Outdated Bruckell Moonhawk T-Top, Sedan, Station wagon, Ute & Limousine V0.3.0

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by AR162B, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Rokzy rules

Rokzy rules
    Expand Collapse

Re: Bruckell Moonhawk Sedan & Station wagon

Once it's released I'll make it if you want

Or you could use this

Download here : http://www.beamng.com/threads/9409-1979-Richard-Petty-STP-oil-Daytona-car

2. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! I am already making a sort of hybrid between a 1973 NASCAR Chevelle (a bit like Bobby Allison's Chevelle)and the old Trans-Am racing cars. Replaced the headlights and taillights with covers, replaced the grille with a simple grille, replaced the doorhandles with a plate (will be 'welded' shut) and doorpanels removed, added a lighter engine, capable of more RPM (6800RPM) so more HP but having less torque (about 380 Nm between 4000-6000 RPM), added a different differential and a straight sidepipe. I'm trying to get is as light as possible.
    Also added lower, stiffer suspension with wider, stickier tyres (with their own texture) and rear disc brakes.
    Unfortunately decreasing the weight of the nodes from the nose- and tailcone will result in not showing the mesh properly, so I have to do some testing. And maybe I'll add a tubular frame to replace the front inner fenders.

I really don't know any values about those old racing engines, so if you have something or see anything else which can be improved, please let me know. I'm trying to get it realistic as possible, not ridiculously fast or something.

-----

Also made some progress with the station; but it still doesn't look like I wan't it to be. Anybody suggestions about improving the design? (Please ignore small errors like texture errors etc)

Attached Files:

• screenshot82.jpg
    • screenshot83.jpg
    • screenshot84.jpg
    • screenshot79.jpg
    • screenshot80.jpg
    • screenshot81.jpg
    #102 AR162B, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  3. dezzey

dezzey
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, the lights on the bumper look really odd to me. Try putting the lights on the bodywork like the Ford LTD County Squire.

Attached Files:

• 1969_Ford_LTD_Country_Squire.jpg
  4. Jujune

Jujune
    Expand Collapse

I dont like the Wagon version for now :/

I think the c pillars should be more outside on the bodyframe, and not inside.
    Also as mentioned before the bumper lights looking odd.

But i see its early WIP so i hope you will improve the Wagon.

The Sedan and Derby/Race/Sport/Police versions are looking great! I think i´ll love this mod as your D15´s one.
    Great work, nicely done! But please improve the Wagon!

5. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

Stock cars were actually stock cars back then, so whatever a 427 from that era put out for power

6. segaPOOR

segaPOOR
    Expand Collapse

After minutes of research, I have found that your best bet is probably modeling the wagon after a 1977 Ford or Dodge. The bodystyles of the Country Squire and the Monaco are pretty similar to each other and the Moonhawk itself. As far as a roundback design, in my opinion, its a mistake. Roundbacks sort of went out of style before the Moonhawk wouldve come out and they dont look right with the roofline as evidenced by your attempt :p. I think your best bet is to go for more of a Country Squire design because theyre easier to find pictures of lol.

The first pic is a Country Squire, second is a Monaco (reference for roofline/windows/etc) and the third is a 1977 Buick Century Wagon if you're really committed to the bumper taillights

PS. I love the mod and I cant wait for it to come out

Attached Files:

• 5061312850_bb0fae9027_z.jpg
    • 8800547134_ccc04f7204_z.jpg
    • 1977_Buick_Century.jpg
  7. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

I think the bumper should be either integrated or atleast moved a bit closer, as for the taillights I think they should be done in the same fashion as the coupe and the sedan, you could actually include that rear panel with the lettering on it, here's an idea of what I mean (bumper excluded).

screenshot79.jpg

If you want something different then you could give the rear the same tratment as the 1975 Chevrolet Caprice wagon
    1975ChevroletCapriceEstateWagon12.jpg

I know it's the wrong model year (Moonhawk should be 1977-1978) but I think the long taillights on the Country Squire look ugly and this Chevy's rear looks wagon-y to me. The downside is that you would have to extend the sides of the car so you can have those angled tailligts but I think they are really sweat :)

PS. You could also do a woody version :p

8. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I think the stock Moonhawk bumper needs to go sleep with tha fishies.....looks terrible on the wagon. I fully understand the work involved but at this point I think it
    would be a big mistake to not remove or heavily modify the rear bumper on the wagon and certainly the lights in the bumper need to go on the body. Not trying to be mean but
    I just feel strongly about the issue. None the less, you could get the station wagon body squared away, release it with the hideous bumper and I'd still shower you with praise.:cool:

9. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the many suggestions, unfortunately all negative with respect to the wagon :p
    I didn't like the looks of it either, maybe a mid size body is just too narrow to put on a roundback end.

I'm going to try to make it more like the Coronet and Torino wagon; d-pillars at the sides, a square end and a more integrated rear bumper.

10. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

I don't see a problem with the roundback itself, the issue is that you need to include those tailfins remains so that from above the rear of the car has a curve going through it, I'm going to see if I can make a visual interpretation of what I mean :)

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what I mean, the red lines should help with defining where the edges and the curve are. One thing I noticed about roundbacks is that they all have a very flat profile which makes that edge more visible so it might be necessary to widen the body at the rear to get those hard edges at the rear. Hopefully this helps :)
    screenshot79 (2).jpg

11. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

Nice drawing! :) At least I can try remodeling the existing station mesh into something like this. What do you think of the side profile of the car; the height of the roof, the shape of the rear windows, the c-pillar?
    I'll try remodeling it upcoming weekend!

12. MrAngry

MrAngry
    Expand Collapse

You have 3 roof options; keep it as it is, make it a bit higher and a bit wider to get those arches over the side windows or just increasing the height on the back of it the rear windows should simply continue the body shape when they touch it at the bottom in an un-awkward way so just make sure none of the body is curved towards the inside of the cargo space. C-pillar looks a-okay but the D-pillar looks to be too long, I think the roundbacks had a simple flat chrome pillar at the rear without any extra thickness to it. Here are some references to what I mean:
    20140608_181954_resized_zps90be4405.jpg SANY0009_zps0532c2f5.jpg

So pretty much I think that if the rear had that same curved roof that would lower as it reaches the rear doors it would really look like a roundback. I think the profile needs to be more slab-sided because now it looks like a non-factory wagon conversion. D-pillar should be a bit thinner than it is right now. Make sure the windows touch the body work without breaking the lines when looking from the rear. So far I think we should cover the concept and tinker with the details later, cannot wait to see what you come up with :p

13. Mad Jasper

Mad Jasper
    Expand Collapse

Well THAT is just freaking awesome!! Thanks for the quick reply! That's exactly the look I was going for (with maybe the exception of black wheels).

In my younger days, I used to race locally in the street stock division. I don't know the specs and details of cup cars at the time, but I believe the frames and engines were mostly stock. Most of the cars I raced or raced against locally were late 70's to mid 80's Camaros, Malibus, T-Birds.. you get the picture. We'd add a roll cage and extend the tube to protect the engine bay and the trunk to protect the fuel cell. The doors, hood and trunk were skinned and inner fenders removed. They were mostly a cage on a stock chassis with riveted sheet metal. The sheet metal was extremely soft with no support, but the chassis and frame were rigid. There's a movie called "Greased Lightning" that tells the story about Wendell Scott, an African-American stock car driver. IIRC, there was a scene in that movie where Scott buys a 70's era production car and converts into a stock car in his home garage.

Here's a nice read, too.

http://www.truckmodcentral.com/forums/f110/when-stock-cars-ruled-nascar-why-they-left-14848/

I'll do some more research over the next day or so and provide you as much details as I can find.

Freakin' awesome work!

14. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

All right, I haven't got time for it, but I couldn't resist :p I decided to give it a try to improve this roundback idea before discarding it.

I 'squared' the rear end of the body, remolded the area underneath the rear side window, added a side window (if you look closely you can see it), slapped a taillight and a normal bumper on, 'thinned' and remolded the d-pillar and moved the lower, rear side of the c-pillar outwards.

It still needs lots of tuning, and so far I did nothing to the roof, rear bumper and bottom rear end of the body. What do you guys think? I think I like it :)
    Please ignore the texture errors and especially the left side of the car, I remolded the right side only.

Attached Files:

• screenshot85.jpg
    • screenshot86.jpg
  15. Jujune

Jujune
    Expand Collapse

Looks nice! But i still dont like the d pillars! :/

But it looks really good otherwise.

The d pillars should be more outside on the Bodyframe. Like the Ford Wagon.

16. GingerPunk603

GingerPunk603
    Expand Collapse

I'm liking the way it looks so far. I might be the only one who thinks so, but I think that the black-ish bar on the Moonhawk coupe and sedan's rear panels should be present on the wagon as well. It looks kinda weird without it.

17. DESTROYER3001

DESTROYER3001
    Expand Collapse

I like the car a lot more now but for some reason I think it needs the moonhawk badge on the boot

18. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

I will try to include that 'Moonhawk' badge on the rear end, last time I tried it didn't look that good, but maybe due to the new position of the taillights and the new rear end shape it will. It's just a texture so it's easily 'slapped on'.

19. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Definitely heading in the right direction. I like all the real estate hanging off the rear end.:D

20. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

Had a bit less time available than expected this week, finally here is an update.

Cleaned the mesh of the c and d pillars, remolded some small things, slapped on some textures, mirrored it all and remolded the rear bumper. What do you guys think? Please specify the area/part what you don't like :)
    I just realized I think the edges above the rear lights are a bit too strong and the d-pillar might be a bit thicker (x direction) but I think I like the overall shape.

Attached Files:

• screenshot87.jpg
    • screenshot88.jpg
    • screenshot89.jpg
    • screenshot90.jpg
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice