WIP Beta released Bob's Better Bolide

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by dkutch, Apr 29, 2014.

1. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

I spent some time today doing some tweaking to the Bolide. This WILL REPLACE any current Bolide you have installed, so make a back up please. It's best to delete the old super folder and then extract this. It's all jbeam tweaks, no visual mesh changes.

Let me know what you guys think. Also, this has NOTHING to do with the up coming 'Race Update'.

EDIT: I just made a couple hydro's tweaks and added the LSD again, put it up here along side the regular open diff.

Attached Files:

#1 dkutch, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mike_M

Mike_M
    Expand Collapse

Ummm, what is this supposed to change? it seems like a Bolide that veers to the left or right when accelerating ...:confused:

3. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

is this intended to be run with the improved physics in the race update?

it still veers, it has no differential and is very difficult to drive, it really slides off the track, understeers, etc

i will happily upload a video of my first 5 minutes with the vehicle if you want some insight on what i'm talking about.

4. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

No it is not. I've made changes to the jbeams to make it more composed and drive able. I've had several people tell me it drives great so I don't know. Are you sure you deleted the old folder first?

Also, I use my wheel set to 900 degrees of rotation. So if you're expecting to use a keyboard, you're out of luck.

#4 dkutch, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  5. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

will it break if we do all the re-naming ourselves (so as to not replace the original bolide)?

EDIT: deleted the entire old super folder, put in new one, still veer's (when flat out)

luckily for me though, i have a wheel (albeit a cheap one) so not going flat out is not a problem (of course, it wasn't before your version either, and was quite controllable if you didn't just floor it with the stock bolide)

#5 logoster, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  6. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

May I enquire, a V8 engine full throttle on an RWD car? should we be surprised?

On a side note, the back of the car appears significantly more planted than before.

7. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

Seems a lot less bouncy at the rear.

8. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

If it ain't godly, it ain't Kutchy. :p

I think /maybe/ doing cleanup.bat could help. Maybe.

9. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

https://www.youtube.com/user/Deject3d/videos please feel free to beat any of the listed times in similar vehicles if you would like to imply that i am incapable of driving or handling anything this game has to offer. i am very tired of the argument you're trying to present as numerous others have before you.

with an open differential, the car is more difficult than it should be to drive. this game loves oversteer, and it feels sloppy to correct for a 25mph+ difference in the rotational speed of my rear wheels on a wide corner. the lack of an LSD only accentuates the veering problem under acceleration.

the real detomaso pantera has a limited slip diff.

the suspension is very tight and compared to the original bolide which explains the "significantly more planted" and "a lot less bouncy" comments. however, the dkutch version seems a lot more like a brick in corners than a sports car (compared to the gabester bolide). i expect to be able to power-over and put down some rubber with fishtails around corners, not waste all my torque on the inner rear wheel.

it's just my opinion tho. i would appreciate if dkutch could provide some explanations on the changes he's made. as someone who doesn't like modifying jbeams without decent documentation, i'm interested to know how he arrived at some of the numbers i'm seeing changed in the jbeam files.

10. Motovader72

Motovader72
    Expand Collapse

11. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

You need to look further than just the numbers in the files man. Look at what I changed by visually inspecting the node and beam.

I really don't feel like we're driving the same car here. This is not a Pantera. It is a fictional, 80's sports car and a lot of them were open differential vehicles. For me, it's easier to drive with an open diff. Like I said, I use a wheel set to 900 degrees with this car. To me, it feels a lot like how I would expect a car such as this to behave in the real world. Did I ever claim it to fix all the issues the car has? No. All I claimed was that I made it better, and I feel like I did.

If you really feel like I've wasted my time, I'll take the download down so you don't have to know it exists for others.

12. Ghost187

Ghost187
    Expand Collapse

feels smoother somehow :) i like it. (Gamepad)

13. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

I just added a version with the hydros tweaked a little bit, and the LSD added back.

14. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

i'm not good enough to 'manually inspect' your stuff. i barely know how the beam system works. i'm giving you my feedback from the perspective of a driver.

it kinda feels like you're wasting *my* time if you literally just post a download link to a car implying it's 'better' with no explanation or reasoning. i was hoping to look at the changes you made and apply them to my own mods, but i'm not seeing the effect your changes had besides more understeer and a harder-to-control-for-me differential.

i'm trying to be pretty respectful here towards you as a modder (mainly Hati's post ticked me off), but you have to understand that I was excited to see a dkutch thread show up claiming improvements over one of my favorite cars... but I don't understand the improvements.

edit: you posted before me. thanks for considering my feedback.

15. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

shhhh it's okay, don't question it, let it go

(imported from here)

On another note, I just tried it, and I love it. Of course it doesn't look like much to people who don't understand anything about Jbeam, but for the people that do, we appreciate it a whole lot more.

It no longer feels boaty, and the handling feels greatly improved, the veering is MUCH less, but that's BeamNG related.(Which is gone in the upcoming race update btw).

Of course you won't notice the difference on a perfectly smooth track, but when taking this on bumpy roads, and giving it hell, it no longer bounces like a trampoline.

#15 DrowsySam, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  16. Motovader72

Motovader72
    Expand Collapse

You really don't need to be so condescending...
    deject3d seems like a fairly intelligent person and
    raised some good points.

17. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

Actually I was just stating my opinion like he did, and I had a fair point. Is there a problem?

It looks like nothing to people who don't understand it, but I see many things that kutch 'fixed' and improved, and now it feels more refined and complete, something like a sports car.

If you don't appreciate the small details, then this mod isn't for you.

18. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

that didn't at all read like condescension. Drowsysam merely agreed with him while making a point.

Anyway, to alleviate some confusion; all that's happened is DK reworked the suspension geometry, changed the rear suspension to trailing arm and then lightened the Bolide some where it was unrealistically heavy. It now handles great on uneven surfaces and the handling is much improved. A bit veery still but as sam says; it goes away in the race update apparently.

19. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

I agree with Sam. Im not kissing up to him because he is a god around here, he truely made a valid point. And Dkutch; even though Im using a keyboard, Im noticing some significant improvements on the handling. Good job dude

20. Stormdrain

Stormdrain
    Expand Collapse

I like it. As noted above, feels much more planted, but still a tad unstable mid corner. It likes to snap and throw you off the side of corkscrew mountain. Also, Hati, i am by no means an expert on this, but i dont believe any supercar would veer to the extent of the bolide IRL. I agree, a little steering veer is to be expected (rear biased weight blah blah blah) but it shouldnt fly across 3 lanes of traffic just because a fly landed on the gas pedal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice