1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

BeamNG Air?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corsair015, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Corsair015

Corsair015
    Expand Collapse

I think BeamNG drive is one of the best games ever, and one with the best physics simultation.

I am an aviation enthusiast and love flight simulators as much as this game, so I was wondering......

WOULDN'T IT BE COOL IF BEAMNG MADE A GAME FOR AIRCRAFT?

I know there are a few aircraft MODS on this game, but for someone like me (and I bet ALOT of other peole out there) An aviation dedicated game from the developers of BeamNG drive would possibly be the best game ever invented.

Don't ya think?

2. ViperCobra

ViperCobra
    Expand Collapse

What exactly would be different from this game and this new game that you propose?

3. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

The way I see it, it would be all about aircrafts and not automobiles. For functionality, it'd probably be more focused on aviation dynamics.

I do know official aircrafts is a no go with the team, but I don't know what they'd plan to do next after drive is finished.

4. Corsair015

Corsair015
    Expand Collapse

Why is it a no go?

5. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Don't really know actually. I've only heard that they didn't want to do it. Probably stuff related to 9/11 maybe.

Don't quote me on that.

6. Corsair015

Corsair015
    Expand Collapse

ok, that kinda sucks :(

7. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

-hits 'quote' button-
    I think it might just be a bit more difficult for air physics and such, plus, there are a lot of airplane flying sims out there, not many driving sims as realistic as beam, further, they might just not like planes...

And, seeing as beam is German, it might be also a Germanwings flight recreation issue as much as a 9/11 issue, seeing as there are always trolls to make fun of sensitive matters like that, then again, I have no idea what I'm saying, don't quote me

8. Corsair015

Corsair015
    Expand Collapse

So.................. does that mean they wont make branded aircraft? Or any in general?

9. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

There are aircraft mods, I'd suggest looking under Air in mods section

10. Corsair015

Corsair015
    Expand Collapse

there are alot of flight sims out there yes.

but name one that has physics like this game.
    --- Post updated ---
    I know, but there are not many.

the whole fact that there are aircraft mods proves that making a game devoted to planes is possible

11. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Agreed.

Flight simulation + BeamNG physics = A completely new experience

12. Corsair015

Corsair015
    Expand Collapse

Yup, the best combination I can think of!

13. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Technically impossible to make an aircraft devoted BeamNG game.

14. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Out of curiosity, why you say so?

15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I can fly even a helicopter in this game, with a magnificently destructive force!

There are even some planes available, what might need new mods is navigation, but I guess some UI app would be possible to made?

To clear this mind flow a bit, I think that it would be quite easy to make dedicated flight simulator with this engine, terrain size being greatest limiting factor, but reducing detail should help quite a bit with that.

You would not get over 1000km maps quite so easily though.

16. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

It'd take up way too much time considering the time it is taking for this game to develop.
    And adding up multiple things it's that the BeamNG.Air project would take atleast 10 years to develop fully.

17. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I don't see the reason for that to be honest, and you are missing quite some important factors.
    BeamNG is our first game, and aside from developing the game itself, there's also the part where building the game engine, developing features we need and so on is done.
    Both of these, in particular the second, takes time.

Future games would theoretically takes less than that, as we would be already working on a more solid base, with more experience and all that stuff.

It's no different from any studio that works with proprietary engines.
    Making games takes longer on the first take, as you need to build everything from scratch or so, but with all the tools that are developed from previous experiences, future ones already start much steps ahead (ie. not from complete scratch, if you get what I mean)

#17 Nadeox1, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I would think that also developing one game is financially challenging, but if making more games it might be much more economical, so it would make sense that there would be some new games in far distant future.

For jet aircraft one would need something like 500km maps though (with Mach 4 of fastest fighters it's not that much), which might be biggest challenge. Also at 10km height your visual distance will be quite a lot, but details you see form ground will be less, that would need some clever new features.

With 2km maps jet planes are not very interesting, but smaller maps work well for helicopters, which operate closer to ground and detailed ground is more important for those, so maybe helicopter simulator would be first step?

19. Cheekqo

Cheekqo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

You'd be working with a new physics engine to support real aerodynamic physics, and you'd also have to put the graphics up a notch because the people of the future probably wouldn't be impressed with that is currently available.

20. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Don't see why you say new, why having to re-invent the wheel? (especially for physics)
    It would be a matter of taking what we have developed so far, and concentrating on developing air-vehicles aimed features.
    The features you see now there are developed based on the need (ie. If you are making a boats game, you don't spend much time into creating tires :) )

Well, that's for sure. Changing graphics is much more feasible at the very beginning of a project, than at the middle (ie. Assets needs to be adjusted, mods will be broken and so on)

It's the same reasons why many studios went from creating a game engine for each games, into creating their own proprietary engines that they can re-use for games (or why solutions like CryEngine, Unreal Engine, Unity, etc. exist sand are used)
    Having a reliable base you can re-use for your games has its advantages in development times, especially with the complexity of games nowadays.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice