1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Billboard meshes no longer working?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by kirbyguy22, Sep 19, 2020.

1. kirbyguy22

kirbyguy22
    Expand Collapse

Billboard meshes should always face the camera on the Y-axis, which is useful for stuff like 2D trees. It used to be possible to mark a mesh as a billboard by prefixing the mesh name with either BB_ or BBZ_, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

beamngbillboards.jpg

The cube on the left is prefixed BB_, while the one on the right is BBZ_. The old Shape Editor confirms that they are recognized as billboards.

Here are the same two meshes in the Alpha Pre-Race update from 2014 (yes I somehow still have this on my computer):

beamngbillboardsalpha.jpg

As you can see, they're working properly here, with BBZ_ on the left and BB_ on the right.

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Both are working fine here

Make sure you are naming the objects inside the .DAE properly. The name of the .DAE file itself does not matter:
    upload_2020-9-20_10-44-56.png

Or share your .DAE file

3. kirbyguy22

kirbyguy22
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for replying!

There was indeed something wrong with the .DAE, but not with the naming of the objects. I found out that it's 3Ds Max 2021's built-in .DAE exporter that causes the problem for some reason. By simply importing the non-working files then re-exporting with the OpenCOLLADA exporter (https://github.com/RemiArnaud/OpenCOLLADA/) or Blender, the billboard meshes work properly.

beamng_cubes_test.jpg
    From left to right:
    1. Blender cube with BB_
    2. Max cube with BBZ_ exported with OpenCOLLADA
    3. Max cube with BB_ exported with OpenCOLLADA
    4. Exact same scene as (3) but exported with Autodesk COLLADA
    I've attached (3) and (4) below.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice