1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

BeamNG Pre-Race Update - Reviews Center

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nadeox1, Jun 22, 2014.

1. LT. Smell My

LT. Smell My
    Expand Collapse

Love the new update.

Pros: Read the other posts and it will answer this.

Cons: Well the lag.
    The download took a day (understandable though everyone once tries to download and things go downhill.)
    Keeping transmission setting reset, and the words in the top left corner disappeared after the first time I pressed (Q).
    And what ever some other people said I guess :\

Suggestions (possibly): So the new hud and the fun apps are awesome, and I was wondering if their could be a way to make some of those apps have hotkey settings instead of using the mouse?

2. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Pros: Awesome, new stuff to play with, etc.

Cons: Download took 5-6 hours because almost no one was seeding after they finished downloading. (It was pretty quick at first, but then after everyone started downloading it slowed right down.)
    The new HUD is a bit glitchy. (The first time I played the update the tach and speedo froze until I restarted.)
    I didn't notice much improvement performance wise.
    I lost my inputmap in the update.

3. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

this is correct with about 900,000 different cars...even a 1981 Corolla skips right to 4th gear when doing 80mph > N > D

- - - Updated - - -

also, mentioned a few times, I am also experience the widgets not saving in size, and I always have to click on the speedo to bring it back to MPH. just small annoyances, still don't detract from the experience of driving in the game. I call it a game now, since it has pretty proper UI and smoothness.

4. Possibly_Pos

Possibly_Pos
    Expand Collapse

Pros: Everything not found a major bug yet

Cons: I've got to fiidle with the sound settings each time i restart the game

5. DevKryton

DevKryton
    Expand Collapse

Ah, there is one thing I'd like to add. I am really not an expert at all but for my noob knowlege the Pigeon seems a little bit to strong.
    I apologize in advance if it's purposely that strong and Gabe mentioned it somewere, then I have missed it.

It's quite difficult to compare it to a real life crash because I haven't really found 3-Wheelers wich would get close to a pigeon and have documented crashes of it but if you look at
    the similar stuff those 3-Wheelers really seem everything else than strong.

Just test it yourself or look at this:

2014-06-23 22_06_47-BeamNG.drive.png 2014-06-23 22_08_03-BeamNG.drive.png

This is a front-side and front impact with about 70-85km/h with the d-15. Take a normal modern car or even an old unsafe car and replace it with the pigeon, the "normal" car will have much more damage to it.
    I guess the d-15 is weight and size wise a "monster" compared to the Pigeon but it took about the same damage on the side impact. The Pigeon feels really like a small tank sometimes.
    Or throw it down the new Cliff map, sometimes the Pigeon just looks like it fell down 50 meters. But I must add, the side impact to the doors looks totally fine to me. Like same speed in the doors and the pigeon is bend arround the d-15.

This is just a small thing that bothers me a little bit, nothing dramatic, I love the pigeon :) And I am probably totally wrong but this is just what it looks to me.
    Thanks for the great update :)

6. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

It does seem a bit strong, but the pigeon is very light and what does damage to the vehicle in a crash is its own inertia. As well, just because the car doesn't deform doesn't mean you wouldnt turn to liquid inside due to the deceleration lol

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

when it does break its body panels almost seem to snap like plastic rather than bend which is pretty cool, done it to the roof and front fender a few times now.

8. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

You can switch to neutral and back to drive when stopped without having to press the locker button, not sure about rolling, never tried, but if you could IRL the transmission would automatically go to the correct gear because of how they work, there is a governor valve in the hydraulic switching system of autos that is used to tell how fast the vehicle is moving and select the proper gears. Also, putting an auto into 2nd position only limits it to second gear, you still start in 1st.

The autos on this game are still very fake, the fluid coupling is practically not there, at least when accelerating, the vehicles bog way too easily, it should keep the rpms up even with a ton of load. The shift points are pretty bad now, I find it upshifts far too soon under power. Also the transmission shifts without taking anything other than RPM and throttle input into consideration (atleast thats how it seems). Vehicle speed, how long since the last shift, load on the drivetrain etc should all play a part. An auto doesn't shift instantly after shifting, hence why it sorta jumps up and down gears sometimes. Really needs some more work.

#88 KiloHotel, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  9. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

I think alot of the strength especially in rear or frontal impacts is because of how far forward the frame is. When the bumper are removed you'll see that the frame is right there at the edge of the front fascia which is really unusual for any standard modern vehicle other than maybe old cars and trucks were the bumper is steel and joined directly to the frame. Most cars tend to have alot more in front and around the frame to help with impacts. Also it is made to simulate fibreglass as far as I know which is quite sturdy and doesn't really tends to snap and rarely dent unless on a large flat surface like the doors or fenders.

One bug I have noticed with the pigeon however is that the front and rear bumpers collide very badly with other cars getting stuck almost all the time.

10. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

After playing some more I was definitely a bit harsh regarding the autos, can see there was some big improvements. Can actually climb a slight hill now from a stop without it just bogging but its still pretty rough, the shift points aren't bad just needs to be able to kick down multiple gears at once, definitely still needs work but its not "very fake". Keep up the good work gentlemen.

11. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Agree, Pigeon is a bit too robust....minor quibble cause I'll just hack up the beam values to my liking.

Also noticing the GM causing occasional program crash/lock up in heavy front collisions.....something up front having collision issues when wrecked I think. The Moonhawk used to do that feverently.

So far what I like:

New camera control is very welcome.
    Gridmap textures are great.
    Vehicle handling tweeks make setting up multi vehicle wrecks better.
    General vehicle behavior all around seems a bit more realistic.
    Vehicle color selector is nice but "hollow".

In my view it appears the pre-race update focuses on two distinct issues and nothing else: Getting the physics boost and streamlining the tedious "PC centric" efforts to perform basic functions,
    (car color, respawn, graphics settings etc.) and these make sense looking at the planned future of the game.

My gripes and questions are many and forthcoming but overall I think the end result of all this is a net gain for a great program that to this day is still the best $20 I've ever spent.:D

12. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

Mainly cause its so light, try hitting it with anything else, folds up like it should.

13. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

They really need to add a way to throttle bandwidth. I can't upload at full speed without killing my connection. Also, i was kind of pissed at the updater when i found out it was downloading slowly because it was uploading without telling me.

14. Craftworth

Craftworth
    Expand Collapse

Nice :)

(imported from here)

#94 Craftworth, Jun 24, 2014
  15. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

haha wow even bugbear is in on the action!! very cool!

16. thevidmaster

thevidmaster
    Expand Collapse

PROS:
    • the handling
    • bolide is easier to drive since the update
    • pigeon is fun to drive
    • liking the tuning options for the vehicles
    • small island is looking great now
    • the debug menu and being able to disintegrate your car at a click of a button
    CONS:
    • even after updating the game around 3 times, the Industrial map has missing textures on it, and updating only juggles the missing textures from object to object.
    • camera controls are inverted (thats not the issue) and i cant uninvert them in the input maps (theres the problem)
    other than those couple of things, the update is amazing

17. Dudelino

Dudelino
    Expand Collapse

I have a strange problem after I update the game it became unplayable, before I can play at 1080p on medium SSAO disabled i get around 45 fps but now, even on lowest setting with 640x480 whats interesting is it is giving same fps in both 480p and 1080p it gives 11 fps lowering the resolution changed nothing!

I am a real idiot ;) i forgot to change power plan, it was set to power saving, now it is working perfectly fine. I loved the update it is so fun!

#97 Dudelino, Jun 24, 2014
  18. InternetEveryDay

InternetEveryDay
    Expand Collapse

I can't even get 0.3.1 to load because it says "CrashRpt1402.ll" is a virus on my computer. Can a dev please fix this?

19. Swanky_Pants

Swanky_Pants
    Expand Collapse

cons
    (or maybe a bug) the clutch is still useable in automatic mode
    no more 0-60/100 times on the debug screen

20. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Pros:
    - Loving the new UI
    - Collisions are so much smoother
    - Color picker
    - "Break all breakgroups" function is hilarious

Cons:
    - The Pigeon is really hard to drive. Not because of the three wheels, but because it's incredibly bouncy and twitchy even at 10 MPH.
    - Holy FPS drop
    -This.... screenshot_00000.jpg Tried to spawn some new vehicles, ended up making a mess.

Other than those minor little things, it's a job well done guys! Keep up the good work!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice