1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

BeamNG Realistic Community Lore Project.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrAnnoyingDude, Sep 28, 2019.

?

What should AMM's Australian cars be called?

1. Gavril

17 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Beaufort

143 vote(s)
    84.1%
  3. Other name (post in the thread)

10 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. esesel

esesel
    Expand Collapse

I like the idea of fanmade beamng lore, and would find it cool if we made a comprehensive guide to beamng car manufacturer history on a page like fandom (or some other wiki page), to collect everyones ideas and to quasi canonize the beamng universe lore and history. I like to draw cars and would love to contribute to such a project by illustrating some of that history...

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. SuperAusten64

SuperAusten64
    Expand Collapse

I think you're thinking of a "fanon" wiki.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I seem to remember some person on the wiki a few months ago made a fan made website for the Gavril cars and myself and Toron Beldevar had REAL issues getting the website link removed it was a right pain in the ass

• Like Like x 1
  4. SuperAusten64

SuperAusten64
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah, I remember reading the edit history of that page. Entertaining to say the least.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Haha yeah it was hilarious, how he said "DONT EVER REMOVE IT" and then I removed it and then he lost it and then I got the report in and he was banned from editing :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. GearHead1

GearHead1
    Expand Collapse

I am currently working on a bruckell timeline. I know nothing about 40s/50s/80s/90s, so I could use some help if you are familiar with that era.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GearHead1

GearHead1
    Expand Collapse

When was Japan allowed to produce passenger cars?

8. DapperDan

DapperDan
    Expand Collapse

A fan wiki would be amazing
    I would have so much fun giving little facts about different cars, such as that the Covet and 200bx share the same engine texture.
    things like that would be great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ByteGuy

ByteGuy
    Expand Collapse

Im hoping this hasnt been done but I'd love to be the "guy" for a BMC/British Leyland/Austin Rover type company for BeamNG. I am a huge fan of their cars and have had some ideas.

This is a complete backstory and guide of BMM and the brands that make up it.

-A Bit of backstory On BMM-
    BMM (British Moors Motor-Cars). Founded in 1960 and headquaters set in the Yorkshire Moors (hence the name) it was an agreed merger of the Marlon, Ainsley and Chorley businesses (Morris, Austin, Rover), later aquiring Lyons (Triumph/MG) in 1969. BMM acquired the shares in these companies and ran them (Much like BL). (More companies may be added later)
    Initially sales were fantastic with cars such as the Ainsley/Marlon Kipper (Mini in real life - I have a mod of this https://www.beamng.com/resources/ainsley-mini-kipper-1275.4263/) which was being developed in the 50s by Ainley and upon the merger a Marlon version was developed (more on the cars later) and this was a sales success. All throught the 60s they were Britains biggest car maker absolutely crushing the competition such as Gavril UK and other British marques however during the 70s, everything fell apart for BMM.

By the late 60s BMM were set designing replacing models for their existing range of vehicles set for release in the early 70s (again, more on the cars later) but the fuel crisis was fast approaching and workers were starting to strike. This lead to set-backs and in order for the new cars to reach market on time massive cut backs were put in place. This lead to cars being built so badly they leaked and rusted in the showrooms. This slowly destroyed all the fanfare and prestigue BMM had built up over the previous decade and the cars earned such bad reputation they was almost impossible to regain.

By 1980 the strikes had died down and BMM was in tatters. They were completely bankrupt and had lost all prestigue they gained just 10 years before, known now for shoddy, baddly designed, badly built rot boxes. The government granted them one final bale out in 1979 so revitalise and this had to work. There was no alternative.

-Ainsley-Lyons-Chorley Group era-

BMM was then renamed Ainsley-Lyons-Chorley Group in January 1980 (If they had any existing brands, such as Marlon, were discontinued in 1982) and they set to work. For Lyons and Chorley and they partnerd with Ibishu to make reliable sports cars for Lyons and reliable family cars for Chorley (similar to Rover in real life) that would come to market in 1982 and these cars were as huge success. (from 1980-1982 they sold facelifted varients of previous models). Showing the world that Britain could make relible, good cars. For Ainsley however things didt go so well.

In the government bail out contract it was reqiued that they had to create at least one model not based on any other companies design. So the idea was that Lyons and Chorley's Ibishu-based cars would be cheap to develop so the governments money could go towards a new set of vehicles under the Ainlsey brand. However the Kipper was still being sold until 2000. A small hatch (smililar to the Metro) and a family car (similar to the Montego/Maestro/Acclaim) was developed and brought to market in 1982. These, initially, were a success but too soon by 1986 these cars were outdated and they had no money to develop new models. Sadly the only option was to keep facelifting the same outdated designs right into the late 90s. The Ibishu based cars sadly didn't develop enough money to revitalise the Ainsley brand and the near 20 year old cars (by the late 90s) cost Ainsley-Lyons-Chorley Group millons and sadly were facing bankrupsy again by 1997. Happily two companies Bruckell and Changcheng saw the potential in Ainsley-Lyons-Chorley Group and bought them in 1997.

-Bruckell and Changcheng era-

Bruckell and Changcheng imediatley discontinued the Metro-like and the Montego/Maestro type cars in 1997 and cut all ties with Ibishu so they could use their own cars basis. In January 1998 they renamed Ainsley-Lyons-Chorley Group to just Lyons-Chorley Group and dropping the Ainsley brand. The saving grace for Lyons-Chorley Group was Lyons. Their sports cars were a huge success and had the funds to develop a new sports car that would become a huge success but Chorley was much more difficult. By the late 90s the Ibishu-based Chorley cars had gained the repuation of a grandads cheap runabout not the great value luxury car they were ment to be so Chorleys future was looking bleak. They made a new family car based off the new Bruckell and this (while still having the old mans reputation) was an okay seller and every since then Lyons has been a success and Chorley has slowly been gaining market share with Bruckell-based family cars with British styling.

I hope you like this idea I have spent hours laying out timelines and sculpting a backstory so I hope you like it. I have also Made detailed Lores for the Brands of BMM so they are underneath...

-Chorley-
    Chorley I assume is a brand similar to Rover in real life. A brand that made luxury cars until the 80s when an Ibishu merger left the brand stale and inept of all prestigue.
    Chorley was founded in 1898 being one of Britains first manafactures it made cars for the very ritch and famous and was a forfront in car design. By the 1940s they started making tanks for the war and needed a kickstart after the war to get back into luxury car making. They started by naming their cars with numbers (Like Ainsley at the time) but instead of naming them as they came out (e.g. 1/2/3/4) they would name the cars by engine size with a letter corresponding to the Mark of the car before the engine size. They were hugely popular with cars such as the Chorley A3500 and B3500 until 1960 when they merged with Ainsley and Marlon to form BMM.

During the 60s they made cool, yet understated cars with lovely big i6 and v8 engines that pandered to the ritch and famous. (Like the rover p5/6 and jaguars at the time in real life) but in the 70s things fell aprt somewhat.

Unlike the other brands of BMM like Lyons, Ainsley and Marlon Chorley stayed quite healthy with cars such as the S3500 (Rover SD1 in real life) and afew other models but still were plagued with the reliability issues as the other brands at the time and by the late 70s were loosing money and didnt have enough of it to develop a new model

Thankfully in 1979 the government bailed out BMM and by 1980 they had revitalised removing unnessisary brands such as Marlon in 1982. This brand along with Lyons teamed up with Ibishu to save the brand and in 1982 they brought an Ibishu-based family car to market. Now this car along with the many Ibishu based Chorleys after was a massive success but there was a problem. Previously Chorley was known to make luxury, no comprimise cars that were fantastic but these new Ibishu-based cars gained the reputation of being grandad cars due to the fact they were basically a slightly redesigned ibishu family car with wood screwd to the dash and sold pretty cheap. This sadly ment Chorley was losing prestigue and by the mid to late 90s money as well as people didnt want these bland grandads cars.

When the company was bought by Bruckell and Changcheng they imediately cut ties with Ibishu and developed Chorley cars based of bruckell underpinnings. This was better for sales, they didnot regain the prestegue of the past but at least the cars sold okay. Chorley carried on making Bruckell based family cars to this day and along with Lyons make up the Lyons-Chorley Group.

-Lyons-
    I invision Lyons as a company very similar to Triumph and MG making sporty, very fasionable cars in the 60s. Despite being very cool and making extremely good cars they were opertating at a loss due to high RND costing and managment issues (somethig that would later plague BMM itself) so BMM aquired the brand in the late 60s and made some changes by facelifting the slightly outdated 60s sleek sports cars to a more 70s style and developing a more atainable sports car using existing small "Ainley engines". (This car is very similar to the Triumph Vitesse/Herald in real life) This helped increase sales for the company using its prestege to sell the cheaper car and this in tern lead to more sales of their higher vauled cars. Similar in real life to the TR and Stag lines)

Initially, sales were strong but the fuel crisis of the 70s and the massive quality issues along with worker strikes caused massive upset with buyers and the brand lost all its prestigue. This was very bad and so they tried to reinvent the high end sports car (similar to the TR line of cars in real life)making it a stricking furturistic design in the late 70s. This new car was a sales disaster and Lyons almost went into liquidation in early 1984 so they needed to save the brand.

They partnerd up with Ibishu in the Spring of 1984 and set to work(Just like triumph and Honda). So in 1985 they discontinued all previous models and brought to market an all new Lyons Sports car (based on the current (in 1985) generation 200bx from releaseing in late 1982. One generation before the one we see in Beamng currently) as well as making awesome sporty versions of existing Ainsley and Chorley cars and this saved the company (Unlike in real life). All the reliability issues were solved and the brand regained its fanbase and prestigue. So much so that when BMMC (then called Ainsley-Lyons-Chorley Group)fell apart in the late 90s this (along with Chorley) survived and is successful to this day under the name Lyons-Chorley Group, designing 100% British designs

-Ainsley-
    Ainsley is the first of 2 brands created by me the second of which is Marlon. Ainsley is a brand similar to Austin.
    Aisnley was founded in 1908 and had minimal success until the 1920s. In the 1920s they released a car called the Ainsley 1. A super cheap and very popular car that took allmost all of Marlons market share by the late 30s. After the war the car was to unsafe to keep in production so a new car was developed called the Austin 2 and later the Austin 2 1/2 that were reasonable successful until being merged with Marlon and Chorley in 1960. However during the 1950s a car was being devleoped to replace the Austin 2 and 2 1/2 that would become a British icon and be one of the worlds best selling cars. The Ainsley Kipper.

The Ainsley kipper was a small compact car which had the amazing idea of putting the engine transversely and making the car front-wheel-drive (like the mini) but the RND for this car took up most of the companies money (hence the 1960 merger). The car would be sold along with the Marlon Varient until 1982 when the Marlon version was dropped. But the car was so successful it was sold until the year 2000. (In 1997 the Ainsley name was dropped and it was just called The Kipper until 2000). It came in 1l or 1.3l engines and was loved by anyone from rockstars to the poorest family. The Kipper was for everyone :D

Also during the 60s Ainsley was very successful making mid-sized family cars (similar to the Austin 1100/1300/Maxi in real life) and made BMM very popular. But in the 70s everything went wrong.

As with other manurfactures Ainsley was hit with strikes and budget cuts so the new range of vehicles were a disaster. They made a family car to replace the mid sized family cars of the 60s (similar to the Allegro in real life) and this was a disaster with rist and reliability issues.

They also tried to reinvent the car with the Ainley King (Austin Princess in real life) a wedge shaped odd looking car that was a sales disaster.

Both these cars somehow made it too 1982 with a facelift in 1980 and was replaced by the Ainsley-Lyons-Chorley Groups new family car which was a success to start with but was soon outdated by about 1986. They kept facelifting the car until 1997 when Bruckell and Changcheng discontinued not only the car but the brand in 1997 ending what was 89 years of car making.

Also in in 1982 they released a small car that was ment to replace the Kipper but ironically the kipper outlived it by 3 years (that was similar to the Metro in real life) this also was continuestly facelifted until 1997 when it was dropped along with the Ainsley name.

-Marlon-
    This is another original Brand (Similar to Morris in real life)
    Marlon was founded in the early 1900s and was a successful family car maker just like Ainsley (Their main competetor) however after the war they were struggling so they created the Marlon Triffling (Morris Minor) which was a cute bubbly cheap family car this sold exeptionally for 20 years but by the late 50s it was struggling with sales so reluctantly they agreed to murge with Ainsley, Lyons and Chorley to form BMM.

To replace the Minor they made a varient of the Aisnley Kipper (similar to classic mini in real life) called the Morris Kipper that would sell along with eachother until 1982 when the Marlon name was dropped. It was essentially a badge engineered version of the Ainsley Kipper and past 1970 it was the only good car Marlon made.

However they also wanted a large, yet, cheap family car (because during the 60s Chorley was a Luxury brand and Ainsley was a mid-size family car brand (with exception of the Kipper)), so they created the Marlon Moors (Because BMM was based in Yorkshire) which was a large and cheap family car (similar to the Morris Cowley or Ford Cortina) and this was a huge success.

During the 60s the Marlon name was mostly used for Comercial purposes with vans and trucks under the Marlon-Comercial Line but this was dropped in 1970 in favour of the name BMM-Comercial Vehicles (a subsidery of BMM).

In the late 60s BMM wanted to refresh all the existing brands keeping only the high end Lyons sports car models and the Ainsley/Morris Kipper so they set to work making Marlon a large/cheap family car maker. Creating a car to replace the previous model. This would be known as the Marlon Merrier (like the Morris Marina in real life) this was a disaster. Oil crisis and strikes ment the car was rushed to market and suffered terminal rust and reliablility issues. It was so bad it would be one of Marlons only models during the 70s and was almost soley responsible to the demise of BMM and recieved a Minor facelift to make it look more "80s" in 1980 (like the Morris Ital) and was discontinued in 1982. This was the last car to be sold under the Marlon name (along with the Kipper) as Marlon as a brand was Discontued in 1982.

There you have it. Over 100 years of BeamNG British car Lore. I hope everyone likes it :D

#329 ByteGuy, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  10. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

I like the effort, but think it's too close to reality (other than the Bruckell merger).

As for British cars, I imagined a Morris Minor counterpart that would have a 2CV-like platform frame and a flat engine (but a flat-four) powering the front wheels.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ByteGuy

ByteGuy
    Expand Collapse

I literally spent 3 hours making this :(

I've edited it to make it a bit less like real life

Edit: However I did change it so the companies merged in 1960. I kept the fact that the 70s was awful for car makers because that could be really insteresting for Beam. I changed it so that Chorley and Lyons still exist. I changed it so that Ainsley got replaced in 1997 not 1990.

Edit 2: I also like how the company merged with Ibishu to develop vehiles to keep the cost down for the Ainsley development cars.

Edit 3: Also the cars are just placeholders they can be changed. I just gave real life examples for ease of use

#331 ByteGuy, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. GearHead1

GearHead1
    Expand Collapse

13. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

I can only see the post on the 1st gen sunburst/zen thing.
    what you've written is pretty good, but the purpose of it having the weird FWD layout is because the company wanted to make a FWD car, but didn't want to have to engineer a whole new drivetrain, so they simply took the existing SBR's engine+gearbox, and moved it up the front.

14. GearHead1

GearHead1
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry, I am not sure what the issue is

15. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

it would most likely be more like a 1300cc engine, something similar to the SBR.

also, you said there were 3 posts, (post #313, #317, #320) what were the other two?

16. GearHead1

GearHead1
    Expand Collapse

They were (I think) the most important ones regarding the matter. I excluded your original drawing and instead included the updated one.

My idea was that it was their first venture into the midsized market (or predecesor to Zen), and started by using the higher reving 570cc SBR/SR motor, as opposed to the 550cc tiare motor. I guesss you could argue in favor of the 1089. My thought was also that in the 70s, it would be replaced by the RWD Zen/Sunburst (bassicaly a 510 or carina) and the Zen would not be as succesful as the Zenmen/FFP/whatever in Europe, and they would continue to produce it for europe until '84, when it and the RWD Zen was replaced with the slightly smaller Sunburst and slightly bigger Atai.

#336 GearHead1, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  17. GearHead1

GearHead1
    Expand Collapse

Is anybody going to post?

• Like Like x 1
  18. adamgj38

adamgj38
    Expand Collapse

I know a British motor industry lore already exists (thanks to ByteGuy) but I created my own using three other manufacturers, all of which I have implemented in Beam via Automation.

The first of these companies is Downton Motor Co., founded in 1903 and initially making horse-drawn carriages. They then moved into steam-powered cars once it was clear that the car was the future, and small-volume production of a variety of models was maintained until around 1939, when the factory switched to making munitions for the war. Production of motor vehicles resumed in 1948, when the factory in Coventry got a proper production line.

The arch-rival to Downton, Melchett Automotive, began in 1920 as a maker of bicycles, moving into cars in 1936. However, their first real success was the 30, a cheap compact saloon launched in 1946 and the best-selling car in the UK for a good few years. Melchett seemed to lose its touch, however, as the sixties dawned, with the elderly upper management not really knowing how to respond to the changing world; this was perfectly demonstrated by the 1966 Admiral saloon, whose over-the-top styling, rear-engine layout and poorly thought-out advertising put off most potential customers.

Though Downton was in a great place by 1970, with their Hurricane sports car taking the world by storm, Melchett was really struggling, losing sales thanks to the rapid rise of London-based manufacturer Holborn Motor Cars in the last decade as well as internal failings. A new President was appointed at Melchett in 1971, and he was able to secure a deal which united his company with Downton. The new conglomerate, aptly named Downton-Melchett (or DM for short), showed promise, but Melchett's design team insisted on taking over most projects despite an obvious lack of awareness of what they were up against.

DM's first model was a small, economical saloon called the Regent. This car was praised for its excellent (Downton-derived) engines, but odd styling and worries about build quality initially hampered its success. From 1975, the Regent received an update that meant it would be better-built and more reliable, but the extra cost was both passed onto the customer and docked from the wages of factory workers. The result was a series of worker strikes, which drastically reduced production from 9000 per year, to merely a third of that figure. New-car buyers could not be guaranteed that the Regent they ordered would actually be made any time within the next several months, so sales dropped off further. Even a rally campaign did not help much, as though it did produce a special edition Regent, only 20 of these were sold.

Once it became clear that the Regent project was doomed to fail, there was a drastic change of plan. Work began on a replacement for the Regent in late 1976, and it was so rushed that they did not even think of a name for it, so it was simply known as the H78 (hatchback for 1978). This car looked quite radical, though its underpinnings were not as sophisticated. The initial plan to use an old ETK engine did not work as that particular unit did not fit in the H78, so instead a 3.6-litre V8 was cobbled together, using mostly any parts that could be found lying around the factory.

The H78 suffered the same problems as the Regent, though profits did increase slightly during its time on sale. An update for 1980, though, saw the addition of a four-cylinder engine to the car, which was terribly underpowered even compared to the notoriously lazy V6 of the H78's French rival, the HMC Steeler. Things were looking good for DM (now simply known as Downton again, after the Melchett name was removed in 1978)... until the executive car market was completely blown away by the ETK C-Series in 1983. The H78 was virtually forgotten, and struggled on for one more year before being axed. In 1984, the company made a massive loss overall, partly due to the death of the H78 but also because Melchett's utility models had been crying out for an update for over a decade but had always been left behind. The President of Downton bought all the assets of Melchett's utility division, MGA, and took off in '85, leaving DM's final model, a lightly updated version of a Downton saloon from the early seventies, to quietly fade away.

On a lighter note, MGA is still around and is one of the most successful SUV makers in the world thanks to a series of smart moves in the nineties which involved working with Gavril for a time.

Edit: this is partly inspired by the story of British Leyland, but is a picture of what could have been if the deal with Honda had never happened. Most of the cars involved are loosely based on real ones (the Melchett Admiral is the exception), with the Melchett 30 being like an early Morris Minor; the Downton Hurricane like an MGB; the Regent somewhere between an Austin Allegro and Princess; the H78 a homage to the Rover SD1; the HMC Steeler basically a Renault 30 or a Peugeot 604; Holborn Motor Co almost a lore-friendly version of Vauxhall; and MGA basically Land Rover.

#338 adamgj38, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  19. adamgj38

adamgj38
    Expand Collapse

Personally, I saw the Miramar as being succeeded by the Covet, with later Miramars having hatchback variants. The Covet we have in the game already would be a second-gen model, with the first arriving around 1981. The Pessima would probably also arrive around this time, with the ones we have in-game already being third and fifth-gen versions.

20. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Sums up a bit of the comedy on this thread.
    I mean, having 60s British car in BeamNG might be cool. Anyways, decent introduction there.
    lmao
    Wow, more comedy.
    This thread is entertaining.

Tbh, this thread is comedy and entertainment mixed together. I'm just wondering. Can you just make up car brands and give a backstory about them? I will give these people credit for trying to be creative and for actually putting effort into their posts.

Here's a song that may or may not sum up this thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice