1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

BeamNG Pre-Race Update - Reviews Center

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nadeox1, Jun 22, 2014.

1. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson
    Expand Collapse

Ok, obviously there are lots of cool new stuff, and i appreciate the effort the devs put in. I Agree with pretty much all the above Pro's and Con's, but ive got a few more things to add.

• What happened to camera collision? It still goes through the ground, which is super annoying. Maybe an option to change it, because sometimes its nice to be able to look under the car.
    • Some sort of indication what transmission mode i'm in, whether it be Auto or Manual, or Manual with clutch. I did get an indication telling me at the start, but it stopped showing up.
    • Also i'd like the game to remember what transmission mode you left it in, so you dont have to change to manual everytime you startup.
    • Options to allow realistic stalling and starting.
    • Camera Zoom is way to far away for some cars, and its annoying having to change it everytime you re-center the camera (which is a lot since its still pretty crazy and dumb). Again, an option so the game remembers the last position its in, and it goes to that position upon re-centering.
    • Camera inversion settings would be nice for some, although i think ill get used to the way it is now, as i think its the same as GTA.
    • Big one for me, and should be done before Steam integration; Menu navigation with controller. Really annoying having to use the mouse to get into levels just to play with a 360 pad. Same with changing levels, cars and exiting.
    • Loading screens are much worse than before.
    • The Dashboard indicator App doesn't stay, so i need to enable it every start up. Also the ABS indicator AND fuel gauge on it doesnt do anything?
    • Noticed for most of the apps, you can click them to change units, very nice BUT for the Engine Debug one, it'd be nice to be able to have for example MPH and fuel in Litres, so mixing imperial and metric.
    • Also, a Fuel consumption section in that App, or on separate app would be nice.
    • An app that shown the 0-60mph (100kph) times, 60-0, maybe 1/4 mile times and 0-100mph. Performance Testing app, like in the Non-update Debug screen.
    • Mouse scroll wheel zooming?
    • Some apps done remember their previous size or MPH/KPH upon reloading, so the Speedo is always huge and in KPH when i startup.
    • An Odometer app, with a trip button that resets.
    • An app where you decide how much fuel is in the car, perfect for economy runs etc.

#41 garyjpaterson, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Red text is the answer

3. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, i would thank the post but the button is gone. Also it does say on the dev blog update that Camera Collision was going to be in it, was there something said more recently that they changed their minds?

#43 garyjpaterson, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  4. CarlosAir

CarlosAir
    Expand Collapse

Love the update for the most part, yet there are some things I want to mention:

• "Default" is not an option in the drop down list for car variations.
    • The g-force gauge only displays information up to 2g. I'm not asking for a bigger circle or for the values of the circles changed to something bigger, I would be happy if the current (or maybe even the max. min.) values were written below the graph.

5. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

You are helping the community right now, do not close that, at least for a bit. You technically can without a problem, but the speeds are horrid, and seeding helps.

6. Masterjoc

Masterjoc
    Expand Collapse

found some negative things now after a little bit testing again:
    - camera is still spinning without touching my gamepad
    - performance on my notebooks got only worse, my slow pc is running super smooth on lower settings now. Weird thing is the I5 650+ATI 5750 1GB reaches the same fps on the same settings like my toshiba notebook with i7+GTX 670M 3GB ???
    I hope you can improve that, maybe the engine wont support those configs well enough atm.
    - some ui elements like the speedometer should be resizeable, some are huge :D

pro: already said of the other, but the improvements are very cool :)

7. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson
    Expand Collapse

- camera is still spinning without touching my gamepad
    I think that is because there is no deadzones, so the stick on the gamepad is very slightly to one side, moving the camera slowly. Give the stick a nugde and it stops. Still they should add just a small deadzone.
    - some ui elements like the speedometer should be resizeable, some are huge :D
    The big (circular) speedo is resizeable, just drag the edges.

8. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

I just want to add a few thing to my original post.

I noticed some weird FPS issues on the industrial map. There is a section where the FPS drops to around 30 and then for the rest of the track its around 90. 30 FPS is still playable but the stutter when it transitions between 30 and 90 puts you off your driving. I had to record the video with a camera as using fraps would have killed the FPS and would not show the issue to the full extent.

I get similar things happening on the other updated maps, but this one is really noticeable as apposed Small Island where the FPS is just continuously nasty, barely get above 40 FPS but as low as 24 FPS compared to before the update I was getting 60+

I do agree with a few others that the cars still have that floaty aquaplaning feel over certain speeds, but it is a little better in the covet now. I think this could be be because the gear ratios have changed so the slipperiness is happening lower down in the rev range where the engine has less grunt to break the wheels free. I fear this will never be fully fixed though :(

I also want to say I love the new brakes as I hated not being able to lock the wheels up in the covet when stamping down fully on the brake pedal. It feels much more like a real car in that respect. You achieve full braking power at about half way down the brake pedals travel then after that the wheels start to lock up. Perfect!

#48 jammin2222, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  9. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

10. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson
    Expand Collapse

Nothing a small deadzone wouldnt fix though.

11. amon_igre

amon_igre
    Expand Collapse

pros
    - new car versions
    - better driving
    - UI
    - car lights

cons

- strange FPS performance (goes from 60 to 20 FPS in a few meters on some maps)
    - roads are too "blue"
    - start screen (buttons should be the main part, not so "hidden" on right)
    - video for loading screen (it's freezing while loading, image would be just fine)
    - visible mouse cursor
    - no seeding while downloading update (download speed would be better if updater would seed from the start, not just after the update is completely downloaded)

12. farcar

farcar
    Expand Collapse

I've played an hour or so, mostly on Small Island...

Agree with most of the pros and cons mentioned here.
    Here are mine for the record:

Pros:

Driving Physics - fantastic improvements. All cars are much more fun to drive.
    Crash physics improvements. You don't drive away from bad crashes any more. Much better.
    UI - stuff's more accessible.

Cons:
    It's still not fun to drive with a 900 degree wheel. I guess because of no FF spring back makes steering too slow? I still prefer my 360 controller at the moment.
    Sound in cockpit is a little funky (I use headphones)
    Frame-rate hit is really noticeable on Dry Rock Island
    The updater didn't work well. I used Drowsy Sam's trick to work around. Am seeding now to contribute. :cool:

Overall
    Have been burning around the Small Island perimeter circuit for the last hour and grinning from ear to ear.
    I think the patch very positive and will lay a great foundation for the future. So, congrats to the devs!

13. DevKryton

DevKryton
    Expand Collapse

I won't post my pros and cons because they already all here but I have a minor request for the ToDo list tdev :)
    If you could add the camera options to the the menu were you can change the FOV and stuff, like camera speed and such, that would be really great for every video maker :)
    Also, something that sure has been asked quite a lot already, if there was a way to use editor in Fullscreen, that would be epic. Id love to start working on my own terrains again but I can't due to a windows problem.
    I have 3 screens and if I open Beamng on one in windowed mode my game starts to lag really badly, wich makes it impossible for me to work with the editor.

14. slinky

slinky
    Expand Collapse

so my repport with low English
    Great Devs contragulation

pros
    - new fantastic roads, small island is good exemple, the road is worn, love it.
    - no collision/glitched with small plants
    - UI with fuel etc, project some nice features
    - Details
    cons

-green dot on the vehicule chassi after run?
    -visible mouse cursor
    -no more fps but I see good optimization
    -so many more possible gear box, with keyboard and Ui, it is very strange, but there are nice idea, just want to have auto or manual car.

Some good features, good work.

15. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Pros:
    Purty
    There is more fuctionality
    Pigwidgeon
    Some cars are easier to handle
    Gavril Stage tuning
    Automatic transmissions
    UI
    UI
    Physics has gotten faster
    "break all breakgroups"

Cons:
    The menus lag a little for me
    No performance tester app
    Why is there IRC in game?

Overall:
    Preety epic, just waiting for next update

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I absolutely love the new gearboxes, nuff said. Absolutely perfect. Throw in an actual torque converter and parking pawl instead of auto clutch/brake and it would be even better of course but I think it is more than good enough already.

17. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

I'll keep updating with time because I haven't been able to fully delve into the he update.

pros:
    -pigeon is absolutely amazing.
    -the new covet changes are amazing. The roll cage and the bumper changes are beautiful.
    -the bolide variations are amazing and the fender flares are gorgeous.
    -the drift missile variations of cars are solid fun
    -Small island is the most beautiful map I have ever seen.

cons:
    -the y axis camera inversion is wonky and frankly annoying.
    -I thought that the automatic transmission acted like a real on and didn't reverse with brake trigger (this just could be because I haven't been able to fully investigate the update)

I'll add more stuff as I play.

#57 n0ah1897, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  18. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

open your beamng folder and run the banana tester .bat file to test vehicle physics performance

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Press Q to switch from arcade auto to realistic auto, you actually have to use the shift gear keys to switch though PRND21 like on most real autos

20. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

Ok thank you. I figured it was just my ignorance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice