1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

BeamNG vs RoR, an analogy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kitteh5, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Think of Beam like an SSD or SSD cache, and think of RoR as that ye old HDD. They are very different.

Beam:
    Looks good, much better than RoR on Lowest - write times
    The Torque3D engine is better in many ways, unlike OGRE, which was not very realistic and granular - SATA 3 6.0 Gbps
    Does not crash as much as RoR - no moving parts which can fail
    You will enjoy it much more than that there RoR HDD - read times
    Physics in indefinitely better - Anything else good about SSDs
    Controls are easier to learn - You will never go back
    RoR
    Runs better on your Pentium 4 with SNDS - more compatible
    Does not need much GPU power - Is everywhere in computers
    Usually, mods do not take up as much space, due to their low complexity - storage space
    I can't think about anything better about RoR, I haven't played it for a year, deleted

So, what do you think about it so far? Add more if you wish down below.

#1 Kitteh5, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I still play ror like once a week. Beamng is a great game, and it is miles better, but ror has more of a first person game thing feel to it. You can get out of your car and walk around, you can tow cars, and one massive feature that beamng is missing is ignition. We need an actualy ignition switch, starter, stalling. I don't really understand why it got left out. Apparently there's code for it in the drivetrain files, because someone enabled it in a mod. I used the mod for a little but the auto doesn't know how to use clutch and I use the auto sometimes so I deleted it and re downloaded the original drivetrain code. So here's my abbreviated list
    Beamng
    -all around better physics
    -better cars
    -better maps
    -better graphics
    -better everything
    ROR
    -you have a character dood
    -ignition switch, starter, engine stalls
    -it just still has an appeal to me for some reason, and it is still a blast to play

3. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

they have said it is going to be planned (starter, switch, electricity, stalling) don't forget, that beamng hasnt been out anywhere NEAR as long as RoR, so obviously a lot of planned features (such as the ablility to make tow trucks, macphearson struts, ignition, starter, electricity, engine stalling (due to overheating and so on, which yes, is planned as an actual cause) is probably going to be a while, who knows, maybe the starter part will come in the "race" update as a secret feature

EDIT: see, i actually asked about it a while back, yotakk replied with a pm that he/she had with gabester about it: http://www.beamng.com/threads/3355-Manual-Ignition?p=39063&viewfull=1#post39063

4. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Yea I know, you don't have to tell me this, I read every word of these forums after I first joined and I stayed caught up until the release of the game, there were just too many dern threads. I just don't really understand why we didn't have some kind of basic ignition switch when the game came out. Whatever. I am whining. I'll just wait.

5. Jack Attack

Jack Attack
    Expand Collapse

I agree with potato here. BeamNG is way better than ROR, but ROR feels more finished and has many features that BeamNG does not.

6. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Of course ror feels more finished than Beamng. It was started in like 06 or something. My point is that Beamng is more of like a sandbox, and ror is more of a "game". But Beamng is supposed to be a sandbox now. There's no problem with that, I love it, just pointing out features that I like about ror.

7. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

I really just hope they keep if as a sandbox design with the career mode system they are going for. At least make a career mode and a sandbox mode. Sandbox being precisely what we have now but with a lot more features.

8. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

>free

(duh)

As far as the actual game goes it does have mp which is pretty fun from time to time

9. firelover

firelover
    Expand Collapse

I agred too,im looking forward for beamng with same (and better) possibilities as ror :cool:

10. TheNodeMaster

TheNodeMaster
    Expand Collapse

For me it is very easy.

BeamNG:
    Not as buggy
    Better physics
    Not so many 10 year old's running about

RoR:
    More vehicles

I cant see any difference

11. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

The only advantage of getting ror is 1) It's free (2) There are more vehicles in every other aspect beamng is better! Im sure one day in the near future it will outdo ror in a second:rolleyes:

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

That would be because a real auto typically doesnt use a clutch, it has a torque converter instead, torque converters do allow slip between input and output so a vehicle can remain stationary yet have the engine running etc. Torque converters due to having that slip are less efficient than a traditional clutch but some higher end cars now have locking torque converters instead which have a dog or friction clutch inside them which engages at high RPM and essentially locks the input and output again or a few cars have an electronically operated version of a manual cars clutch and use that instead. But with the regular torque converter they require no manual input from the car computer or anything, they are purely mechanical (or more accurately they are actually hydraulic). BeamNG doesnt simulate a torque converter properly, it only seems to simulate a setup more akin to an auto transmission with manual car clutch, probably why the stalling code was edited out of the game.

13. Ltp0wer

Ltp0wer
    Expand Collapse

Force feedback with my G27 is the only reason I still play RoR every once in awhile.

I don't enjoy drive with my G27 because it doesn't feel right, so I'm still using a 360 controller.

14. Jack Attack

Jack Attack
    Expand Collapse

That's exactly the same for me! Sometimes I just open ROR so I can enjoy a little drive with the manual transmission and great force feedback. Since BeamNG doesn't support it properly, it just doesn't feel right to drive with a G27, so I use my xbox 360 controller as well.

15. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

These are the things I miss about RoR.

I do not care that BeamNG is $15. It is worth it.
    If you are broke and living on the South Side, then get RoR.
    I miss the start/turn on car thing. All I do in Beam is shift into 1st.
    I also miss that boost gauge, bro. I also need a tach/speedo if I am not in 1st person.
    That's my $0.02.

16. flavorbeard

flavorbeard
    Expand Collapse

First blush comparison

BeamNG looks a lot nicer, but I haven't figured out how to drive anything other than the truck. It's unfortunate that this requires research beyond pressing F11 and spawning a vehicle.
    BeamNG is still buggy as hell. Within the first 20 minutes of opening it, I had two crashes. I don't regret buying in, but I don't think that it is as ready as Assetto Corsa was when Kunos released it on Steam.

The vehicle definition stuff looks beautiful.

I get the impression that ROR is a prototype. That being the case, it will never be as good as BeamNG v1.0 is going to be.

Perhaps ironically, my G27 doesn't work with BeamNG, and my XBox controller crashes ROR :p

17. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

Re: First blush comparison

ummm, are you sure your on the latest version? as it's pretty bug free and crash free for me, also, its CTRL+E to change vehicles ;) you can find most controls in the "F1" menu once in-game

18. flavorbeard

flavorbeard
    Expand Collapse

Re: First blush comparison

Lol yeah, I felt pretty stupid when I noticed that in the controls thing that I had already looked at numerous times.

I just downloaded this thing in the last hour or so, and it asked to update. I told it to update, so I think it's the most recent version.
    One of the crashes was a little unfair -- I think there may not have been any audio devices available via directsound.
    The other one happened when I tried to disable post-fx.

I take back what I said before. BeamNG is a lot better than my first blush impressions suggested.

#18 flavorbeard, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice