WIP Beta released Black Hills A desert world 1.2.3 1.0

A large desert map with bumpy roads

1. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

Re: Black Hills A desert world

I've got two more ideas.

1st one. Remove the basetex.dds file from the blackhills file. This will cause the game to generate a new basetex. Unfortunately, torque3d's compression causes a lot of rgb noise.

2nd one. If the first idea doesn't work, download and try this older version. By default, its timecycle is not enabled.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/62rmy53hlm6b03q/blackhills(2).zip

Don't worry about it. Back in the initial beamng alpha there were a bunch of files relating to a Utah level. Let's hope it shows up after the northeast one.

2. RedBolide

RedBolide
    Expand Collapse

I can honestly say that this is my favorite terrain in BeamNG. It looks absolutely stunning, and the map is massive. You've done a great job with it!

3. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

thanks

Here's a small update

I've done some work on smoothing roads and making the western side of the map more interesting.

This video shows these things. Please ignore my mumblings or mute the video.

Aside from the one bump, does the section of road shown in the video seem smooth enough?

Also, please note that the wind farm section isn't in any way finished.

#83 Ouerbacker, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  4. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

Looking much better.

5. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I don't understand why everyone thinks the roads are too bumpy. At the speeds we all go on this map ANY real life road would be that bumpy or worse. I guess only folks who have actually lived in these areas
    would understand. Anyway, the update video really shows the improvements to the skybox from the update and the windfarm is a welcome addition. I did an exterior boundry joy ride in the off road
    Gavril D and it took me 5 trucks to get all the way around. This map is just pure dope.

6. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

Here's another small update.

There are two clear updates, one being the brighter dirt detail texture and the other a new building.
    BeamNG 2014-06-30 05-27-13-53.jpg BeamNG 2014-06-30 05-33-24-61.jpg
    BeamNG 2014-06-30 05-34-47-18.jpg BeamNG 2014-06-30 05-43-21-72.jpg
    Everything's looking a lot more natural.

The main background task that I'm working on right now involves the placement of the rock texture. Currently, I'm manually fixing a lot of the sloppy painting that happened in the initial procedural process.

Also, the wind farm/ research center is still a wip.

7. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

You really have got the desert atmosphere thing down. This map at high noon is something to behold.

8. Spartacus

Spartacus
    Expand Collapse

Ouerbacker this beautiful map for sure is going to become a BeamNG.drive Classic. Amazing job you're doing buddy! Thanks! :)

9. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

don't forget those horrible spiky things all over the ground, goatheads? I think? I went to NM to visit a family member long time ago, and I made the mistake of running out of the house barefoot to catch the ice cream man lol worst mistake of my life. I of course fell over in pain, and felt even more pain. those things are horrible.

edit:

yup, goatheads...HERE is a link to read all about em. THOSE would be great on this map, maybe make them a bit larger than usual, so if you venture off into the off-road terrain, then you might just get a random flat tire. (bigger than usual size since the real goatheads are only big enough to really cause issues for bicycle tires)

10. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

yep...we called em' "stickers". Major pain in the ass for bicycle tires. Stepping on one barefoot ruined the whole day.....ah the memories.

11. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

where my family is, in the pueblo in albaquerque, (sp?) they were everywhere...almost like hell. pretty close to it lol

12. alphatronic

alphatronic
    Expand Collapse

Awesome work!

Perfect map for a remake of Vanishing Point. :)

BeamNG 2014-06-30 23-48-59-76.jpg

13. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Phoenix proper when I lived there. We had a new house in Paradise Valley right at the edge of wild desert and the stickers were merciless.

goathead.jpg

14. XYReis

XYReis
    Expand Collapse

Is there any way to reduce draw distance?

I feel like that's the reason my fps is pretty low (1080p maxed out, 35-40fps@99% gpu usage)

15. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, there's a way.

To change the view distance, hit alt+enter. This will put you into windowed mode. Now, hit f11. This will open the editor. On your left, there will be a menu of sorts. Expand the sun and sky category by hitting the little arrow thingy to the left of it. In this category, a thing called "thelevelinfo" can be found. Click on this. A bunch of things will appear beneath this menu. One of the subcategories found in this bunch of things says visible distance. This is the one you're looking for.

While the draw distance is eating fps, I don't think it's the main culprit. I think the main fps problem relates to the size of some of the textures currently used. This is a problem I intend to fix soon.

16. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

What are your sys specs....35-40FPS on max ain't bad.

17. XYReis

XYReis
    Expand Collapse

i7-4820K@4.6GHz, 6GB DDR3-1866, R9 280X 3GB@1050/1545

18. Shadowdragon94

Shadowdragon94
    Expand Collapse

where i live in pheonix we deal with em every week lol..well used to when i was in elementary school,dang i made a horrid mistake of running onto the sidewalk barefood...owch

19. MaRcIu

MaRcIu
    Expand Collapse

hello, I really like this map thank you! Is there a way to turn off time cycle?

20. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Open the editor with F11, on the right side of the screen you will see a "scene" tab, under that select arrow for" mission group", under that will be "TOD"= time of day, select it.
    Under the inspector window scroll down to the "play" box and unselect. Be sure to save level to keep it like that until you change it again. Hope this helps.:cool:

Screenshot (14).jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice