Due to forum limits. The actual guide was made on Steam guides. This is just a short "glossary" of it. The guide shows you how to make a map completely from scratch. Starting with how to make a terrain inside Blender. Where we will also make material and masks, and the heightmap that we will later import in BeamNG. Then the guide moves on to making roads. I've included two ways to make roads. The first method in the guide is the Second (aka B) method. As it modifies the terrain heightmap, so it can only be done before we import the terrain in BeamNG. And the first method that uses meshroads to sculpt the terrain inside World Editor. There are also sections for making decal roads to make road lines. And how to setup simple ai path. Next is importing custom meshes and foliage meshes. Setting up the materials, and foliage wind. Those are the basics to map modding. But I've also included some more niche topics. Like, how to make animated objects, animated flag, sequence animation, Multiple spawn points, working gas station etc. Guide Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3664143287 Or you can google search the id: 3664143287 I've also made another guide that shows how to make fully custom trees: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3687461780 ID : 3687461780 If you find any mistakes, or something isn't clear. Feel free to let me know.
I just want to bump it because I can Really, if you thinking about trying to make a custom map this here is your starting point.
I have made another guide, this one is aimed at mapNG maps. I also go a bit more in depth with explaining some things, especially the world editor tools. As I've noticed quite a lot of people complain about choice paralysis and about lack of documentation. So I've tried to also include pros and cons of using the tools. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3740859699
@Tomica thanks so much for creating these detailed guides. I think you're right that the choice paralysis and initial complexity puts a lot of people off. I'm struggling a bit with the format of your guides on the Steam workshop unfortunately and I was wondering if there's any chance, in future, you might consider a different place to upload/write? On my monitor, only the very center of the screen has any text and 90% of the space on the left and right is just blank (due to Steam workshop, not you) so it means a huge amount of scrolling.
I chose steam because it doesn't have many limits and its pretty easy to setup. And it also has some natural discovery as some people do visit the steam guides (not many). I would normally make it here, but there is a 10 image limit per post. But I do agree with you, 60% of the page is empty space. Steam has been revamping their UI with the store and workshop, so there is a chance it might get updated one day in the future, but I doubt its important as the store and workshop to get an update soon... Haven't really thought about using other websites to make it, especially as it's a lot of work to upload all the images. But as a workaround, some browsers (like Firefox) have a "Reader view" which reformats the page and still keeps the images, and you can configure how wide you want it to be (at least on Firefox).