OFFICIAL Blender JBeam Editor

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Leeloo, Sep 20, 2023.

  1. Blenux

    Blenux
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2021
    Messages:
    145
    You wouldn't happen to have a github repo for this???
     
  2. Tomsteel

    Tomsteel
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2013
    Messages:
    53
    I don't, sorry! I'm not planning any major changes for it in the near future. In my opinion, I've reached the point I wanted to reach when I decided to extend the official addon. Later on, if it undergoes a more serious overhaul, I will create a repo for it. Feel free to give the project ideas or any type of feedback.
    --- Post updated ---
    (unofficial) Version 0.2.70 - REUPLOADED 3X

    - fixed Batch Node Renaming not working when multiple nodes were selected. FIXED NEWLY INTRODUCED INDEX COUNTER INFINITE LOOP ISSUE (thank you BeamNut for the report!)

    - fixed moving/scaling/rotating in object-mode resulting in incorrect location/size. (thank you crashmaster for the report!)

    - added Recalc Outside button next to the Flip Face(s) button during face selection, which uses the built-in "Recalculate Outside" feature to make all selected normals face outward. Note that due to the chaotic structure of JBeams, the built-in function rarely gets it right!

    - added Batch Property Edit function for nodes and beams (updated node group handling: can now append to existing groups)

    How it works:

    1. Select the nodes or beams in the 3D viewport that you wish to modify.
    2. Navigate to the new "Batch Property Edit" panel in the JBeam Editor.
    3. Choose whether you want to apply changes to "Nodes" or "Beams."
    4. Select a common JBeam parameter from the "Presets" dropdown (e.g., nodeWeight, beamSpring, beamDamp), or type in any custom parameter name.
    5. Enter the desired value for that parameter. This can be a number, a string, or even a JBeam expression.
    6. Click "Apply to Selected," and the addon will automatically update the JBeam file for all selected elements

    ----- 06/20/2026 ------

    - fixed the New Node Naming System incorrectly using longer prefixes/suffixes.
    - reorganized the JBeam side panel, added icons and a Debug section.
    - Batch Node Renaming has been merged into the new Symmetry & Naming section and now features the customizable prefix/suffix system as an option.
     

    Attached Files:

    #382 Tomsteel, Jun 13, 2026
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2026
  3. Blenux

    Blenux
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2021
    Messages:
    145
    Oh ok, was thinking of forking then original and continue some fixes, since your edits/features are ahead of the original Blender JBeam Editor, might be confusing for not to include these features, unless you don't mind me including them (with credit of course) in my own fork?
     
  4. Tomsteel

    Tomsteel
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2013
    Messages:
    53
    That sounds great! I’d be absolutely delighted if you did that.
     
  5. crashmaster

    crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,946
    i guess im the only one facing issues with this plugin.
    cool
    ill go fms
     
  6. Tomsteel

    Tomsteel
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2013
    Messages:
    53
    I'm currently investigating the scaling issue, it might exceed my capabilities, but I'll try my best. Thank you for the report!
     
  7. crashmaster

    crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,946
    sorry
    i shouldve reported it earlier
    though to myself its been happening since the beginning so itll happen eventually to someone else whom will report it.
    apparently not lol
     
  8. Blenux

    Blenux
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2021
    Messages:
    145
    Looking into that too, its a world space to mesh local space issue.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  9. crashmaster

    crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,946
    ayyyy progress!!! idk what it means but hopefully closer to getting it fixed xD
    thank you guys.
    sorry for earlier. been waiting forever and struggled a lot again today. couldnt even move a node without stuff borking itself.

    ill be patient in the meantime lmao
     
  10. Blenux

    Blenux
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2021
    Messages:
    145
    What version of blender do you use?
     
  11. Tomsteel

    Tomsteel
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2013
    Messages:
    53
    I've updated the latest version with a potential fix for the issue you've reported. Could you please check for me if it solves it or not?
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/blender-jbeam-editor.94204/page-20#post-1936357
     
    • Like Like x 1
  12. crashmaster

    crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,946
    im currently running 4.5.10 LTS from steam
    but this issue has been present since the very first plugin 0.1 released by the devs. and has been an issue in any version of blender i tried. 4.20, 4.3, 4.5 etc


    SCRATCH THAT IT WORKED AFTER I RESTARTED BLENDER LOL

    thank you so much <3
     
    #392 crashmaster, Jun 14, 2026
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2026
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Blenux

    Blenux
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2021
    Messages:
    145
    My fix.

    Before


    After


    *ah I see tomsteel reuploaded his too, very similar fixes :cool:
     
    #393 Blenux, Jun 14, 2026
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2026
    • Like Like x 2
  14. crashmaster

    crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,946
    is this with the potential fix linked above?
    or another fix you created?
     
  15. Blenux

    Blenux
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2021
    Messages:
    145
    I'll have to double check, I just notice his was reuploaded with a fix for that scale issue.

    * I tried his fix, and it should of fixed the issue for you.
     
  16. crashmaster

    crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,946
    ayo im sorry for the quick double post.

    did i need to restart blender for the change to be affected?
    i just ran blender again, uninstalled the plugin, and reinstalled it again, and it just works now?

    ill keep yall updated if it behaves weirdly again.

    tried it with both blender 4.5.10 LTS and another version i have 4.5.6 LTS and it both works fine.

    idk why it didnt work initially ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
     
  17. Blenux

    Blenux
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2021
    Messages:
    145
    Yeah for some addons best to always restart for new fixes to be reloaded in.
     
    • Like Like x 2
  18. crashmaster

    crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,946
    thank you very much both of you
    you are awesome <3
     
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Blenux

    Blenux
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2021
    Messages:
    145
    No worries!

    I've have been working on a .dae import/export for Blender 5.x too by the way, just slowly cleaning up the code.

    Here is Blender 5.3 Alpha
     
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Blenux

    Blenux
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2021
    Messages:
    145
    Here is my fork of jbeam editor if yous wanna look at things, not much in it currently, but will slowly be fixing this up over time.

    https://github.com/Blenux/Blender-JBeam-Editor

    TomSteel - I added all of your added features to each of their own branches based on the version of that time, and also merge into a dev branch too, still need to commit the scale fix you did though.
    https://github.com/Blenux/Blender-JBeam-Editor/branches/yours

    Been looking at the code and have some things I wanna fix on , Blender 5.0 requires changes etc, since this addon is still based on Blender 4.5 api.

    When I finish up my Blender 5.x BeamNG Dae Importer/Exporter (release the thing too), I will be working on this more, to improve things in time.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice