1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

BeamNG Pre-Race Update - Reviews Center

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nadeox1, Jun 22, 2014.

1. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson
    Expand Collapse

Cool, i saw that Banana thing and had no idea what it was.

Edit* Just checked it out, here are the results for a Q6600 @3.2GHz. If im interpreting it right, it says i can cope with 3 D-Series' no problem?

banana.PNG

#61 garyjpaterson, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  2. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

Pros:
    • Slidenodes
    • Pigeon 4WD :cool:
    • Nicer handling etc
    • I'm in the credits("The Team")
    • Sam made all the maps nicer
    • Apps are great
    • New Menu is fabulous
    • Loving the html/css integration
    • Hydro controller
    • Nice speedos and stuff
    • Everything else

Cons:
    • The main menu webm's are terrible quality
    • Loading screen is a stuttery mess

#62 DrowsySam, Jun 23, 2014
  3. mrniz666

mrniz666
    Expand Collapse

Pros:
    -Al the nice new UI stuff
    -Pigeon!
    -Updated maps look really nice
    -Slidenodes (I think)
    -Many other things!
    Cons:
    -Sound is broken when in interior view.
    -Loading screens are rather laggy
    -Drop in FPS on every map

#63 mrniz666, Jun 23, 2014
  4. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

PROS:
    FPS gains on my craptop = more than welcome (about 15-30%, seriously)
    pigeon is great
    the ui is fantastic, still trying to figure it all out
    brakes...aahhhhhh!
    handbrake. whew!!
    the covet's race edition = epic.
    graphics are noticeably better
    (I run all high settings, mesh, shader, AA max, Aniso 16x, texture, vsync is on, with low lighting and no post FX...same exact as before)
    I can see the difference in the normals, looks great
    more accurate debug info.
    camera doens't go all the way around and flip/flop when holding either direction up/down, now it smoothly stops at the highest/lowest point. that bugged me a lot
    colors of the car paint are much better, more saturated, and the color picker on selection menu is awesome, especially the alpha setting being in there too.
    MPM by nadeox works fine, which was important to me.
    I can even put on LOW lighting and it still is playable, but def FPS drop at that point.
    Gridmap textures are much better, more visible, and doesn't fade out like crap at a distance.
    The test map/gridmap has improved structures and just has an updated feel to it, very nice.

CONS :(
    Loading screen fail
    still slightly floaty at higher than 60mph, mostly every car (still MUCH better than before)
    mentioned before, moonhawk wheels are jiggly and erratic
    the view controls. WHYYY?? its like learning to write with your other hand (lefties/rightys)

really not too many cons, im sure if I had a hot-rod PC that with post FX and all that, would look effing amazing, but with my lowly laptop, the update (for me at least) provided a DRASTIC improvement in the quality of gameplay. I was just about to settle for the way it was before, but now its like a whole new game. happy I got the apha access. def one of my fav game/builds. thanks devs!! much appreciated.

Oh, and yesterday, IRC was a hoot!! loved "hanging" with all y'all. CHEERS THE UPDATE!!!! (now I want the race update NAUU!!! jk :)

- - - Updated - - -

^^^and this too :)

- - - Updated - - -

wait, slidenodes ARE or ARE NOT a part of this pre-race update??

5. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Apparently Slidenodes are there. They are real and etc. Look at Mythbuster post in the dev screen.

6. Da_Evil_Genius

Da_Evil_Genius
    Expand Collapse

PROS
    • love the new UI, however the circles in the wheel weight app don't scale with the window
    • I got a massive performance gain with one and multiple vehicles, love that
    • torque converter simulation, the only thing I noticed is that there is a strange bog down when shifting from n to d with the brakes applied
    • LOOKS
    • Pigeon, quite undrivable with a keyboard though, works good with a steering wheel
    • driving behavior and physics in general seem more realistic
    • new Small Island with tunnel
    • new Gridmap
    • new braking code, works awesome

CONS

• water in Small Island seems pretty dark
    • camera controls are stangly inverted, I simply suggest a check box for the x,y,z axis to be inverted
    • the resolution of the pictures in the loading screens is horrible and they stutter alot, I like the idea though
    • dash illumination is now always on, liked the switchable one better
    • no indicator in which gear mode you are in (automatic, manual, manual with clutch) like in RoR
    • all the tickboxes in the effects menu of the UI are empty, even if you have PostFx switched on
    • game sometimes crashes when setting the lowest replay setting

Are they implemented yet ?????

#66 Da_Evil_Genius, Jun 23, 2014
  7. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

look above...ninjad by mr perfect :)

8. estama

estama
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Thank you all for the reviews :) .

About the FPS:

The physics and graphics are faster, but at the same time the physics detail of the vehicles and the graphics detail went up. So, this is why you don't see big changes in FPS.

About the handling:

We actually *decreased* the friction coefficients of the groundmodels, because due to the physics changes, the old groundmodels were too grippy.

If you open lua/groundmodel.lua in an editor, you can find the groundmodel coefficients that we use and from where we've found them.

For example (from above file):

--http://www.mfes.com/friction.html
    g.slidingFrictionCoefficient = 0.60

Previously we were at the top range (0.8) of what the cited friction tables were reporting. Now we are at the low range (0.6). The truth might be somewhere in the middle :) .

We are trying to expose all the different physics coefficients that we use, so people are free to experiment with them.

If you find some values that you feel are better, more researched, etc. , we are always open to change the default "world values".

9. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

i don't want to start putting off-topic posts in this topic, but i have to ask:

is there any 'in-between' with these coefficients? for example, silding friction vs static friction: how do you determine when a tire is sliding? if i have a car with a few degrees of camber and the inside edge of the wheel has more forces being put on it in a corner, will the middle of the contact patch have sliding friction while the outer edges of the contact patch maybe still use static friction coefficient? or does the entire wheel just turn into a sliding wheel?

also, could it be that the cars are incorrectly switching to the sliding coefficient at higher speeds which is causing the floatiness? or is the floatiness a side effect of the fact that we are driving on very polygonal wheels made up of only 12 or so sides? while the massive vibrations and other issues with jagged tires have been mostly tuned out, i still can't imagine that they work right, but have never seen you comment on it.

10. go14smoke

go14smoke
    Expand Collapse

I found several bugs.
    1. When you hit break all breakgroups with the Pigeon, there seems to be a large line through the screen.
    2. When you hit break all breakgroups with the Bolide, the doors don't seem to want to fall off.
    3. When you remove the engine of the Pigeon, it goes insanely fast.

11. Guyver

Guyver
    Expand Collapse

PROS

• looking great
    • love the selection for car colour
    • like the new hud

CONS

• cars still too light, not enough grip specially under power into corners. no where near stable enough for racing
    • water sounds are way too loud and not varied enough. nothing big though
    • new island looks nice but not enough to do to make me use it a lot
    • also cant seem to capture footage by any means to do a review, might be intentional not sure
    • grid map some of the stuff is too close together and hard to get a run up on some of the ramps

Possible BUGS

• random crash to desktop
    • the g meter on the hud wont keep its size after logging out, always have to reset when i log in again

#71 Guyver, Jun 23, 2014
  12. estama

estama
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

First of all, i loved your driving :) , and your review. I was watching real Nordschleife lap, comparing them to your lap when you posted above post :) .

Friction is calculated at every node (point). The physics do not know anything at all about "a wheel". Everything to it, is nodes and beams. To answer a standard question at this point, "No, in physics friction does not depend on contact patch size". So to answer your first paragraph, one node of the wheel might be in sliding friction, and another node in static friction.

For your 2nd paragraph. We have done some tests with full visualization of the friction forces. At higher speeds, what happens is a mix of sliding and static friction. What you get at the end, is the average of all these 10s of thousands friction events happening in a second.

The polygonal nature of the wheel, "blurs" to an averaged smooth wheel as the wheel rotates faster. So the faster you go, the more the friction events that happen (per sec), so the average of all of them becomes smoother. What you see when you turn on the per wheel "weight sensors", is just a single physics frame out of thousands.

Based on above, my (current) suspicion for any high speed "floatiness", falls on the aerodynamic tuning of the vehicles. Until recently we didn't had any good way for the vehicle designers to put their vehicles into a wind tunnel. In this update we have [*], so when we expose it in a more user friendly way, i expect that vehicles might become better downforce wise.

[*] Press '~', select BNGV at the bottom left, type:

obj:setWind(150,0,0)

Note:
    150,0,0 = x,y,z (units as always in SI)

#72 estama, Jun 23, 2014
  13. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I tried that wind thing, at 150 it does nothing, 151 makes the car fly away...

inb4 I will create a wind tunnel or someone else will xDDD

14. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

Pros: The update looks amazing (from pictures I've seen) and the new features sound awesome. :D

Cons: My crappy dirt cheap internet is not handling the download very well, so I've not been able to actually play it yet. :( Oh well only 68 hours and 24 minutes to go! Can't wait! ;)

lol, I'll make a serious review once it finishes downloading. :)

15. raiderfan

raiderfan
    Expand Collapse

well there is to many pros for me to post but i have some cons

My major thing is that the auto transmission is still better in ror 0.4.0.7 i still can't start on a hill in D with the d15, also putting it in the 2 position makes the trans start in 2nd gear when it should start in 1 and then only shift into second not any higher. And if your going like 50mph and go to neutral then back to drive it goes through each gear individually instead of just jumping to 4th gear which is yet another thing ror can do. these bug me because ror does all of them right and beamng still hasn't got it down.

16. RyvyLo

RyvyLo
    Expand Collapse

Pros :
    - New menu and Apps
    - Covet roll cage and faster Civetta
    - Improved maps (especially Cliff and Grid map)
    - Better performances

Cons :
    - The loading screens are freezing
    - The wind is too loud
    - It's hard to drive on top of the Cliff map in vehicles such as the Pigeon

17. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

False, false, and false.

A real auto trans goes from PRND21.

Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, second gear, first gear. Therefor: Going to the second position SHOULD make it go into second gear, so it is correct. The THIRD position would be first gear, which again is what happens in BeamNG, so BeamNg is correct.

As for the 50mph Neutral switching: I'm almost sure that in real life you cannot switch an auto trans to neutral and back to Drive while driving? Seems like that could wreck the transmission? This just needs to be added into BeamNG, but it seems like something that should be very low on the priority list.

As for my review:
    Pros:
    -OMFGGGG SLIDENODESSSSSSSS NERDGASM! *jumps around Estamas neck for many hugs*
    -Omfg cars drive so much better.
    -Omfg Break all breakgroups is THE best shiz evar.
    -Hud is absolutely ace :)
    -Basically everything except for the cons...

Cons(you can tell I'm nitpicking):
    -As far as I can tell, the biggest con is the torrent update system. I have no clue how it'll cope later on, and you could expect it to do bad in the first days (it's just what happens when a new game releases, even AAA titles have MASSIVE download-speed-crappage in the first day because everyone wants to play). It's just a darn shame the trackers couldn't cope at all...
    -Still not sure if I find the new debugs faster to use than the new ones. I know the functions are way *easier* to use, but faster? idk... Might just need some getting used to.
    -I don't know when this happened, but it seemed like some cars had shaky driven wheels due to tireside v-beams or something. Bit weird.

-Eh.. I think that's it...? :p

18. raiderfan

raiderfan
    Expand Collapse

Well i will gladly make a video of my 97 dodge i can be doing 70 mph and go from netural back to drive it does no damage and goes right to the best gear suited for my speed and i will also show you if i'm stopped and put it in the 2 position it DOES NOT start out in second gear it starts in first then goes to second but not third or forth.

19. Rainbow

Rainbow
    Expand Collapse

pros: so far none

Cons: updater is broken for me
    Can't even play the new update.

20. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Pros: the update.

Cons: a few crashes so far.

I will make a much better list later, but I just got back from a mad coaster riding day and I am whipped.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice