WIP Beta released Black Hills A desert world 1.2.3 1.0

A large desert map with bumpy roads

1. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

Re: Black Cliff A desert world

I wouldn't say that my modelling skills are all that good. I'm just pretty good at replicating techniques that I've seen used in other's work.

All of my plant textures are currently in a png format. Since you're experiencing crashing with your textures, you are probably saving them in a dds format that torque3d doesn't like. If it doesn't have something to do with the format, your problem might be related to mipmaps or layers.

2. JohnV

JohnV
    Expand Collapse

That's weird, because the file is dds, before I edit it. Also all the textures in the official BeamNG maps are dds. Something is just not right here...

3. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

I really should have said "subcategory of dds". There are many different subcategories for dds images, as shown in this image. dds_example.png

Unlike pngs and jpegs, dds images use layers as a way to show lower quality versions of an image based upon the image's distance from a player. This is probably where your problem is stemming from. If you're only modifying the highest layer, you probably need to merge all visible layers before exporting. Exporting also needs to be done a particular way. Though I don't know what the best export layout is, the one in this image has worked for me. ddszam3.png

4. JohnV

JohnV
    Expand Collapse

I see now. So, that was the issue... Seems really logical to me. Hopefully, I will have no more problems! Thanks! Also, I am really grateful for taking your time and making images on every single reply, to help me more.:) If I need any more help, I will ask you in private, for not bumping your terrain thread anymore.

5. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

I just got the opportunity to download this. Nice. I like where this is going.

My only major criticism is that the map seems to read as being too overcast, dark, and grainy. Compare these two images:

screenshot_00017.png screenshot_00019.png

With a few simple changes, the map seems much more like a dry, sunny desert.

Aside from that, the roads seem like they could and should be a little wider. If there's anything other than sunlight, sand, and rough biker bars that the American Southwest has in abundance, it's space. So, absurdly wide (11-12 meter, not including shoulders) highways would be par for the course.

Edit, below: yeah, never been much good with properly measuring distances.

#65 Occam's Razer, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  6. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

View attachment 32059 View attachment 32058

Since I uploaded the version a few days ago, a number of changes have been made with the sky. Most of your problems in this area related to me messing with a cloud contrast number that had a heavy effect on hdr. Since then, this has been fixed. I've also adjusted the lighting with a brighter ambient and darker shadow.

updated lighting and sky- the fog is still a yellowish-grey, but, in time, I'll have this fixed.
    BeamNG 2014-06-21 03-46-26-52.jpg

Now, the grainy issue is a serious problem. Basically, your game is mipmapping everything way too early. I'm working on figuring this one out.

I suspect that this problem might be related to a flawed torque3d file that was released in the initial beamng release. On my computer, I've got beamng installed in two places. One of them is an updated version of theinitial release, while the other was fully downloaded with the most recent patch. The first of these two versions has the same problem that you're experiencing.

They definitely need another foot or two. 11-12 meters would probably be a tad too much, though.

#66 Ouerbacker, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  7. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

The paved road is a tiny bit rough, other than that absolutely gorgeous map, excellent work.

8. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

It's amazing as people get a handle on this program how nice everything is getting. This map is total proof. I now have a fresh chunk of mesquite sittin' right next to my puter'.:cool:

Thanks for this!

9. Insanegaz

Insanegaz
    Expand Collapse

Re: Black Hills A desert world

This is a great map and loads of fun for fast driving :)

10. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

screenshot_00004.jpg

As a born and raised Arizonan I commend and thank you on this awesome map...the atmosphere is only missing the sweet scent of Mesquite.

screenshot_00005.jpg
    I added some skybrightness, flare and general sun brightness to these pics to further convey the merciless Sonoran oven.

- - - Updated - - -

screenshot_00006.png

Standin' on the porch havin' a smoke. We're all kickin' it in the bar.

screenshot_00008.jpg

......and someone said somethin' bout' somebodies mom.

11. vicvega

vicvega
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely fantastic map! If possible, please make the paved road a bit smother.

12. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

(imported from here)

13. Shadowdragon94

Shadowdragon94
    Expand Collapse

this map is SO MUCH FUN

and even better,it reminds me of my home state (hint:its between new mexico and california)

14. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Ditto that! Really want some cacti damnit. Saguaro, mesquite, prickly pear, barrel, ocotillo etc would make this map an absolute experience.

15. DigitalX

DigitalX
    Expand Collapse

This is the kind of map I absolutely love, will download asap!

I'm having spawning issues, sometimes the car will appear under the map, and I control use any controls.

#75 DigitalX, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  16. atxoxx

atxoxx
    Expand Collapse

Hmm I have a crash when I load the map with last update, any idea to fix it ? :)

17. Seb121314

Seb121314
    Expand Collapse

thanks to make very good map for me it's the best non 'official' map !

18. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

This might have something to do with how the updated version of beamng takes longer to load. Your game could be loading in the jbeam stuff before the terrain collision. When I convert all of this world's image files over to dds, this problem might go away. Could you post your computer specs.

Your problem is probably caused by this world's activated time cycle or corrupted files. I would recommend running cleanup.bat and redowloading this world. If these solutions don't fix your problem, please post your specs.

working on this right now

If I have a day when I feel in a plant making mood, I'll see what I can do.

#78 Ouerbacker, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  19. atxoxx

atxoxx
    Expand Collapse

Your tips didn't solve my problem :/

Voila my specs :

CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40 GHz (Deneb)
    GC : GIGABYTE GTX 560 TI

20. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Thanks ouerbacker, my rant about cactus wasn't directed at you but rather in all directions.:p Was thinking for sure cactus was part of the new veggies in the pre-race update.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice