1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

BeamNG.Drive 0.3.0.5 in Wine on Mac?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by NikeLover, Feb 23, 2014.

1. NikeLover

NikeLover
    Expand Collapse

EDIT: Seems to be a problem specific to my computer because it works great on other computers. Maybe some updates would fix it for me.

I found a few threads about doing this with Crossover and/or on old versions of the game, but I want to get the latest version working in regular free Wine. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? What I have already tried:

1. Installed Wine 1.6 with Homebrew and Wine 1.7.12 in PlayOnMac (very similar to PlayOnLinux). Set the Windows version to 7.
    2. On both, installed dxfullsetup and d3dx9_35 with Winetricks. Then I installed x3daudio1_7.dll in C:/Windows/System32.
    3. On both, installed then tried to run the game (not simultaneously of course).

Everything works fine in both until I try to load any map. Then it gets stuck on the first frame, usually showing the underside of the Gavril D truck you start with, and stays like that forever. The "wine" process uses a bit over 100% CPU. Infinite loop?

Computer specs: Mac Pro 3,1 with 2x4-core Xeon CPUs, 6GiB RAM, plenty of available HDD space, NVIDIA GTX 650Ti Boost GPU w/ 1GiB VRAM. It runs the game very well on high settings if I boot into Windows, so I doubt the problem I'm having in Wine is just my computer not being fast enough.

#1 NikeLover, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Jack Attack

Jack Attack
    Expand Collapse

Holy crap. Nice Mac man. Anyways, I've found that the game works fine on my MacBook Pro with Crossover, but I don't know what would be preventing you from loading a map properly.

3. NikeLover

NikeLover
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, if it works in Crossover, then I'll try running it in Crossover then trying to copy the settings it uses. Also, my Mac is the 2008 model, so it might not be as nice as it seems (the new cylinder/trashcan one is 6,1) ;)

4. Jack Attack

Jack Attack
    Expand Collapse

Alright, I hope you can get it working.

5. NikeLover

NikeLover
    Expand Collapse

It does the same thing in Crossover, so I guess it's just my computer. Wine can be picky about which GPU and stuff you use. Oh well :/

6. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

have you tried having it emulate different operating systems? (like, XP, or VISTA for example?)

7. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

Been curious about how beamng handles multiple processors! Could you give some details on the performance and if beamng even uses the other cpu

8. NikeLover

NikeLover
    Expand Collapse

It works without problems on a retina MacBook Pro I was able to test it on, using Wine 1.7.13 in Windows 7 mode and with dxfullsetup installed. Pretty fast, too, with nearly 30FPS on default settings with the post-processing effects disabled.

With one car, the "wine" process hits around 185% CPU max, so I would assume it's using at most 2 cores (and not to the full capacity). It seems to add a new thread for a second car because it almost hits 300% with a van added. I don't know how it normally is in Windows.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried XP and 7. There's some kind of compatibility problem going on. I'll try again with the latest Wine on my machine later. It should be faster than on the retina MacBook Pro since it only has a GTX 650M for its GPU.

#8 NikeLover, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice