WIP Beta released Beam Legal Racing - SLRR Inspired Hardcore Career Mod

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by r3eckon, Aug 4, 2022.

1. r3eckon

r3eckon
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the positive feedback, I appreciate it!
    I'm still looking into the best way to keep track of donations so I can give credit where it's due so I'll probably set up donations once I'm about to start working on the next map implementation, likely to be East Coast USA.

• Like Like x 7
  2. r3eckon

r3eckon
    Expand Collapse

Version 1.4 has been uploaded, this time the update is a bit smaller in size but it contains some important bug fixes and some new races for the offroad race club. Most notably the problem with selling and scrapping can cause your vehicles to lose track of the correct config and beamstate files was fixed by changing the way car files are loaded. Also trying to fix a user reported problem with where apparently the game can send you in a random traffic car when vehicles are being deleted, like when the car shop removes the cars for sale, or when changing cars in garage. I think the problem is likely related to the option called "Enable switching to traffic vehicles" in Gameplay > Traffic because I have that setting turned off and never experienced the issue.
    • Added new races to the offroad race club
    • Tweaked existing offroad race club race files
    • Updated car file format to fix issue with selling & scrapping
    • Fixed walk mode issues with bus ride and garage
    • Updated fix for car shop and garage placing player in traffic
    Next update will likely focus on balance, aside from fixing remaining bugs I find along the way. I've been taking some time to do more serious career playtests and so far my impression is that the rewards are quite a bit low relative to repair and part costs, at least for the "bronze" race league rewards. The delivery missions are better than before, for the time they take to complete I think it's decent, challenges could pay a bit more. Some challenges are also quite hard to complete, I'll likely be tweaking the speed trap challenge speed targets a bit. I'd love some feedback on the rewards so that I can improve the balance in next version!

• Like Like x 7
  3. Aeroracer

Aeroracer
    Expand Collapse

Awesome mod! I really want to dive deeper into this mode!

A few problems though, resetting my career progress and the parts shop.
    I can place the UI app just fine in free roam mode, but as soon as I boot up the mod scenario again, it disappears from the top of my screen. I also don't know how to reset my career progress after a bad crash and scrapping my car.

Also, with the parts shop... Same issue with the specialized UI not showing up when i boot up the scenario, preventing me from being able to use it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out how to get the UI working in the scenario itself. But I'm still having issues on trying to reset my career progress. Still not sure how to accomplish that.

#83 Aeroracer, Nov 26, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. r3eckon

r3eckon
    Expand Collapse

It's a button at the bottom of the options menu in the UI app, under career settings.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aeroracer

Aeroracer
    Expand Collapse

Awesome! Thank you!
    --- Post updated ---
    Oh, I forgot to add: I don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this, but when I open the car parts menu and try to navigate it, it doesn't scroll for me, for whatever reason. I can click/scroll all over the place in other parts of the game, just not your menu.

6. SpecR

SpecR
    Expand Collapse

This is wonderful, I can only thank you for the existence of this project, SLRR was my first car game that I played on the PC when I was 10 years old, remembering that on beamNG is a real dream!

• Like Like x 2
  7. r3eckon

r3eckon
    Expand Collapse

This sometimes happen with the UI app not sure why yet but for me CTRL+F5 seems to fix it when it's bugged.

8. SpecR

SpecR
    Expand Collapse

How to add app in the screen ?
    --- Post updated ---
    How to ?
    --- Post updated ---

9. r3eckon

r3eckon
    Expand Collapse

If you don't know how to add UI apps go check youtube for some guides it's easier to show than explain.
    If you know then you must add the BeamLR app to the "Scenario" layout. It's hard to miss in the list of apps because the image is ugly black on white text.
    Works best set to 500x500 size, placed at the top of the screen because it will open downwards.

10. SpecR

SpecR
    Expand Collapse

Hey friend, would it be possible to bring the damage persistence system to the game's free mode? for example, I crashed the car and saved its configuration, I change the map and when selecting the configuration it appears the same way it was after the collision in the previous map I was in, just a suggestion, the BeamLR scenario is very cool (and really hard too :D) but I wanted to enjoy this mechanism in free mode too :)

11. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

No, this is currently impossible in the game, the developers have tried.

12. r3eckon

r3eckon
    Expand Collapse

Everything about the mod uses core features that are currently working in vanilla BeamNG with no modification to the base game, so both visual and mechanical damage can be saved in freeroam. But it's only easy for visual damage. Mechanical damage is complicated to save and restore without the function I wrote that goes through the mechanical devices on a car. It's probably not perfect yet I'm sure I missed a bunch of devices, also won't work for electric cars yet.

For visual damage: the circular menu has a button to save and load beamstate that works in freeroam. Beamstate will only load correctly if you use the exact same config, and with circular menu you can only save one beamstate file since that button always saves and load to the same file with no ability to "save as" or load custom files. For custom files you need to use the underlying LUA function which has a file path parameter.

For mechanical damage: you need to get values from VLUA that represent the integrity of various parts like "mainEngine" or "driveshaft" and save that data to a file that can be loaded to then call the appropriate functions used to break components. In the custom script mechDamageLoader.lua you can see how that's done somewhat. The hard part is finding out the correct functions to get and set the condition for mechanical components on the car. For my use in the mod that process was done in freeroam using the console. Try sending these commands to a vehicle with console, make sure to select the correct vehicle lua:

Code:
    powertrain.getDevice('mainEngine').thermals.headGasketBlown = true
    powertrain.getDevice('mainEngine'):scaleOutputTorque(0.8)
    damageTracker.setDamage('engine', 'headGasketDamaged', true)

First two lines actually perform the mechanical changes on the car, last line is to update the UI damage tracker which gives the notification that the head gasket was blown.

Sadly for mechanical damage in the current version of the mod a key part of the process (getting damage values from car) is written in a flowgraph node so that can't be used in LUA console outside the scenario. I'll keep that in mind for next version, if I place that function in extensions instead you would be able to use that feature in freeroam without much trouble.

• Like Like x 4
  13. ghost_cauli

ghost_cauli
    Expand Collapse

Having played and modded SLRR for years until the community died moved to other games, this brings me joy. Sir, you've managed to reproduce the clunkiness of SLRR career mode just the way I remembered it.

The only thing it is missing now, IMO, is a separate garage (and UI) for customizing your cars and managing your career. Though I'm quite convinced that unless Beam devs add a way to actually save broken cars, it won't be possible – or will it?

• Like Like x 3
  14. r3eckon

r3eckon
    Expand Collapse

I'm glad you like it! The problem with SLRR like garage isn't saving damage it's changing the config while keeping damage. Car has to reset when the config changes and saved beamstate won't reload on different configs. Devs would need to add the ability to change parts without reset and I have no idea if that's possible without major changes. Maybe pulling off broken parts could be accomplished by having the beamstate loading function avoid missing parts but I don't know much about how that function works.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. r3eckon

r3eckon
    Expand Collapse

Here is a sneak peek video for BeamLR version 1.5, which brings various new UI updates most notably the use of a custom UI layout that simplifies the install process and adds some quality of life to the mod by keeping the "scenario" layout separate. Races and challenges now make use of native UI apps to display checkpoint and lap count while the top right time display has been updated to switch between timer mode and clock mode depending on situation. New time based daredevil challenges have been added, the updated challenges system works with many types of time based events such as rock crawl, drift and obviously time attack. This new timer function uses the dtSim value so that the pause function works correctly, using a time value that isn't tied to physics was a mistake I had previously noticed while testing my Nord Race Week scenario. A new vehicle dealership has been added, this new "scrapyard" sells vehicle shells at a very low price and allows players to build up a car from scratch. In order to allow us to build up disabled vehicles parts can now be purchased from the player garage. I will likely be giving incentives to use dedicated part shop areas through discounts or shipping cost penalty.

As always feedback and suggestions are appreciated!

• Like Like x 7
  16. r3eckon

r3eckon
    Expand Collapse

Version 1.5 is now out, this update brings a bunch of QOL improvements and most of the new content comes from added time limit based challenges and the scrapyard vehicle shop. Time limits and rewards for new challenges may be unbalanced although I did spend quite a bit of time running each challenge with both good and bad cars to set the time limit range within reason. Challenge RNG works with rewards that follow time limit so having less time to complete means higher reward. With the custom UI layout added to this update the first time setup process has been simplified a bit since you no longer need to edit the "Scenario" UI layout to add the BeamLR UI app. Current players can reset the "Scenario" layout to default (or just remove the beamlr app) as it's no longer used. Here's the full changelog:
    • Added time limit based daredevil challenges
    • Added custom UI layout
    • Added new scrapyard vehicle shop
    • Added race and challenge UI app checkpoints, laps & time
    • Tweaked race rewards balance
    • Buying parts now possible from garages
    • Fixed buttons being clicked during time skip causing issues
    • Challenges can now toggle traffic on or off
    • Challenges can now use shared RNG roll for rewards & targets
    • Races and Challenges now show traffic parameter in description

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. r3eckon

r3eckon
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG Update 0.27 Info

Unless you have BeamLR installed as a zip mod (player install) migration process will not move BeamLR files to the 0.27 userfolder (except for a few UI related files). You need to manually reinstall.
    Simply treat the new userfolder as destination for a fresh BeamLR install. To restore your career use the process listed on github for a normal update after the mod is installed in the new userfolder.
    The game will give you a chance to view the contents of your old userfolder containing career files on first launch after updating so don't worry about steam update deleting your save.

I will soon be releasing a patch for 0.27 related issues. Had a bit of time to test things out and there are a few minor problems:
    • Some sound effects not playing, caused by audio playing flowgraph node no longer working with path to audio file, fixed by using events (event:>UI>Scenario End Gold)
    • Police no longer using correct strictness and time limits, caused by parameters being moved to a new dedicated "Pursuit Parameters" flowgraph node, fixed by using that node
    This is what I noticed after a short playtest, thankfully most main features appear to work fine for me but please let me know if you run into other issues.

• Like Like x 4
  18. r3eckon

r3eckon
    Expand Collapse

Version 1.5.1 is up on github, this is a minor patch for the 0.27 update problems I discussed in the previous post but it also includes a few other small changes.
    • Fixed sound effects not playing due to 0.27 update
    • Fixed police parameters not working due to 0.27 update
    • Fixed used cars with incorrect odometer ranges
    • Slight changes to cost and odometer ranges for some shop cars
    • Increased injury G force threshold and tweaked injury scaling

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. zip_kiev

zip_kiev
    Expand Collapse

Thx for this mode!!!. When I saw the first BeamNG video I think about that be very cool to combine beam physics of destruction and SLR gameplay and now it has happened!!!
    It would be nice to make a system of insurance and wills:
    • If you break an insured car, part of the amount is returned.
    • If you get into a fatal accident and there is a will, all garage contents will be returned to the new owner. The will must cost a lot of money for the player to decide if it's worth it. And near the garage, you can add a sign with all the dead drivers))).
    also, you can add damage to vehicle parts if they are used in stressful situations like:
    • in the original SRL when the player uses NoS (nitro) engine takes small damage.
    • if the player burns a tire to match the tire also takes damage!!!
    if it is possible, then the player damages other NPC cars (in a race or other activity), they can be stored inside files and then load to used car/scrapyard shops?

#99 zip_kiev, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  20. r3eckon

r3eckon
    Expand Collapse

I'm glad you like the mod! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep these in mind for stuff to add down the road.

I'm not sure how I would model tire damage, that's a pretty complex feature and already being requested by the community so I think if we wait tire temperature damage will likely be added to the base game at some point.

Nitrous damage already exists, if you add nos to a car that has a bad engine it can give you a message about over torque risk which internally is actually a damage value that eventually causes the engine to blow up. Shot size will change how fast the damage is taken. For instance the starter car has the ability to do 1 or 2 races with 50 shot nitrous before the engine blows up, right now the mod doesn't account for this small damage in repair cost so as long as you don't blow up the engine you can fix it up and keep racing. It's the cheapest way to gain performance but there is risk involved. In the current version it also refills your nitrous tanks but I'm likely to add nitrous as a saved value for each vehicle in a future version.

About damaged cars in shops, this is something I've been wanting to add for a while and only recently added the scrapyard shop so I may experiment with this idea soon!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice