BeamNG's Folding@Home Lounge. Team #224614

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Bubbleawsome, May 3, 2013.

1. Hemi

Hemi
    Expand Collapse

Re: Folding @ Home, Seti @ Home and other DC projects.

Hey all. Think I might join your folding team over here as RoR seems to be dead right now. I'll spin up my 3770K for ya. Also, found a guy with a dead 7970 on kijiji for 100$. Still under warranty, so all I have to do is send it in and I have a super cheap folding card :eek:. Oh and my first WU is a very small one because I've lost my QRB after switching teams. Next WU should be worth 17K or more. Cheers.

#101 Hemi, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Wow, thanks! This team is kind of in a coma. :p pyro folds constantly, but I believe the rest of us fold on our main/gaming pc, so we dont get much done. I personally can not fold due to the 111 days we have had here in Texas. Even with a water loop (not mine) the CPU stays cool but that's dumping nearly 250w of heat into my room. I do GPU fold though. I know a few of us did one but discovered laptops are not for folding. (me also)

But, anyways, I really appreciate it. Looking forward to that 7970!

3. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

I'd fold but I either forget or need to use my computer :eek:

4. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

I guess I'll give folding a whirl :)

5. Jon

Jon
    Expand Collapse

Might give it a try, only concern is my laptop would most likely overheat since it's 1 year old and filled with dust ;/

6. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Woo! Thanks!
    If it is a dual or quad (or tri) core machine try limiting folding to 1 or 2 cores to decrease heat, and download speedfan to force 100% fan. If speedfan doesn't work I will tell you how, kinda lengthy.

7. Jon

Jon
    Expand Collapse

comp spec: I7 2670qm, GT540m (2GB), 8 GB ram

EDIT: My computer have been bit by the lazy bug as it only gives about 6k points a day because my GPU is not functional (won't go out of idle mode). And the fans are going crazy with only cpu on... I might as well poor gasoline on it and ignite it rather than having this running :/

I have been thinking about building a tower pc for the first time and might consider to give this another try then ;)

I'm sorry i won't be able to participate :(

#107 Jon, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  8. Hemi

Hemi
    Expand Collapse

If I was you I would just save your laptop from the heat and stop running. I doubt it will complete units on time, and if it does it'll be for a negligible amount of points. Don't mean to come across rude, just trying to save you time doing something that will not prove to be overly fruitful. If you do build your own rig, go for an AMD-based discreet graphics card. They have the best compute of any cards around. The Titan and 780 do beat the 7970, but not by much. Not to mention the 7970 is approaching 2yrs in age and Nvidia is only now catching up. 9000/8000 series is coming out in September/October. Best to wait until then if doing a build. My 2c.

9. eletricmano

eletricmano
    Expand Collapse

Guys, I'm gonna move to an other city. And when I get there I'm going to join the BeamNG team and fold with you guys! I have a very, very (very) old computer that I don't use anymore. It's very bad, but at least it's a computer!

10. SeaDooSnipe

SeaDooSnipe
    Expand Collapse

It's final that it'll be 9000 series, look on Linus' latest livestream, he talks about Sapphire making 7 different coolers for the series.

11. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

It really doesn't matter about the points, we are doing this for a good casue. (The points are nice though ;))
    It's fine, as hemi said, amd is the best for compute atm. If you are gaming/folding, the only real options are GK110 cards, below that is relatively compute weak, as are cape verde.

12. Jon

Jon
    Expand Collapse

I stopped folding after 5 min because i realized that my computer wouldn't have survived it for very long (and it's my only computer i got so it would be a bad thing to destroy it)

OFF-TOPIC: I can't see why i would choose AMD simply because it's more expensive and gives less power than nvidia does (700 series is cheaper), i'm not a very good at desktop computers as i have only been owning laptops so far. So i'm starting a new off-topic thread to discuss my future computer if anyone would like to help me out: http://www.beamng.com/threads/992-Picking-computer-parts-(first-pc-build)?p=14822#post14822

13. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Sorry guys, my laptop haz just died. I have to wait 3 f**king weeks for Geek Squad to verify it is broken before I can get a new laptop. Now, I can't fold.

14. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Tip: Never-ever-until-the-end-of-the-universe use geek squad. Anything is better. Try frys electronics, microcenter, anything. GS charged me something like $300 to back up and restore my data, and took 5 days. It was 130 something GB. They suck.

15. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

Anything computer related a Best Buy sucks. I can buy a GTX 550ti for 225 bucks on sale there. Seriously?!?!?! It was actually only 75 bucks more to get the 660ti! Best Buy has awful pricing and service. I never buy things from there without comparing prices on the internet.

16. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

My parents bought the laptop, and they thought Best Buy was the best place to go because my mom works with someone who works there.

17. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I know that this isn't related to F@H, but I hope no one will kill me. :p

I'm currently about to turn this computer off and pack it, and my new house still doesn't have internet. So I might not post for upwards of 2 weeks. Then again, I might. See below.

TL; DR (You wimps, it's just as long :D)
    I am leaving for a while, and if you see someone on one of the below websites raging at either bubbleawsome, bubblehero, icraft or fastcraft, tell them I am gone.
    I frequent;
    minecraft forums
    ror forums
    bukkit forums
    toms hardware
    anandtech

Thanks!

18. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

Sure thing ;) *waits for Bubbleawesome to leave* Hey everybody! Have you heard about this BubbleAwesome guy? He is stupid! lol jk.
    Have fun moving in!

19. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Just got my laptop back! Now am folding.

20. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice