bombardier's journey through learning 3d modelling

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by bombardier, Feb 21, 2026.

  1. bombardier

    bombardier
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2021
    Messages:
    59
    Hi! I hope this section of the forum is appropriate for what I want to do.
    Here I will showcase whatever I'm doing on blender, without spamming the development screens thread with stuff I might never finish, mainly trying to learn how to properly 3d model so I can make at least one decent (ish) meshslap for this game.

    This thread is open to anyone who wants to chime in and give their two cents. Regular posting isn't guaranteed. Life happens.

    --- Post updated ---
    First post, i guess.

    I kinda abandoned my "sporty Autobello" idea for a bit. I am a bit disappointed about how the model turned out. I need more practice.
    That is why I started making this here 90's-00's blobby full-size american sedan. Maybe a next generation of the Wendover.
    upload_2026-2-22_0-20-3.png upload_2026-2-22_0-23-3.png
    Main inspirations are: Oldsmobile Aurora Mk1, Dodge Intrepid, Pontiac Bonneville, Lincoln Mark VIII. However, I would like to keep some "European" touches, like the pillarless roof, both for the 4-door and coupe versions. I'd like to think of this car as the last generation of Wendover, the one that was very optimistic but flew too close to the sun. It was made to be a Procyon (Lexus) killer but never really had the same brand cache as Procyon.

    I found this cool tutorial which explained in plain english how to get smooth, flowing lines in your model. I think it looks pretty good so far.
    upload_2026-2-22_0-27-43.png upload_2026-2-22_0-28-13.png
    However! I have a few areas that are, quite frankly, my kryptonite when it comes to 3d modeling. It's this very weird thing that is happening with the normals once I bevel corners. In the photos shown below, this is just one example. Someone please explain to me what I should do in order to avoid this.

    upload_2026-2-22_0-32-7.png upload_2026-2-22_0-32-31.png

    I'll keep working on other areas until I can figure this out. Like adapting the Wendover chassis and front suspension to this body. I guess that's it for now.
    upload_2026-2-22_0-41-9.png
     
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Rar3s | arena.1tap.ro

    Rar3s | arena.1tap.ro
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2017
    Messages:
    24
    relaes mod plz i want to play
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bombardier

    bombardier
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2021
    Messages:
    59
    Doing some interior sketching. Digital gauges planned.
    upload_2026-2-26_22-31-33.png
    --- Post updated ---
    Also redid the roof a little bit, made the trunk a bit longer and made the rear fascia which is very Wendover-y. No idea how I'll do the early 00's facelift with this shape, but I'll cook something up once I get there.
    upload_2026-2-26_22-32-58.png

    I gotta say, I love love LOVE the side profile of this thing.
    upload_2026-2-26_22-36-13.png
     
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bombardier

    bombardier
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2021
    Messages:
    59
    Small update, separated most of the outside panels. I really want a sort of clamshell hood that pops forward a bit, kinda like the old BMW's, but opens normally. Rear trunk has an acceptable height in my opinion. I can see the bottle middle piece being scratched and scuffed from all the loading and unloading from the trunk. I kinda wanna leave it that way, some engineering oversights make a lore-friendly car feel more "natural", because no car is absolutely 100% engineered to perfection.
    upload_2026-3-3_2-48-15.png upload_2026-3-3_2-48-35.png
     
    • Like Like x 2
  5. bombardier

    bombardier
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2021
    Messages:
    59
    First wheel design. 16x7 inch wheel inspired by the Aurora wheels.
    upload_2026-3-6_2-30-21.png upload_2026-3-6_2-31-13.png
     
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bombardier

    bombardier
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2021
    Messages:
    59
    Made two new wheel designs:

    Another 16x7 design, can't remember what I saw that inspired me to make this, but I can imagine this wheel being all chromed out.
    upload_2026-3-8_16-58-4.png

    17x7 (might change the width if the tire that's supposed to go on this isn't correct) sporty wheel for the sport trim. I like how smooth it turned out.
    upload_2026-3-8_16-59-48.png
     
    • Like Like x 1
  7. bombardier

    bombardier
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2021
    Messages:
    59
    Last wheel design for now. Another 17 inch wheel, leaned more towards the 'luxury' trim.
    upload_2026-3-9_22-29-46.png

    Also made the mirrors. The mirror stem (or stay? support? whatever it's called) is not final, I might try and integrate it more nicely into the shell of the mirror.
    upload_2026-3-9_22-29-54.png
     
    • Like Like x 2
  8. bombardier

    bombardier
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2021
    Messages:
    59
    Hi. Seats. Bye.
    upload_2026-3-23_21-7-50.png
     
    • Like Like x 2
  9. beamer09234

    beamer09234
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2024
    Messages:
    48
    this some good stuff my guy, hows the model look?
     
  10. bombardier

    bombardier
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2021
    Messages:
    59
    upload_2026-4-2_22-12-53.png upload_2026-4-2_22-12-46.png
    Steering wheel made. I think I'll make a sporty three spoke for the sport version.
     
  11. bombardier

    bombardier
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2021
    Messages:
    59
    Fitted and adapted the rear suspension from a Pessima, because it's the closest in regards to design to the real life counterpart of this car.
    upload_2026-4-3_22-25-50.png
     
  12. bombardier

    bombardier
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2021
    Messages:
    59
    The front structure is pretty much ready, Looks like you could fit an engine longitudinally in there also, but that's not what I'm really after, so I'll probably just cover some of it up with some plastic cladding.
    upload_2026-4-11_23-11-3.png

    Also, I've shortened the front overhang by a smidge and made the bulge in the hood a bit more pronounced. The rear structure is next and after that, marrying the chassis to the body. After that's done, it'll be time for jbeam. Once it's ingame and textured, I'll probably start a new thread in 'Vehicles' and this thread will remain for any next project that might arise. Like all starting BeamNG modders, I have 3 billion ideas with no sure way to implement them, but I'm fighting the urge to start another project so soon :D
    upload_2026-4-11_23-11-6.png
     
  13. destroyeer6511

    destroyeer6511
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2024
    Messages:
    708
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice