1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

beam xbox one x

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Games4Lifeization, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Games4Lifeization

Games4Lifeization
    Expand Collapse

i was looking around and like a year ago people was saying why cant beam be on console and the answers were the console cant run it. with the new xbox one x coming out as the "most powerful console" i wanna know can it run beam because i really love the game and dont have a fast pc

2. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Consoles are designed to have relatively good GPUs, and lots of multi-core performance. BeamNG.drive requires a lot of single core performance, which consoles just don't have yet.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Glitchy

Glitchy
    Expand Collapse

Too many controls, consoles just aren't ready.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. SimplyGaming

SimplyGaming
    Expand Collapse

Nope. Consoles can't keep up with PC.
    --- Post updated ---
    That too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

No

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Ezo

Ezo
    Expand Collapse

Its actually simple:
    Beamng is heavy, a lot, i mean a lot heavy, not as heavy as you think, but not normal pc run it ok, and x box would be a box with a game inside
    No sense at all, now serious:
    but is basically what these two said:

7. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

While the new Xbox One X might be "the most powerful console ever", comparing it to BeamNG's needs... it just doesn't stack up.

Yes, it has 12GB of GDDR5 RAM. Yes it has 40 something compute units that can do 6 Terraflops a second or whatever. Yes it has an 8 core Processor... but literally none of that really matters for Beam (well, I mean it matters, but not in the same sense)

What Beam need (as mentioned above) is single core performance. If you had a single core Intel i7 (wat) and a quad core Intel i7 both running at 3GHz, they would probably perform rather similarly in Beam (quad core could handle background tasks better like the OS and what not but still) as long as you kept it to one car. Now I said Intel and 3GHz for a reason. AMD has been known to have rather poor performance running Beam because their single core performance just doesn't stack up. The solution that I have been seeing is to just overclock the living hell out of them. 4 and 5GHz seems to not be out of the question for Beam players running AMD.

That being said, the Xbox One X still has what would be considered a mobile CPU... It isn't designed for heavy CPU calculations... It mostly just regulates all of what the GPU is doing. It can't punch as hard as a normal AMD desktop processor. Then there is also the speed. The CPU in the Xbox One X is only running at 2.3GHz. On an Intel desktop chip... you could probably get away with that... I was running Beam on a 2.4GHz dual core for a while and it did just fine. On an AMD chip though? Well... that's just not going to cut it.

#7 atv_123, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  8. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Almost all of that is wrong.
    A single core I7 performance the same as a quad core? No. Background processes and the BeamNG.drive UI take up core space.

The CPU in the Xbox one does do things, it doesn't just regulate the GPU, what else does physics, particle calculations, etc?

Clockspeed isn't everything, you know.

24gb of GDDR5 ram? No. It has 12Gb of GDDR5, only 6 teraflopa of performance, and 8 x86 cores.

60 teraflops is waaaaay more powerful than a GTX Titan X.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

You meant the older FX series? (like the one Xbox 1 X is using)
    Ryzen isn't that bad on running Beam...

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I was reading this article
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/xbox-scorpio-engine-soc-details,35282.html
    And didn't realize they were talking about the developer console in terms of ram... I was just skimming it looking for the specs... as for the 60Terraflops... I have no idea how I managed to get the 0 in there that should have just been a 6. I went back and adjusted it so that I don't confuse anyone reading down through this. They can see what I originally posted in your quote.

Yes, I understand that clockspeed isn't everything, but I was giving an oversimplified explanation to a topic that has been brought up 1,000,000 times. That being said, it does matter a great deal seeing as the physics calculations are done at 2GHz (yes I know that it doesn't compare to CPU speed that way, but still... thats a LOT of calculations per second) and I know it is an x86 chip, but I was comparing it more to a laptop when I said mobile... should have been more specific.

Yes, the CPU does do more than just regulate what the GPU is doing... Physics can be done on the CPU as well... I didn't say they couldn't. The CPU handles the OS, all background tasks, AI, physics, particles, sprites, you name it... I get that... It does everything that has nothing to do with graphics but send whatever is in the scene to the graphics card so it can take over and render the scene... but still, the great majority of what it does is send loads of data to the gpu to be processed into a scene.

With all of that being said, you do have to admit that it is pretty obvious that the console creators didn't have hard core physics simulations in mind when you look at the specs of these things... They are pretty heavily dedicated to better graphics.

As for the single core to quad core comparison, yes, a multicore cpu will handle background tasks better than a single core and thus run the game better (I did say that did I not?) but if those background tasks are simple and the majority of CPU usage is kept to the physics calculations then with a single car, they will run rather similarly as long as GPU performance is the same. The physics calculations can not be handled across multiple cores (yet... that I am aware of). That being said... I should not have mentioned i7 as it would be better to compare a hypothetical beast of a single core CPU that could theoretically handle Beam at less than 100% cpu load... and its mythical multicore cousin. That being said, my single core Pentium 4 2.4GHz used to run Beam "OK" back when it first came out... about 18fps was all I could get out of it... but even still that was pretty good seeing as my macbook pro with a dual core 2.4GHz could barely muster 25fps... however, my macbook had a much more intense GPU then my desktop did at the time so that's not really a fair comparison as both were severely GPU limited.

I apologize though, I don't mean to anger.

Yes, I know Ryzen does just fine, but that is a relatively recent development compared to the chips on the Xbox One. (as you yourself mentioned)

#10 atv_123, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  11. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

Consoles wont be able to handle this game for a long time, if ever. PC´s also work on a completely different system for how they work with algorythms and so on. Converting this game to consoles would probably cause some major issues.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

That's very true... depending on what you are porting to, porting code can have the potential to be a complete nightmare.

13. kStor2poche

kStor2poche
    Expand Collapse

note for forum moderators : no need to delete this post, finally recovered it myself

Me reading this post :

No but seriously, if you want to play serious simulations like beamng, sell this "omg best console in teh world wtf guyz" and build you a pc with used parts... At same price you'll surely have better perfs...
    And please do not get me out this freaking argument of "But building a pc is too hard for me I don't know anything !" because it is as simpler if it's not much as building a little lego car... Just verify that the motherboard is compatible with everything and that your case is big enough to put everything in it and it shall be good...

So here's a config I made for you :
    CPU: Intel - Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Enermax - ETS-N30-HE 55.4 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill - Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
    Power Supply: be quiet! - Pure Power 10 500W 80+ Silver Certified ATX Power Supply
    Total: go check on ebay ;)

PS : for the cpu be aware of "ES" versions, you shouldn't buy these in any case because thay are processors lent by intel to companies that need to test them with their hardware/softwares to check compatibility with new gen cpus but that are lent. By this I mean that they are still theorically owned by intel so if they know you have one of these, they have all the rights to get it back and you could have a fine... More infos here.

#13 kStor2poche, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  14. CaptanW

CaptanW
    Expand Collapse

#1 the game is not done, otherwise the devs will spend there time making the game work with xbox and the pc players get nothing because the devs just spent all of there time on putting the game on xbox for a small amount of players.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. iam2cool4u

iam2cool4u
    Expand Collapse

Xbox One X games have to be released for the original Xbox One and the S as well, and they aren't powerful enough to run BeamNG

16. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

if i remember well devs said they will not be making beamng for consoles. so unless they say otherwise. its a simple answer. no. never.

17. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

memeb4.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

This exact question was asked earlier this month.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice