1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

BeamNG Pre-Race Update - Reviews Center

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nadeox1, Jun 22, 2014.

1. gongo2k1

gongo2k1
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I just updated tonight, and I have to say that I really like the latest 0.3.3.
    Here are my thoughts:

I love the updates to the graphics and the engine runs a bit quicker (I think) compared to last year's builds. It could still use some work though.
    I'm running dual Intel Xeon X5677s (8c/16t @ 3.47 GHz), 8 GB DDR3 1333, Nvidia GTX 680, SanDisk Extreme 240 GB SSD, on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
    It occasionally drops frames even when I'm in 1280x800 windowed, everything maxed and AA off.
    The graphics look *much* better with this build, and I think the reflections on the road look cool, but should probably be turned down just a tad out of the box.
    The particle effects have improved with better smoke and dirt.
    I really like the changes and updates to the maps, it's feeling more and more organic.
    The ability to change car colors without editing files is very nice and I love the new menu system (and that the old keyboard shortcuts still work since I find myself using them out of habit).
    The HUD is great and I like the information and icons (and that it disappears in cockpit mode).
    Also, clutch control in manual mode is a very welcome addition! I love it!
    The automatic mode is pretty decent, though there's still a bit of bogging (I guess some real autos are like that too).
    All of the extra trims/sub-models for the vehicles are very nice.
    The wheels and tires feel more "alive" and I even burst a tire when spinning it too hard on pavement. Nice!
    The Xbox 360 control layout is great and I like the tweaks that have been made (especially with lighting controls on the D-Pad now instead of stop/reset).
    Overall, it's feeling a lot more polished and I really like the progress that's been made.

I miss the autumn feel of the old Small Town map. With all of the green jungle sometimes it's hard to distinguish between Small Town, Dry Rock, and Industrial.
    There's almost too much vegetation now in some spots and it starts to feel like I'm just in a corridor of trees, like an old N64 game or something.
    Part of what I love about this game is the sense of scale. Don't be afraid to leave some open terrain for me to really get a sense that I'm out in the middle of nowhere.
    The roads feel odd without very many signs. Maybe the occasional flashing yellow light at an intersection, or a street sign, or a yield sign, things like that.
    Some of the sound effects feel a little disjointed, like they have a different quality and different volumes or something. I can't really explain it, but the sounds feel a little off in a crash.
    Dynamic steering would be nice. I think it would go a long way to make the cars (especially the Bolide) more controllable at speed. I noticed that the Bolide's turning radius has been nerfed in an effort to make it more controllable.
    "But, this is an older car, it didn't have dynamic steering or power steering". Sure, but the resistance of the steering wheel still feels different at speed (especially with no power steering). Simulating that difference at speed would make all of the vehicles more driveable.
    The brakes on all of the vehicles are too touchy, lock too easily, and take too long for ABS to kick in (and don't really feel controllable under braking in general).

Anyway, those are my thoughts.
    I really like this update, keep up the good work!

2. LT. Smell My

LT. Smell My
    Expand Collapse

So again gonna post my thoughts about things that could be better. Could you guys make the tire marks better, like the tire tread i'm currently using but make it were the decal doesn't always stay in one direction. If you want to test or use the tire decal I put that up as well.

Attached Files:

• tiremark.png
    • screenshot_00013.jpg
    • screenshot_00016.jpg
  3. B25Mitch

B25Mitch
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Designer
    BeamNG Team

If you're referring to the lateral grip, it still pulls almost 1G on the skidpad, which is comparable to even modern sports cars. This is a good thing, since previously the grip was way too high. I am enjoying the tangible difference between static and kinetic tire friction, which is especially noticeable when spinning out. I do wonder whether the D15 Off-road and the H45 Van shouldn't be more prone to rolling over, but I believe this is a simple matter of weight distribution, not tire model. The physics in general seems far more robust, with much less shaking after crashes.

The main annoyances for me so far have been wheel vibrations (such as when accelerating hard in the Bolide) and the occasional broken beam smearing across the screen. I also can't seem to get the Pigeon to go faster than a dismal 85km/h (why is there no option for a bigger engine?) and cars getting stuck together is still inevitable in head-on collisions.

4. Speicherplatz

Speicherplatz
    Expand Collapse

you could try the ideas and suggestions forum for that but never mind. i did that too and many others and we all got the same answer: it is still early alpha, every one is still working on every thing, everything you suggest has been suggested before but doesn't make sense because of this and that and how could you dare posting your ideas after researching 5min while the developers studied nuklear physics for 150 years now and they HAVE to know better... (this is my view of what is happening in the ideas and suggestions forum. might be a little sentimental and is not meant to offend the developers. the USERS in the forum post such stuff ... )

5. gongo2k1

gongo2k1
    Expand Collapse

You want to go FASTER in the pigeon?
    You're braver than me, lol.

6. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

This short reply sums it all up pretty well right here. Totally agreed.

7. phipck

phipck
    Expand Collapse

I love the Pre Race Update, Drive feels more refined in almost every aspect and I think its great that since the update we have had 2 further tweeks in close succession.

One thing im not so keen on, before the Pre race update vehical damage was quite clean with no noticeable super long shards that was often the case in ROR, but since the update these shards have appeared. For instance when tumbling down a hill, the engine in the hatch may come free, but what looks to be the drive shafts or steering rack remains attached to both engine and car, stretching between the two as they move miles apart. Other parts seem to share the same stretchiness.

resolve that issue and to me the update would be a massive step forward, rather than a massive step forward... with shardy type things

8. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

I really love the pre-race update. I really like how the cars feel more solid, like metal. They wont get stuck eatchother so easily. Pluis many many other things I like.

BUT. The game become almost unplayable in some maps. The only map I can play is the grid map. All the other maps give like.. mm.. 15fps or less. Same with the add on map like Leap of death. I cant blame the game because my PC sucks. But before the update I was able to play other maps too.

Summary, the update is 10/10 but my aging PC is killing my playing.

9. Nivracer

Nivracer
    Expand Collapse

Pros:
    • Better performance
    • New cars
    • Updated maps
    • Love the new home-screen UI
    • Customize-able UI while playing
    • Color selector
    • Apps
    Cons:
    • Choosing map did not change (I have to click 3,000 time just to get to what map I want to play)
    • Pigeon's back suspension is really stiff
    • Never update the official showroom
    • My neighbors never stop screaming :p
    • More options for the Pigeon?
    Neutral:

• Can someone make an easy way to make skins for cars?
    • I would like to be able to put cars and maps in different folders to find stuff more easily.
    • Is there a way to have all the transmission types for all cars like real auto, arcade auto, Manual with and without clutch For all cars?
    Bugs:
    • Headlights don't work for any car. They are on and shine from the cars, but the light does not show on the ground. (I'll try and re-installing the game.)
    • When I go to download it still says BeamNG 0.3.1 (is it supposed to say 3.4 now?)

That's it for pros and cons! keep those updates coming!

10. S54B32

S54B32
    Expand Collapse

PROS

• Love all the map updates.
    • Ibishui Pigeon!
    • New UI is a big improvement overall.
    • Improved automatic/manual transmissions.
    • Civetta Bolide GTR.
    • Slidenodes.
    • Improved handbrake.

CONS

• Small Island water color appears red.
    • Often have to jump between using a keyboard and controller. Could definitely use a better control layout for Xbox 360 controllers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice