BeamNG Forums, Recommend Me An Android Phone

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by redrobin, Aug 14, 2016.

1. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Title says it all, I've decided to give Android a shot for my next phone (assuming iPhone 7 really does bomb). I want to see if the grass really is greener on the other side.
    There are a few rules you must follow:

1. It has to be compatible with the Sprint network (So basic CDMA support).

2. No, I don't want a Samsung Galaxy, don't mention one, same goes for the Note. I don't like them at all.

3. 5.3" or above, my iPhone 6+ has spoiled me with a big screen.

4. Android, not Windows Phone. Please, God, not Windows Phone.

Everything else is fair game, I'll consider everything.

#1 redrobin, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. KozyKat

KozyKat
    Expand Collapse

Axon 7? I have a Galaxy S7 myself, (and i love it) but since you don't like Galaxys, this is all I can think of.

3. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Sprint is CDMA. Just FYI.

I've bought myself a Motorola Moto G4. It will be coming in the next few days. I'll report what I think of it, but looking at specs, I think it's one of the best for the money. It'll work on any network. Another I feel I can recommend is the Moto Z/Moto Z Force. Both have 5.5" screens. Another option would be the Nexus 5X.
    If you couldn't tell, I might be a bit of a fan of pure, unmodified Android.

4. ItaliAsian

ItaliAsian
    Expand Collapse

OnePlus 3. https://oneplus.net/3/overview

I would upgrade to the OnePlus 3 but my OnePlus 1 is still working like a champ and I'm still getting 2-3 days of battery with light-moderate usage after 2 years.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DapperDan

DapperDan
    Expand Collapse

I had an iPhone 4s which gave me a lot of trouble, so two years ago I decided to go for a phone brand that is uncommon,Huawei, I have had a Huawei Ascend G7 for two years now
    Its a good solid phone
    Metal back
    No battery issues
    All the info is below
    Screenshot_2016-08-15-00-09-01.jpeg
    --- Post updated ---
    Ohh and it was cheap
    Got it for €250 but now it is around €135-160 depending
    Cheaper online

6. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

HTC 10. Looks great, I love HTC and still use my m8, which still runs the newest games perfectly. HTC sense is my personal favorite system style, and sense 8 is supposed to be really similar to stock android, and there isn't duplicate apps, (like photos and gallery) due to HTC partnering with Google for development.

7. JDMGuy

JDMGuy
    Expand Collapse

nexus 10P.

8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I have a OnePlus3. I really like it, the hardware is absolutely fantastic, however as usual with OnePlus the software has its issues. To list in full:
    • Seems to reboot every few days (software bug, not hardware issue)
    • Optical Image stabilisation doesn't function well (apparently an issue with all android devices with OIS)
    • Video recording blocks up in fast moving video when using default camera app (they set the bitrate too low, 3rd party apps with higher bitrates are fine)
    As for negative points
    • The 1080p PenTile display means that VR won't be as good as on phones with higher resolutions
    However outside of those issues I have found it to be really nice.
    • Battery life is very very solid I have never ran out before the end of the day, I found that watching YouTube over 4g/3g/H/H+ you can get over 7 hours of battery with the screen at a brightness level that is fairly decent.
    • Performance is really good. Both in real life usage and benchmarks. Since it is only 1080p you get way better performance than other phones with the SnapDragon 820 in real world usage (benchmarks often do tests at a preset resolution).
    • Camera is really good (Images below, you can decide for yourself :p ) [night sky is with 30 seconds exposure] [No editing on any images]
    • 4G speeds are good (depending on network, image below) [can't speak for CDMA though]
    • By far the feature that surprised and impressed me the most though was Dash Charge, you have no idea how useful it is to be able to gain over 60% capacity in 30 mins. Especially since you can get roughly 20% in 10 mins which will actually make a significant difference. Even more impressive is that Dash Charge is still effective even while using the device, on my Galaxy S2 the battery would still go down while charging if playing games, the OnePlus 3 still charges damn fast while playing 3d games and stays "not hot" while doing so which is equally impressive.
    Screenshot_20160820-175342.png IMG_20160812_150310.jpg IMG_20160828_135645.jpg IMG_20160812_150220.jpg IMG_20160813_143134.jpg IMG_20160804_214612.jpg IMG_20160804_224208.jpg IMG_20160814_152633.jpg IMG_20160814_152630.jpg

I would also recommend taking a look at the ZTE Axon 7 if you don't mind on screen buttons. If you are planning on owning the device for a long period of time I would recommend picking a phone with an active ROM community behind it to ensure that when it is no longer supported you can still get updates.
    If you don't need a high end device Motorola makes some really great low end devices, same goes for Huawei.

#8 aljowen, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  9. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

I like Asus products, so im going with the Zenfone 3 deluxe, when the bloody thing comes out (been teasing it since may!). Very similar to 1+3 but its got a good 23mp camera on the back, 1080p display is fine i say and its Super Amoled.

10. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

The OnePlus three seems to be very good for the money, or the Moto Z Force seems very compelling.

11. Cory5503

Cory5503
    Expand Collapse

Any HTC One, but specifically the A or M series.

12. Bernd

Bernd
    Expand Collapse

I would recommend to go to the store and test some phones of different manufacturers/watch videos, in contrast to iOS or Winphone the Android experience is really different on phones of different manufacturers due to the modifications they do to the system.
    Some (e.g Huawei) resemble parts of iOS, some, like Nexus, Moto or 1+ use stock/ near stock Android like it was made from Google. Those phones always have a good performance, but many of the others do so, too.

13. holographicdreams

holographicdreams
    Expand Collapse

Be careful when downloading apps, as there are reports of an android virus (malware) called HummingBad (current only way to remove is factory reset) that have affected many Android smartphone users as of now. (Some anti-virus scanners have the ability to scan apps before you download them, but a single antivirus program wont detect everything)

14. Bernd

Bernd
    Expand Collapse

Not a big problem with good phones that are not older than two years (updated to lollipop t least):
    Of those affected, the Checkpoint report [PDF, 1 MB] claims that 90 percent of the devices are running Android 4.4 KitKat or older, while only one percent of the infected devices are running Android Marshmallow
    Source
    And most users were affected in Asia, since other appstores than the Playstore are used there.
    The media is just trying to get views by saying "SECURITY FAIL ANDROID ALL PHONES WILL EXPLODE", same as with the stagefreight vulnerability.

15. Teoman

Teoman
    Expand Collapse

If you have money to spend i can recomment you samsung s7 (not edge)

Advantages

- 4gb ram
    - really vibrant colors
    - almost indestructable (i've dropped mine several times still intact) (actually depends on point of impact)
    - has antivirus (under smart manager settings)
    - good camera (including high quality vids)
    - multiscreen!!!
    - latest android

Disadvantages (i hope i spelled this right :b)

- heats very quick
    - no access to battery
    - only accepts nano sim
    - rarely some sound problems (phone gets stuck between headphone and speaker mode causing phone to mute itslef after a while, plugging and unplugging heaphones several times fixes it)
    - seriously expensive, i've bought mine while it was in sale and i had 200$ coupon.
    -can't cancel downloads from chrome app.
    - too many unnecessary google apps that android wants you to not delete (they can be deactivated from settings)
    -while setting custom wallpaper image resolution changes (maybe saturation too)

#15 Teoman, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

There are legitimate security concerns with android just like every other OS. Closed operating systems like IOS tend to have less issues. However, the chances of a user with at least half a brain of getting a virus while using it is very slim.

17. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Uhh, you must be confusing Android with iOS, or Samsung bloatware. I have a Moto G4, and none of the built in Google apps are unnecessary. The only non-Android apps on it are the Moto app, which is used for motion control stuff (like double chop for the flashlight) and a Device Help app, which is actually helpful. In my opinion, the Moto G4 is the best value of all new smartphones, and the lack of bloatware is a huge plus.

18. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

On many android handsets you cannot fully remove a lot of the Google apps like Google+ and so on.

19. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Yes, but it isn't anywhere near as bad as on iOS. And not just many, all unrooted Android phones are like this.

20. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Not all of them. There are many android phones that do not have the play store or any Google apps. Only the Google certified ones have them all on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice