WIP Banpei Megami [BSC]

Discussion in 'Land' started by Bakasan, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

クルマ
    qz0Wfup.png 1970 Banpei Megami 2.png 1970 Banpei Megami 3.png 1970 Banpei Megami 4.png 1970 Banpei Megami 5.png 1970 Banpei Megami 6.png 1970 Banpei Megami 6.5.png 1970 Banpei Megami 7.png 1970 Banpei Megami 8.png 1970 Banpei Megami 9.png 1970 Banpei Megami 10.png

A brief description: The Banpei Megami was launched in February 1970, aiming to make performance vehicles more accessible, especially to younger drivers. Upon it's release, 4 trim levels were offered, the base "1400", aimed at economy. Next was the "1600L", having a luxury vibe to it. The 1600S was next, offering performance at a cheaper price, and the 1600GT [pictured above] was the definitive model. The car's simplicity combined with it's front engined, rear wheel drive layout result in exceptional handling characteristics, and as a result the Megami has proven to be quite successful in various motorsports, namely circuit racing and rallying.

About this project: Seeing as most of my cars are not really ready for in game use [the MacPherson issue doesn't help either], I decided to make a mod for BeamNG that was currently possible, and that I would enjoy. I decided to create a new model that would work in BeamNG, so I could put in game. This will serve as a learning exercise for me as well for my future mods

Ingame progress:
    screenshot_00031.png screenshot_00032.png screenshot_00033.png
    As you can see, I managed to get the bodyshell ingame on a simple box jbeam. I played around with the materials to get a nice shiny paint finish too. The next thing to to is to create a jbeam for this bodyshell.

Modeling: I started the model a week ago, and it's nearly done:). All that is left to do is a bit of interior modeling, as well the inside of some parts such as the front wings, and finally creating textures and mapping them to the car:D

Jbeam: I will be creating the jbeam from scratch, because I want to learn how they work completely, and it's best to create a jbeam specific to the vehicle you are making. So far, the jbeam is just a bounding box (I know, it's pathetic), although I think I know how to go about making something a little more complex. Hopefully i can use the method of importing a basic model to nodes, as that would be a lot easier in both it matching the car and time.

Here's some specs of the GT model posted above:
    Name: 1970 Banpei Megami 1600GT
    Production: Feb 1970-Dec 1975
    Engine: Banpei T16G - 1593cc [87x67mm] inline 4, DOHC 8 valve twin 40mm side draft carburetor - 120PS@6600rpm
    Redline: 8000rpm
    Specific output: 75.33bhp/litre
    Gearbox: 5 speed manual
    Front suspension: MacPherson Strut
    Rear suspension: 5 link live axle, separate coil and spring
    Brakes: Ventilated disc [F] Drum [R]
    Steering: rack and pinion
    Dry Mass: 922kg
    Weigh distribution: 50/50 (or thereabouts)
    Power to weight ratio: 130.15bhp/ton
    Overall rating: Hella fun car;)

Planned versions:
    • A Liftback (released in 1972)
    • Facelift version (1973 onwards)
    • Various race versions
    That's about all for now, if you have any suggestions, or can offer any advice, please comment below or send me a PM. Ja ne ^_^

#1 Bakasan, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Marnix

Marnix
    Expand Collapse

Looks good man :D, haha like the background story btw ;).
    Front looks a bit like the camaro lookalike from GTA4/5 (believe its called Victor or something) wich is nice, and the rear looks like your standerd 'Murican 70's rear end.
    Overall looks great :cool:
    (Oh, and you better make an overpowerd drag race version of it ;))

3. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

The car you're thinking of is the Declasse Vigero, which was based off a MK1 Chevrolet Camaro. You certainly can see some American influences in Japanese vehicles of this period, but that's only natural as car designers all over the world get inspiration and ideas for each other.

I suppose a drag version could be done, although I see this as more of a track/rally orientated vehicle. Once it's drivable, I will make more versions of it;) [and there's always community mods:)]

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

This may be the first vehicle shown (acting as if your other thread didn't exist) on these forums that was made in sketchup that actually looks awesome.

5. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

it's got a datsun feel to it

6. ItaliAsian

ItaliAsian
    Expand Collapse

I think it is more like a first generation Toyota Celica.
    1970_Toyota_Celica_01.jpg

7. R3VAMP3RZ

R3VAMP3RZ
    Expand Collapse

I cant wait for this car to come out!!! I love it how more and more people are trying to learn JBEAM including me!! Have fun..

8. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

This is the car that the Megami is based from, you can see the most similarities within the grille and side profile, and the general characteristics of the vehicle.

- - - Updated - - -

Progress;)

Started the beamy for the bodysell, looks like so:
    1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG
    It was made from a 3d model, so it still needs cross beams, but the shape is the same. currently at 109 nodes:)

Whats more, I actually managed to get it to work ingame as you can see below. The beams fit rather nicely, thus I am happy:D

screenshot_00034.png screenshot_00035.png screenshot_00036.png
    However, as is the course of nature, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, which it did when my Megami decided it would be a good idea to turn into soup the moment it spawned
    screenshot_00037.png
    I'm not too sure whether it's because i don't have any cross beams yet, or if the beam strengths are too weak, or both of these, or just the fact that I have some sort of curse in which everything I make will fall to bits. If you have an idea on how to fix this, please comment below.

It also seems that the mesh is not mapping properly the way it stretches out extra far, while the jbeam does not nearly deform as much. Again if you know how to fix it, please comment below.

Overall I am very happy with the progress so far. Once the chassis stops trying to divide by zero, I can add the engine and suspension and drive around. Of course, after many more explosions and annoying bugs.

bug3.jpg
    ^^It's all your fault:p

I will look forward to producing more nodes and beams, please leave any suggestions or useful information below:eek:

9. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

I really like this so far, some very very nice modelling and a brilliant design. I can see a lot of little design features from different cars.

Very nice work as always Bakasan :D

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

If spring, damp and node weight aren't in perfect balance then this tends to happen. Take a look at the parameters used on some existing mods.

Beam strength is just for when the beam physically gets destroyed rather than deforming I think

11. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! I'm glad you like it:eek:

Right, so I added all of the diagonal beams to the jbeam above, aswell as lots of support beams to make it nice and rigid. There still seems to be a little bug, where the left side of the engine bay and rear left quarter panel continuously flop around (this happens to just the mesh, the jbeam is rigid all over). I also calculated the mass of each of the panels and the empty shell. The dry mass overall is now 930kg, with an empty, carpeted shell weighing in at 473kg (4.3kg per node). A stripped out shell will be offered too, being roughly 30kg lighter. Here are some pictures:
    4.PNG 5.PNG 6.PNG
    screenshot_00038.png screenshot_00039.png screenshot_00040.png screenshot_00041.png screenshot_00042.png screenshot_00043.png screenshot_00044.png screenshot_00045.png

Just adding in all the extra structural support has stopped the almost all of the crazy "soup" deforming. Once I add in node and beam groups, I will fine tune the spring, damp and other node parameters to iron out the bugs:) I've already set all of the node weights the same, to give the desired weight of the vehicle. I may add more weight to certain nodes, and less to others if needed.

12. chris_lucas

chris_lucas
    Expand Collapse

It looks awesome.
    It turns into because it has no cross beams.

13. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

I also noticed that when I dropped the shell down the cliff, the jbeam rotated freely about the origin relative to the mesh. Have I missed something that should have anchored the jbeam? perhaps that's what's causing the mesh to go bunk on the left side, as it is only the 3d mesh that is wobbling/flapping about, the jbeam is solid all over as you would expect.
    screenshot_00051.png
    I should also note that crashing into the jbeam causes the left side of the model to go crazy, and as usual the jbeam does not deform irregularly (the same as the other side)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it's that, if it was then the jbeam would flap about too, and it would do it on both sides, considering the jbeam is symmetrical.

14. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

The mesh freely rotates like that when you haven't applied the location and scale, you'll need to set the origin to 0,0,0.

And yeah you do need more support beams in certain areas, deformation wont be the best because you don't have many sections of Jbeam, Gabe usually divides his into 4 sections from left to right.

The structure definitely needs some work, but nice job so far. :)

15. chris_lucas

chris_lucas
    Expand Collapse

Deleted
    Drowsy answered it already.

#15 chris_lucas, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  16. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! I'll give the rotation thing a go and see what happens. It certainly can also use some more support beams too, I'll add them in shortly;)

I'm aware of the lower amount of segments, I purposefully made it that way. I made it have a similar density to the Ibishu Covet, which is not the most dense car anyway (the Moonhawk, H15 and such have many more nodes, and are more intensely simulated, as you already know). The reason for this is for a start it's my first jbeam, and the simpler, the less confusing, and less chance for mistakes. The model is also what you would call these days "low poly", so a Moonkawk level jbeam would just be a waste of fps, which brings me to the fact that i play BeamNG with a toaster, thus I would like the most fps possible. It's true that the deformation won't be as nice as say the Moonhawk or Myth's Cadillac, but I will be focusing this mod (and my other Japanese cars) on driving characteristics rather than crashing. After all, why crash something you love?

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: So I added the rotation and transform constraints and set to 0, 0, 0 for both of them, however the jbeam still pivots freely round the origin??

- - - Updated - - -

Yes! everything works properly now, jbeam is correctly orientated and no more weird mesh juju. To test the deformation, here's what happened after a nasty encounter with Drowsy's toy car:
    screenshot_00053.png screenshot_00054.png
    and after a little tumble:
    screenshot_00052.png
    Next is to add groups and tune the beam parameters for realistic deformation, along with the running gear jbeam, so I can drive it:D

17. JoNnii

JoNnii
    Expand Collapse

Really, really nice!
    But you could give the steering wheel and the mirrors some more edges.
    That would make it look alot better and it won't hurt the FPS.

18. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Depending on how it looks ingame, I may add more edges to the circle objects. The only thing is considering the triangles in the model, too many radii may look a bit odd.
    Either way, the fps would be very similar, it's the jbeam that eats up the speed (unless your graphics card is from an 80's calculator, then low poly is good;))

19. chris_lucas

chris_lucas
    Expand Collapse

What program did you use in this picture
    3 (1).PNG

20. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

It's called NodeBeamEditor by Masa, which you can get here. I was using it initially, although now I'm using GregBlast's vehicle editor and the blender model to jbeam script. I still find the NodeBeamEditor best for displaying the jbeam:)

#20 Bakasan, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice