1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

BeamNG: Personal Micro Blog(s) - Feburary 2015

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tdev, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I would imagine that it's based upon what textures are being used at what resolutions. Sending VRAM instructions straight to RAM could also be the reason why Beam uses so much RAM, especially with 1 gig cards like my 7850.

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I cant duplicate any VRAM or RAM usage issues???

3. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Same here, only running 2GB of VRAM as well so its not like I have that much. Never had any problem or crash related to it.

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

1gb, still works fine. Beamng I've never hit so much as 2gb main ram either.

5. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

64mb last i checked, also haven't had any crashes in beamng

6. Wheelie

Wheelie
    Expand Collapse

Though I understand why you'd be hesitant to remove your skins from the forum, I'm sure you're aware that tons of people download, use, and enjoy your work. I can say with utmost honesty that I use your Grand Marshal skins more than the default set.

That being said, I can also say with some amount of certainty that removing your skins wouldn't make anybody happy (except possibly the developers). It seems that your skins do crash a minority of people, but installing/using them is their choice, and they can uninstall the skins should they choose to. Obviously, it's your decision, and you shouldn't feel pressured either way; I'm sure that nobody would hold either choice against you, but I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say that your skins are a major part asset to the gameplay for a lot of people and we appreciate the time you put into them.

Just a sidenote; personally, I've never had issues with crashing as a result of the skins. :)

7. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Can confirm, stabilize at 1017MB of VRAM usage with the game maxed out on ECA, chrome open, two monitors, etc. Mostly the game though.
    Adding a sunburst puts me at 1019 because my view is a bit different. Parking closer to trees puts me at 1055.
    Even with this I only hit 1170MB of VRAM usage.
    Z5zsA8i.jpg

8. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Well, let me put it this way: overlapping symmetrical parts of the car saves on labor, file size, save and load times, etc. which means we can spend more time on cars and less time repeating work twice for identical body panels or waiting for ginormous .psd files to load/save/upload. Also, AO and normal map bakes take half the time.

9. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I mean, it's totally fine for me even if you do it for no reason, I was just wondering where the mysterious VRAM was going. :p

10. TYLERTJ

TYLERTJ
    Expand Collapse

Nice work everyone :)

11. xKryptx

xKryptx
    Expand Collapse

Not trying to tread on toes here, but couldn't you just add a note to your threads stating that due to the current versions having become more complicated and may cause performance issues as it tips the scale just over the edge and may cause crashes depending on the end users hardware/in game settings?
    I wouldn't go as far as removing your creations, just a simple clause will protect you from looking like your skins are the root cause of the crashes.

#71 xKryptx, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  12. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I bent the 200BX. Check out the kink in the fender :cool:

(imported from here)

This thing is oodles of fun to crash and jump and do bad things with.

13. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Very nice, but I bet it's even more fun to drive;)

14. Atomix

Atomix
    Expand Collapse

Now i can sleep at night.

In the earlier updates when the 200bx leaked, the hubcaps leaked with it into the commons, but tdev didn't remove them
    They looked strange, weird, when they spun around and now i see that they were flipped on the y axis.

15. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

16. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I kinda see where you're going with that. Like Ford and Mazda, right? Mazda used some of Ford's platforms and Ford used Mazda engines and such (I thought the "all new" EcoBoost in the Mustang seemed familiar *cough*Mazdaspeed 6*cough*).

17. Atomix

Atomix
    Expand Collapse

:|
    just because you saw a video of a reviewer that said that it probably did not happen, you think you know everything
    MAYBE, MAY BLOODY BE it uses the same BLOCK
    BLOCK
    nothing else just a BLOCK
    mazda BLOCK
    not a ENGINE
    BLOCK =! ENGINE

the mazda engine is TRANSVERSE, so it is in line from left to right

in the mustang it is THE OTHER WAY
    from the front to the rear

GAAAAAAH

there still is 89% chance that the values are just coincidental, and that it is a FORD ENGINE
    not BLOCK

uhh ofttopic

yes yes 200bx nice nice like good like nice dont delete post pls D:
    Does it have any actual parts that could be actually interchangeable with the covet as it is from the same manufacturer in the same time period? like, the steering wheel, or ... something
    that would be real

18. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

I know there's supposed to be no fighting in this thread but...

It was a reasonable assumption to make. Ford has been using Mazda engines (and vice-versa) since the early 2000s under the "Duratec" name. In fact, they still do. The only thing that is actually Ford's are their V8's and perhaps EcoBoost tuning (and maybe even their little 1 liter 3-cylinder). Ford's 4-cylinder engines are essentially Mazda engines (based off the L-Series Mazda engine) without all of that SkyActive stuff (so the high compression ratio, direct injection stays). There's some grey area with the 6-cylinder engines (It's the other way around, Ford designs/builds them, Mazda uses them).

Also remember that it's not who builds the engine, it's who designs it that makes it theirs. So, for example, if I build a Toyota 4A-GE engine out of fully aftermarket parts, it's still a Toyota 4A-GE engine, just like if Summit Racing builds you a 383 Stroker 350 Chevrolet engine, it's still a Chevrolet engine because they designed the basic workings.

So, Aston Martin's 6 liter V12. Is that an Aston Martin engine? Partially, here's that grey area. The basic design is a Ford 3.0L Duratec V6 x2. Only difference is compression and the fact the Aston engine uses roller-rocker cams. But wait, Cosworth casts the block and heads, and Aston builds them. Doesn't matter, it's still based around the same engine you find in the fourth generation Taurus, Mazda 6, Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, etc.

So, based around all of that, reasonable assumption.

Let this die now.

19. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

200BX probably won't share much of anything with the Covet, the same way a 1990 Honda Prelude doesn't share anything with a 1990 Civic or Accord. It's sort of a one-off sports car.

20. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I quite like that as an idea, it also makes sense in terms of reduced time to add the vehicle into game due to being able to reuse the nb as well as many assets. But i am not sure how the general public would react to having what is essentially the same car in the game twice with only bodywork changes. So perhaps the Gavril model should be tuned more like an American car, meatier sounding engine at the expense of fuel economy etc to go along with the different bodywork style.
    Perhaps the roof could be lopped off on the Gavril version in favor of a soft top just so there is a large variation between the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice