1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

BeamNG.drive Graphics Performance is Worse Than I Expected

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by VirtualPenguinGaming, Jun 15, 2017.

1. VirtualPenguinGaming

VirtualPenguinGaming
    Expand Collapse

I've had BeamNG.drive for a long time now and one thing that has annoyed me is that the graphics settings from Normal up, are very laggy. I don't know if it is the game or my GPU, but something isn't right.
    My specs:
    CPU - AMD A6 6310 @ 2.4Ghz
    GPU - AMD Radeon R5 M330
    RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    DISK - A 500GB 5400rpm HDD
    I play on 1366x768 (max for my display).

I know the CPU isn't the best, but it does run at around 40-50fps with one vehicle so I don't think it is the CPU which is the problem.
    The strange thing is that I can play games with high requirements such as Dishonored 2 and Battlefield 1 at an average of 40fps on high settings in both games.

I really need to know of a way to make my BeamNG.drive run better.

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

BeamNG.Drive requires more resource than other games, especially because of the physics.
    I have a laptop with a R7 M260, and still pretty 'meh' for most games.

Do this:
    Load Gridmap
    Go to options > user-interface > enable 'Advanced Mode'
    In the sidemenu there should be a new button named 'PERFORMANCE'
    Press it. Then click the 'Hide UI for 10 seconds' button on the top-right corner.
    Wait until the UI returns back, then press ALT+O and paste the link for the image here.

Go to the BeamNG.Drive directory (Steam/Steamapps/Common/BeamNG.Drive/Bin64) and run the 'banana-bench.x64.bat' file.
    When done, take a screenshot and post the link here.

3. VirtualPenguinGaming

VirtualPenguinGaming
    Expand Collapse

Part 1:
    Part 2:
    BananaBenchAMDA66310.png

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Your resolution is so small that the first graph is cut and I can't see the GPU delay.
    Although I see that your CPU is struggling. If you press J, does the FPS goes up? (If so, by how much)

5. VirtualPenguinGaming

VirtualPenguinGaming
    Expand Collapse

Here are the rest of the graphs:
    Pausing the physics didn't really make a difference, but I think my GPU is good. The graphics performance issues only occur in BeamNG.drive, even without any cars. The game is using my discrete GPU instead of my integrated, so that is not the problem either. I am not saying BeamNG.drive is bad. It is just the performance that is a bit weird for me.
    One thing I forgot to mention is that when I set my power plan to Power Saver (0.97Ghz) from High Performance (2.4Ghz), the framerate only changes by around 3 with one car and physics enabled.

#5 VirtualPenguinGaming, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Welp, that seems to be a mix of 'not-great' hardware.
    Your CPU is struggling, as you can see it has a 16ms average delay.
    Your GPU not, as it's average delay is below 1ms.
    You can also see that in the banana-bench, it scores pretty low (barely 100% real-time with a single car, and that's 'physics-only'. In the actual game, that would be lower, as you also got graphics all that stuff.

But then, you also said you were using the Power-Save mode. You shouldn't when you play the game.
    Please re-take the graphs above with the High-Performance mode, so we can see more correct (not-limited) results.

7. VirtualPenguinGaming

VirtualPenguinGaming
    Expand Collapse

Both graphs were on High Performance. I was just saying that when I use the Power Saver, it doesn't affect the performance much, not that I was using Power Saver when I took the graph.

Well anyways, thanks for helping Nadeox1. You are a great staff member of BeamNG.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jsap20

Jsap20
    Expand Collapse

Ive noticed that a lot of APU stile drivers/intel graphics can have no help, upgrading your system may be key

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice