforms, then it's probably less fun for that, as the crash performance won't change hugely between designs, and won't be quite as detailed as normal BeamNG cars, though they still behave pretty sanely in crashes.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Everyone seems to be hell bent on the whole "NEEDS GOOD CRASHES TO BE GOUD!!1!" but that just is not the case. Remember, BeamNG is a simulation. It is designed to simulate EVERY aspect of a vehicle to the best of its abilities. THAT is where the whole soft body physics thing comes into play. Cars are not just solid rigid things... they move, flex, and bend with the forces that they experience in everyday use. SO to best simulate all of that feeling you get from a car that CAN flex... you need to make a simulation that can properly simulate that flex. THAT is what the softbody physics are for... the fact that it enables extremely good crashes is merely a byproduct of simulating the entire car properly. That is it. Remember, this is a driving simulator... not a crashing simulator... it just happens to be very good at both.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Unster

Unster
    Expand Collapse

No disagreement there. That's exactly what I love about BeamNG, i.e. how it simulates a vehicle's motion, including the collisions. I guess I'm not really into designing my own vehicles, so I'll stick with the true BeamNG vehicles that behave more realistically.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice