1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

BeamNG.drive,better graphics?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cool guy 66, Jun 3, 2019.

1. korbitr

korbitr
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tip, I've thought there was something off about the aliasing the whole time I've had the game, but it's never bugged me enough to mess around with the AA settings. Changing it in the game and loading each time doesn't look much different, but when looking at it side by side, you can see the difference clearly.
    FXAA: SMAA:

Also, on the subject of the graphics settings menu, there's a bug that hides all the custom settings every time a setting is changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cool guy 66

Cool guy 66
    Expand Collapse

chill

3. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Well, 'Cool guy 66' … I think Michael hit the nail on the head before I could get here.

To me personally, the key is turning off the anti-aliasing. I'll take crisp images with a little pixilation of diagonal lines a 1/2 mile away, over gaussian blur 10 feet away, any day of the week.

I also keep the SSAO off, because I don't necessarily want subtle shadows under all objects-- which while maybe more realistic-- can also have the subtle effect of undoing sharp, crisp divisions between objects. Also SSAO is a frame killer in my opinion.

Also I keep the DoF off, unless I'm trying to take some dramatic screen shots of cars with the foreground or background blurry, because under normal play, I can't trust it to not blur what I don't want it blurred. Being tied into the POSTFX controls below, I can't trust how it was last set, so it's a lot easier to turn it off and forget about it in a pinch.

Shadows can get blurry fast if you're more than 75 feet from your vehicle-- especially looking down at a 45° angle or higher. If you don't care about sun shadows... maybe turn them off. Or keep lighting quality low if you must. But for crispness, I really try to keep lighting as high as I possibly can. If shadows lose their sharp edges and turn blurry too fast... I suggest going into F11 > World Editor > Advanced Lighting > Shadows... and increase the "texSize" from 1024 to 2048. Also in the same menu is "Shadow Distance" & "Shadow Softness", but be really careful with those, as you can go too far in either direction and wind up blurry again, or have "block diagonal" shadows (from lack of anti-aliasing). Easy to chase yourself down the rabbit hole, and drive yourself crazy on this one.

Finally, never underestimate the importance of both texture and mesh turned as high as your frame rates can stand. Low textures blur your dashboard in #2 camera view pretty darn quickly. BUT! Mesh level is important too! Changing the mesh doesn't just make the grass disappear by being bound to the grass slider. For far away buildings and bus stops, mesh *does* make a difference-- and I learned that, looking into the distance, at some of the block-like buildings in the hills in Italy... so I'd say don't lose sight of that fact. And the frame hit from increased mesh, is not all that bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SuchSneak

SuchSneak
    Expand Collapse

Not sure if this was mentioned, but didn't they drop DirectX 9 support? Makes it easier to add DX 11 features at least. I can nit pick but I quite enjoy beamng's graphics, and I always have the option to mod it to my liking anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

Also, try turning down your gamma to 0.85-0.90. It (in my eyes) improves the graphics somewhat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cool guy 66

Cool guy 66
    Expand Collapse

In CONCLUSION, I should appreciate the devs for the work they have done on the game.I should acknowledge the commitment and hard work the devs put into the game and keep suggesting stuff for the game in a respectful manner.I am quite sure the devs are working in the graphics department at there max.I am sorry I was so unappreciative...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Intentionally? That's really really sad. But this might not be true. Please do this experiment.(assume your computer can run Gridmap smoothly)
    Load Gridmap, then use the FPS limiter slider to limit FPS to 10 or even 5. Then the physics slowed down, but the CPU loading does NOT reduce. This clearly means that the slow down is not intentional. If intentional, the CPU loading should reduce. Therefore this might actually the Torque3D engine flaw, that makes the physics and rendering tied to each other.

8. estama

estama
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

You are right, if you reduce in an artificial way (via FPS limiter) the FPS then physics will also slow down when FPS falls below 20 FPS. This will happen because we assume that FPS is an indicator of how much loaded a machine is and we reduce physics load when FPS goes down.

In more detail:

There are two kinds of physics load.
    - Variable physics load which is all the stuff that isn't time critical. This is tied on frame rate (it gets run once per frame).
    - Constant physics load which is time critical and it will run at 2khz no matter what.

Variable physics load will naturally adjust to the FPS, so if you have many FPS it means that your machine is able to cope with a higher frequency (equal to FPS) of variable load execution. Whenever FPS goes down, the variable load will naturally also reduce its rate (following FPS) freeing some more CPU resources which will hopefully allow the FPS to go back up.

Constant physics load will only start adjusting whenever FPS goes below 20 FPS. As it is time critical, it will always try to calculate at the same elapsed rate of simulated time (which above 20 FPS is equal to world time). As it won't budge on the simulated time rate the only way to pull back (to give some more resources back) is to "dilate" the real world time hence, going into slow motion.

Now, what you've noticed is that if you artificially play with FPS limiter then physics will try to pull back as if the FPS was still an indicator of machine's load (which in this case it isn't as it is controlled manually). This is by design as it allows us to test different FPS cases when bug fixing time related bugs.

• Informative Informative x 9
  9. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

Torque3D isn't that old of an engine, and the devs have done a lot to it anyway. It is entirely capable of running physics and rendering completely separate. You can even see this when you pause physics, but the game engine can still render environment changes just fine, or when you run banana bench and the game runs its physics engine without ever rendering anything. Torque3D is still kinda old though, and even the devs version (Beam3D?) of the engine doesn't fully handle multithreading correctly, which can cause funky CPU loads that slow down the game even though task manager says your CPU is not fully loaded. Physics is definitely not tied to framerate in Beam, doing so would cause really odd things to happen at high framerates, or if you have a PC that can't fully handle the game and fluctuates is FPS a lot. Just look at physics in Bethesda games. Intentionally slowing physics when FPS is low is something that almost every modern engine will do however. The game needs the physics to run at 2kHz to be stable, so if your CPU is so overloaded it can't keep it'll slow down time instead, so however long it takes to calculate becomes 1 second in game. This is a good feature, and a whole lot better than having the game become unplayable at low FPS due to variable physics steps causing phantom forces and incorrect calculations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Great, this explained very well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice