1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

BeamNG on new AMD CPU's, will Ryzen run the game well enough ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DD-Indeed, Feb 23, 2017.

1. DD-Indeed

DD-Indeed
    Expand Collapse

This is of course the hot topic now, since the AMD brings out new stuff, that is seriosly completing with Intel and might be somewhat ahead of them. However, I read something, that Beam is not that good on AMD stuff, but is it about the overall performance, that was lacking in AMD CPU's or is there something in the game, that favors Intel stuff ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Nobody will know until someone runs banabench on it :D

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. DD-Indeed

DD-Indeed
    Expand Collapse

I know, but some unofficial tests have been promising and I'm pretty sure you're also very keen to try them out at some point. :p
    Because it can mean, that even more players are able to play your game, since they can get more power with reduced CPU prices. :)

4. AlexMD

AlexMD
    Expand Collapse

Considering that now AMD's Ryzen CPU perform more instructions per cycle and can use all the core reliably, I'd say they would be much faster than the ones we have now (I'm an AMD user too)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

I am thinking about building a ryzen system, I am waiting for more benchmarks, the line up of motherboards, prices here in the Netherlands and Intel's reaction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DD-Indeed

DD-Indeed
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully they also do some real life situation testing with some known CPU-heavy games (Mafia III, Watch_Dogs 2, etc ,etc) and not just some benchmark program testing. That gives us a good comparison of that how it would work with BeamNG. I myself was thinking that 1700X, prices of that will vary between 399-480, so far I've seen it around 430-490 € in Europe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

My 6 core amd from 2010 did just fine. This is honestly a dumb question. 30 threads about amd zen.

8. DD-Indeed

DD-Indeed
    Expand Collapse

Dumb ? Allright, delete this then, if that's so. Nice compliment, btw.

9. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

I didn't compliment you but your welcome. Asking if the hottest new cpu will handle beam is like asking if the new ferrari coming out will be fast enough to go on a highway. You bet your ass they will just fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dradien

Dradien
    Expand Collapse

The problem isn't so much if the newest hardware will support it/run it well, but in the past, AMD CPU's have not done well with BeamNG. AlexMD hit the nail on the head. The reason the previous AMD architecture didn't do well was due to Bulldozer having a lower IPC than intels Counterparts. Since Ryzen now has just about equal IPC with Intels newest parts, it should not be an issue anymore.

In short DD-Indeed, Ryzen will be perfectly fine for BeamNG.

11. sbuck34

sbuck34
    Expand Collapse

Hey dev's will you guys optimize beamng for ryzen in the future ?

#11 sbuck34, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  12. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

Or atleast beamng for ryzen?

13. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Just like you don't need a specific version to run it on an Intel i3 or Intel i7, nothing specific for Ryzen will be needed more likely.

Optimization for a specific brand is avoided (It may boost one brand, and cripple another), instead solutions that all brands can benefits are welcomed.

#13 Nadeox1, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Remember the Bulldozer architecture, where they cut out FPUs from some cores? Hard to trust AMD after that little incident, and it had a ton of people complaining "my brand new AMD is laggy".

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Yeah but we all knew that was going to happen. No one snuck up on us and they aren't this time. Devil's advocate is great but dosent apply here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tsutarja495

Tsutarja495
    Expand Collapse

Main reason why FX-6300s are cheaper than i3 6100s these days. You could easily get a 6300 for $85 here in the US if you were lucky. I, in fact have one of those super-low-IPC Bulldozer chips. It's an A10-5700. Yes, an APU. Yes, it runs on Trinity. Yes, it's from 2012.

17. christianzee2002

christianzee2002
    Expand Collapse

Just stick will intel for this game

18. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

That logic doesn't bring anywhere.
    If you are given a choice, you go for the one that better suits your need/possibilities.

19. christianzee2002

christianzee2002
    Expand Collapse

I'm saying in my personal opinion. Because I had a high end amd at one point but it wouldnt run this game.

20. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

If AMD FX/Bulldozer CPUs were a fiasco, doesn't mean all their CPUs will be.
    So far, Ryzen has been proving to be a good competitor, for it's price especially.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice