Better Troll Prevention/Community Support

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Harkin Gaming, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

What do you guys think of 2)? I think it would be good for people who want to become better members of this forum.

EDIT: I am aware that it wont help people that are here to troll or people that dont care.

2. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

We have forum rules for that. If you follow the rules, you will be a good (but a little boring :) ) member. We don't need anything besides them. As you already said, people don't troll or shitpost because they don't know it is not allowed; they know everything and still do it because they want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

I will probably start trolling because of how much everybody hates it...

Kappa

4. Vinh

Vinh
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Maybe you guys can stop overreacting.
    This is just giving trolls more attention.
    My suggestion: If you encounter a troll thread, laugh it off (or give it a finger if you are in a bad mood), reach for the report button then report the thread and the thread creator and it should be gone by the next day.
    Stop overreacting please, give the devs some time to work on the game and not having to clean the forums up from crap.

• Agree Agree x 8
  5. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Once again, it wasn't enough to make tdev change his mind.

6. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

He won't. He learned his lesson from the ror forums, so it's completely idiotic to try it again even though he knows it will fail. We will never have community moderators.

7. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I don't see how RoR was a learned lesson. By doing nothing, it's only enabling the trolls to come in and get what they want.

What's it going to take to prove that this forum needs more anti troll updates?

8. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

We CAN ignore them, and..

9. Fast-Subaru71

Fast-Subaru71
    Expand Collapse

The thing is, even if we do find ways to prevent trolling, trolls will get smarter and find means to avoid those anti-trolling measures for sure.

10. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

I think it's up to the community to stop trolls, like last night, a massive war was made against a troll and he eventually stopped without and Dev interventions, then the came and gave warnings to those who dropped the text wall nukes that stopped him but, hey, no one is perfect

11. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Lol, like what?
    Registering under a user name that already exists?
    Using someone elses avatar?
    Using someone elses email?

12. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

More advanced trolling techniques. Rather than simply spamming useless garbage, they might start studying members' likes and dislikes to bait them. Maybe even read up on their Machiavelli and start turning us against one another. I've always been told that that's what truly advanced trolling is, and while it's unlikely that anyone would bother with that unless they represent a rival product or have an axe to grind, it would be more difficult to spot and stop, certainly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

The walls of text didn't stop him from trolling, he got bored and just let the 12 year olds take over. 600+ posts in under 5 hours is pretty bad. The real problem here isn't that he was trolling, the problem is that people latched onto it and used it as an excuse to spam and shitpost.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

I don't think you were on when he started. He created one thread called Front Wheel Dually, something along the lines of that... which was basically an empty zip.
    Then he created another thread called dually pessima, which was just another troll thread. After a while, he renamed it to "PERABANNED" then changed it again to Mitsubishi something, and all of a sudden, better spelling & grammar. I archived all 4 threads if you want a look.
    --- Post updated ---
    And also, he constantly renamed it after he got discovered & the final thread name was a GMC I believe.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

I will be maintaining a list of trolls and the dates upon which they get beaned in my sig. I'm a lazy bones and I hate editing my sig, so you better not put yourself on it.

Anyway, next time someone posts something that is obviously spam, JUST IGNORE IT -- have a chuckle, report it and move on. I made the mistake of telling the trolls to "get out," and they decided to fight back by... quoting my post fifty times. If you ignore the spam, you make sure that the spammers won't have any fun. They will go away faster, it's easier for the mods to clean up, and you are less likely to get warning points/temporary beans.

#55 vmlinuz, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  16. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

Don't give them more ideas... for all we know, they maybe looking at this thread right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I saw the first one. It was obvious even then that it was a troll. He played all of you like a fiddle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

Well, I guess you've been there. Well, still, the s***posting problem is still a problem with trolls & not trolls.

19. SilverRam1500

SilverRam1500
    Expand Collapse

I may have a solution. Of course it has flaws but it might be worth it to share the idea at least.

My solution only affects modding threads unfortunately.

Modders would have to follow these rules:
    -One mod thread per 24 hours (New)
    -Traditional rules, you know.

This might stem the flow of trash, let the community gather its breath.

Also a voting system would be put into place, please let me explain.

In order for a mod to be removed it must receive 65-70% negative votes. This way mods can't simply be removed due to one random troll down voting.

Also once a mod was "removed" it would be placed into an area called "Unaccepted Mods." The author would then have 72 hours/3 days to put the poorly rated mod into a new section of said users profile called "Holding" or something similar.

This way the mod author could improve the mod and re-release it without it actually being permanently deleted, as long as they claimed it in time.

20. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

I can see the mod voting being abused...
    --- Post updated ---
    It could be improved to be where it says "Warning, maybe troll thread/mod" so less likely for everyone to s***post on it. And lock it from replies too. However, I can see tdev's face when shooting this down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice