1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

BeamNG still crashing several minutes in—RX 580 8GB

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by NikeLover, May 19, 2018.

1. NikeLover

NikeLover
    Expand Collapse

A while ago, I posted about this and had some moderators look at game logs. I don't think there ended up being anything inherently wrong with the game; I've read that AMD's Wattman settings are simply—by default—incredibly stupid and cause the card to overheat or something. (The crash gives me an error message which says that the GPU stopped responding, so I'm guessing that that's an overheat.) When I run this GPU within macOS, I have no issues, so I think the AMD settings for the Windows drivers are wonky.

Anyone know what the most suitable Wattman settings are, for BeamNG (or, for ANY game, for that matter)?

-Thanks

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

No experience with Wattman, but another question: Is your GPU overclocked?
    OC, especially on AMD GPUs, seems to trigger crashes frequently for some users.
    If your is OCed, try with stock settings.

3. NikeLover

NikeLover
    Expand Collapse

I've never overclocked it; I bought the card (like-new condition) and installed Windows 10 freshly for it. The Wattman settings are default, I guess. Two issues, actually: BeamNG crashes, and there's no 'Sleep' option in Windows; the computer physically won't sleep. On my main drive, which contains OSX, everything is fine and dandy.

4. NikeLover

NikeLover
    Expand Collapse

By God... I think this solution worked for my card. I spent a while playing GTA V, and I saw no graphical glitches. Then, I immediately switched over to BeamNG and loaded up West Coast USA: 60 FPS most of the time, and no crashes [within the 30 minutes or so that I played]. I will continue testing this the next time I'm booted into Windows; however, thus far, I'm confident that the changes described in this YouTube video have remedied the issue! If so, that's huge news; I've been dealing with this problem ever since I bought the card. I'm hoping this did it! *knocks on wood*

BTW, if you are all wondering, I am running a 2009 Mac Pro w/ dual hex-core X5670s & 32GB of EEC RAM. I have a separate SSD for Windows---solely for my Windows-only games. I was only experiencing this GPU issue in Windows, which is indicative of an issue with the AMD drivers made for Windows. (Granted, I obviously cannot test BeamNG on the Mac side of things, but I have stressed the GPU in numerous other ways, under macOS.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice