WIP BMW e61 touring

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by Mitki4a, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Summerfriend

Summerfriend
    Expand Collapse

The kidney grilles and wheel arches in my opinion look way too low poly.

2. RCmaster

RCmaster
    Expand Collapse

Hello,

The car looks AMAZING, and I can't wait to see it in game if a purchase DRIVE.
    I have a question though. I have just started to play with Blender myself, and I was wondering how you make the whole car. I mean, I started with the hood, but to do the other parts, do you add a new plane, or do you just extrude individual vertices? And is it, like, correct to leave out the headlights and grill and other parts so you can model those after?

Thanks!

~RC

3. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

There are a myriad of tutorials on the site pertaining to modelling and construction, which can be found in the forum, developer's blog, and wiki. I've written the one linked in my signature.

To answer your question, there are many different ways to model a car for BeamNG, but the goal is to model them in vein of the official cars for consistency's sake.
    You can start anywhere as long you're modelling something that spans the width of the car, such as the hood, roof, trunk, bumpers, etc. This just makes your life easier when you use the mirror modifier.
    Some people model the whole body as one piece then separate the parts (I believe Gabester does this), while others model each part individually from the get-go (I do this). Do whatever you're more comfortable with.
    Again, some model the headlights, grille, and other miscellany last, while others model it as they complete the adjacent areas.

4. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

I also start with the hood and extrude the other parts of it, and after I think that a part is ready I separate it with "P/By Selection".It is the same for the headlights, grills, doors, windows and everything on the body.Of course the suspension is made out of a different planes.any other part is made out of one single plane in the hood.See my previous posts on this thread to see how I made some of the parts.
    I hope I helped you!:)

5. RCmaster

RCmaster
    Expand Collapse

Thank's guys. So how would I make smooth curves? This is probably a pretty stupid question, but sometimes when I use the subdivide tool, it won't smooth the edges of the hood. Do I just add more vertices?

Anyway, thank you SO much, this helped a lot!

6. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

If your goal is to make a realistic car for a render or animation you can add a lot of subdivision surface.
    But if you are making a car for game (especially BeamNG or RoR) you need a different approach because of the FPS, performance, N/B...etc.I'm making mine on that way:first select the whole thing and click "Smooth" on the left side.Probably the result won't satisfy you, so add it An Edge Split modifier.You can change the degrees on it to lower the effect of "Smooth".That way you can achieve pretty good results with small amount of polygons.:)
    This is with Edge Split and Smooth:
    EDGE_SPLIT.jpg
    EDGE_SPLIT_2.jpg
    You can see that SubSurf creates too many polyes:
    S_s.jpg
    And only "Smooth" looks just terrible:):
    smooth.jpg
    I think I helped you.Fingers cross soon we can see model made by you on this forum:)!

7. RCmaster

RCmaster
    Expand Collapse

Alright, I'll try that. Thanks! I am hoping to make a thread on a little Aston Martin that I am making. I hope to see more from you though too. :D

8. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

Is this "little aston martin " is Cygnet?

9. RCmaster

RCmaster
    Expand Collapse

Nah, I'm making the Vanquish, the Cygnet would be fun to smash though. XD

10. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

I fixed the front bumper.It looks better now:
    front_fix.jpg
    front_fix2.jpg
    What is your thoughts about it?

11. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

No need to fine tune model on this stage of development. Specifically because game engine renders are slightly different then blender shader and they will be even mode different after applying native Torque3D materials. So just an humble advice - proceed with some jbeam data to get model inside game engine, sooner is better.

12. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I'm looking at that direction and trying to understand how to make it.I'll be very happy if I make this thing move in BeamNG (this is my first project of this sort).For now I think it is better to try to "adapt" already made jbeam (grand marshal's for example) for my car.I don't know how much nodes and beams do I have to use for the hood for example or how to make suspension.I'm gathering info from here and there about it:)

13. GhostRai

GhostRai
    Expand Collapse

looks great so far!

14. TomWis97

TomWis97
    Expand Collapse

Looks absolutely great! It will be awesome to drive this around! :D

15. asad1234

asad1234
    Expand Collapse

You should make a sedan version aswell I don't know what it's called but I've seem one in think it the bmw m5

16. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

The sedan is called e60.This is e61.Like the wagon the sedan is 520i, 525i, 530i, 530d etc.... and of course - the top version M5.Sedan is not planned for now but when I finish this it won't be too hard to convert it to a sedan.
    BMW_E60_rear_20080515.jpg

P.S: Don't worry the project is on hold for now because I don't have much time to work on it.Expect progress in the next 2-3 months.:)

17. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

I've lost some motivation for working on the bmw and I decided to make a new project(don't worry I will continue working on the bmw when I have more motivation:)).Inspired by Gabester's cars in Official Showroom i decided to make my own car starting with no blueprints and I haven't even got a drawing of the car.Everything is in my head;)Here is the progress so far...
    first_imaginery_car.png
    first_imaginery_car2.png
    first_imaginery_car3.png
    first_imaginery_car4.png
    The progress isn't much to make a whole thread for it.
    This is my first car I build without blueprints or any reference pictures so it isn't very good.Oh and give ideas for a name....:)

18. dxg1997

dxg1997
    Expand Collapse

This looks vagely like the new Barracuda... just, like the split grille and such. other than that, bit more like the challenger, height-wise

(imported from here)

19. Neidjel

Neidjel
    Expand Collapse

I believe Gabester actually uses blueprints to get the sizes of the cars to sort of match real cars, to add to the realism... You might want to try that as well..?

20. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

Yes I thought about that but I think is very difficult to make my own blueprints on paint.net for example.I'll have to perfectly match all the proportions of the car on top, side, front and rear view or I'll just confuse myself...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice