BeamNG's Folding@Home Lounge. Team #224614

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Bubbleawsome, May 3, 2013.

1. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Re: Folding @ Home, Seti @ Home and other DC projects.

Ok pyroxyde, you can't have more points than the team leader. Bad. XD That's actually really good, grats. EDIT; I'm not going to fold for that long, leaving the pc off for energy. :( I'm coming to get you though! http://kakaostats.com/t.php?t=224614

#21 Bubbleawsome, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. Pyroxyde

Pyroxyde
    Expand Collapse

Hey, Hi ! =)

I've joined the team because it's is very important to me to fight against diseases like cancer. This is an awesome project.
    Plus, I don't need to turn on the heating in my room. The computer (Asus G74) warmed up enough (maybe too much). ^^

I will fold as often as possible.

3. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I just joined the team :) It says estimated points per day: 16k. Is that much?

4. Hemi

Hemi
    Expand Collapse

I see you have a 7950. You could be getting much more ppd with beta units (core_17 as opposed to regular units which are core_16) which are much better optimized on AMD. I've taken a few screenshots of how to set up your client to receive them. Keep in mind also that my client is a little older and the layout may be a tad different. Nothing that can't be figured out easily. Also, if you are using the new client with web control, you'll need to open the actual client itself. Just go to the folding logo in your system tray, right click it and hit advanced control (it's called something along the lines of that) Now:

First off, set your client to expert mode, this will make available some of the options we'll need.

(imported from here)

Next up, press the configure button, which will bring up the configuration window. Select the 'Slots' tab.

(imported from here)
    Now select your GPU folding slot, and hit edit which is in the bottom right-hand corner of the window. This will bring up a more detailed description of some of the slot settings.

(imported from here)

Click extra slot options and hit add, making sure that the bullet above has GPU selected (No need to mess with any other settings, best to leave default). Now it will bring up an 'Edit options' window. For 'Name' enter "client-type" and for the value put "advanced".

(imported from here)

Click ok back through the windows, and as soon as your gpu finishes the unit it's on, you should then be on a Core_17 unit! This will work for Nvidia cards as well. Cheers all! (If the images are too large, just let me know and I can change that)

#24 Hemi, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Thx hemi :) I'll have to wait until it finishes the one it's doing right now. Seems way faster with beta, I'm just getting 7.5k ppd with just the gpu, and you're getting 80k :D

#25 Davidbc, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
  6. Hemi

Hemi
    Expand Collapse

No troubles mate! This is also just at conservative clocks of 900/1250. I hit 100K when I was running my card at 1000/1350. Folding scales quite well with gpu overclocking. You'll get vastly greater amounts of credits from these work units as well. :eek:

7. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. I, being a retard, did not turn my pc off over my trip. Thus the energy savings kinda went out the window. lol But I still wasn't folding.

Thanks! You've all come to pass me. XD

Thanks for the beta tutorial. I've got a rather limiting hd 7770 and that'll help me catch them. ;)
    EDIT: I just realized that I started all my quotes with thanks. It's true though! EDIT2: I got a crappy bunch of WU's, all 8 threads running+my GPU oc'ed to 1075/1243 I'm getting 4285ppd. XD

#27 Bubbleawsome, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
  8. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I got my first ZETA unit and my ppd went from 6k to over 40k. And that's while gaming, my ppd on full folding went from 12k to over 70k.
    (imported from here) And instead of taking 6 hours this one takes 3.
    (imported from here)

#28 Bubbleawsome, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  9. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Giving public thanks to pyro.
    (imported from here)I'm stuck to GPU folding for now, CPU overheats.

10. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

I'm just going to download the latest F@H and see how much PPD I'll get, and see if it's worth doing it :D

EDIT: Started it, forgetting I have my fan shut off on my "idle" card, it's not too bad-went from 60C to 77C(ok 78 now.)...PS: I didn't have a vga-dvi adapter to connect my second screen(which is VGA only, it was lying around unused) so i used my old graphics card and it works perfect even without the fan(it just made noise anyway)
    EDIT2: 80C :D (oohh 79. and 80 :eek:)

#30 Kamil_, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  11. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Any ppd is worth it as long as you don't mind energy bills. It all helps.

12. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

13. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

14. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

I have a 6950 and that's making about 1k, my cpu is making about 7k...Weird

15. Pyroxyde

Pyroxyde
    Expand Collapse

Hi !

My computer is folding almost all days & nights. I've a laptotp. It's an Asus G74 with a Intel Core i7 @ 2 Ghz, 8 GB RAM & a NVidia GTX 560M. Not very powerful compared to desktop computersl.
    I've also a very old computer which is folding with an old dual core CPU @ 1,6 Ghz and a NVidia 9650M GT. ^^

But now, it's too hot in my bedroom. (CPU around 80?C & GPU around 70?C). So air temp is about 30?C. I hope winter is coming haha.

Cordially,

16. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

Yup, It's summer here, when I ran F@H my room temp must've raised by 5C xD
    Using my computer as a heater is a really good idea really, but my CPU only goes from 33C idle to 50C with F@H, on all cores and full setting :D

OK...the wu I had on my CPU took about 20 hours to do and it gave me only 353 score. WOW.

17. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I feel them temp pain. In the winter I would full load about 68c, but now with the Texas summer and 105f (40.5c) days, I get 76c load and my room is an oven. >.< So it's either water cooling, an awesome air cooler, phase change cooling, or GPU folding only. Needles to say, I've had to go with the cheapest option, so I am sad. XD

18. TheDominator

TheDominator
    Expand Collapse

Alright, time to use all of my 8 cores and GTX 670 for something useful, are there any problems usually with AMD CPUs? Does it affect gaming performance much?
    EDIT: For some reason i'm not showing up in the list for the team. Getting 32633 at full load so far, doing it for alzheimers due to the recent passing of a relative

#38 TheDominator, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  19. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Just 32k? Are you using the beta units? I get 70-80k with just my GPU.

20. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

GK104 (gtx 600 and 770 and down) is compute weak, GK110 (titan and 780) is AWESOME! Better than a 7990 compute wise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice