Unsolved Buying premade 3D models.

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Deleted member 162543, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Deleted member 162543

Deleted member 162543
    Expand Collapse

Sorry if this is a noob question, I'm new to all of this.

If I bought a 3D model off TurboSquid in the file format of FBX with UV maps, would it be able to be implemented into the game, and if so how easy?

Cheers, Vantage

--- Post updated ---

If you are wondering what I want to buy: https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-car-doors-gti/983717#

2. henryjhost

henryjhost
    Expand Collapse

The model looks a little too high poly, and you might have to model an engine and suspension-or take one from existing vehicles.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Deleted member 162543

Deleted member 162543
    Expand Collapse

Right ok, I guess taking one from another vehicle would be quite easy. Can't you reduce the poly in blender using a certain tool?

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Making a skeleton for the car as well as making all the parameters for car to behave like a car are going to take lot longer than modeling itself.

Many new persons don't realize this, but weight of car is done by adding together weight of all nodes (dots) and structure has to balanced very carefully, each line between dots (called beam) has to be created and each has several parameters that affect how structure will behave:
    upload_2018-6-9_16-12-4.png
    It is not about same how you place those dots, one challenging part is buildings suspension as it is not enough to replicate suspension geometry of real vehicle accurately, but creating additional supports to keep suspension from collapsing and allowing still same motion as real suspension. Alone finding that information from real vehicle can be challenging.

Then structure where suspension connects to does matter too, it is not enough to just place nodes so that you can mount suspension, but you have to think how forces will transmit from those mounting points to whole structure.

Also for crashing, you can make crumple zones etc. but again it is about placement of those nodes and setting properties of beams.

Each node adds weight and you can easily get into too low weight, which makes instabilities, not much below 2kg node weight is possible and more beams connect to node, more weight generally node needs to have.

Many have then taken skeleton from existing vehicle and modified that to fit, something similar usually exists and that might help, but handling of vehicle can be rather unrealistic if suspension is not carefully modified, which is very difficult to do, so it is something that is sometimes skipped.

That is why so few vehicles are getting done, so perhaps you could create very simple body of the vehicle first and start doing that skeleton to see if it really is what you wish to do and only then considering buying 3D model.

Then again it does depend a lot of what you want to aim, there are mods where skeleton is completely different kind of vehicle as well as performance, but looks of vehicle, 3d model and textures only, has been changed. Those kind of mods are usually frowned upon.

I recommend to look here about jbeam, nodes and beams sections if you haven't.
    https://wiki.beamng.com/Vehicle_Creation_Megapage

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

If you want acceptable quality and little time spent, you could do the way I made the Camry. I took Sunburst's jbeam, scaled it to fit the model and moved nodes to match the model's shape in NBE. For extra realism you could also change node weight so the car weighs like the real one and beam values so it has crash safety of one, but I skipped that :p. Then I created the powertrain based on real data. The whole process took less than a week.
    Result:
    screenshot_00924.png screenshot_00925.png screenshot_00927.png
    The Good
    The car crashes as good as the model allows (it ain't the most BeamNG-friendly model in the shed), has accurate power and torque figures, realistic aerodynamics.
    The Bad
    The car weighs as much as the Sunburst, handles like the Sunburst and is as safe as the Sunburst. It all can be fixed, but will take time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

I know this is Kind of offtopic but that helped me make my own custom JBEAM without it constantly making weird glitches!

There are some funny weird ones, but overall now I can actually create a jbeam without messaging someone :D

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dean Wang

Dean Wang
    Expand Collapse

You need to press a and then press ctrl + j in blender and then name the mesh pigeon_body

8. Deleted member 162543

Deleted member 162543
    Expand Collapse

Ok will do, thanks very much! I'll have a little play around with some other cars and see if I can do it well, then if all goes well I will buy the model and implement it into the game :)
    --- Post updated ---
    I hope to do something similar for the Golf, probably using the Hirochi SBR4's jbeam. Cheers :)

9. Deleted member 162543

Deleted member 162543
    Expand Collapse

Can you change node positions visually through an application or is it all through the script?

10. SubaruSTI07™

SubaruSTI07™
    Expand Collapse

nah ETK 800 jbeam will fit better

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Deleted member 162543

Deleted member 162543
    Expand Collapse

Very true actually, you have changed my mind!

• Like Like x 1
  12. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

I've learned this the hard way: the higher the poly count on a 3D Model inside BeamNG, No matter how good the JBEAM Is, the vehicle will crash poorly. One of many reasons why I have 50 mods laying around not completed.

I'd just either make one, or just find a lower poly-count model. Hope this helps!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

One thing you also need to check is what you are allowed to do with the model.
    Most of these sites have quite strict 'Do Not' points.
    Here's an example that recently popped out:
    https://hum3d.com/terms-and-conditions/

In particular:
    Basically this alone won't allow you to use it here.
    It makes sense if you think at it. What blocks an user from getting the model from a mod, rather than buying it.
    It means that you cannot redistribute a model if it's not protected against users having direct access to it (in short, if it's not encrypted/protected).
    DAE files are pretty open, so they do not meet that. And the game does not support protected '3D' formats AFAIK.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Besides, all those models are made for rendering, and getting low poly versions of those models can be tedious and in most cases is an automated process (I.E using a Blender modifier or command or whatever to reduce polycount yourself; same thing they do.) They don't have detailed undersides, making them less ideal for BeamNG. They may have interiors but they're all garbled up usually making them unusable for BeamNG. And we're not even covering UVs yet.

Tbh I could make a better model for BeamNG than a low poly converted Humster3D model in anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. Then another couple weeks to a month on proper UVs.

Just, don't waste your money on them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

Not to say if you make something yourself, you know what everything is instead of unpacking everything like “the hell is this??” And making the hood like 8 different parts throughout the vehicle.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Sunburst jbeam is best, but you'll have to edit it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Deleted member 162543

Deleted member 162543
    Expand Collapse

I would love to make one, but the complexitory in making it would be too hard for me (I like to get things exactly right down the the mm). I have no experience in making 3D models to this detail so I would probably give up. If there was a way to 3D scan the car (cheaply) in real life and import it to Blender that would be nice.
    --- Post updated ---
    Ahhh... that's a shame. I guess I will have to make my own model somehow :(
    --- Post updated ---
    I won't buy it now after realising all these points. I would love to create a model buy myself but I don't believe I have the skills to do so. Maybe I can pay you to create a model for me, I can provide sizes, textures and everything else for the car xD

18. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

Making a model isn't difficult after watching some tutorials, it's just some are lazy and don't take the time to make them, and steal :/

I'm pretty sure you can make one, it will just be very time consuming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Deleted member 162543

Deleted member 162543
    Expand Collapse

Maybe I will have to watch some tutorials. I'm sure if I spent enough time on it I could master it, and luckily for me time is of a surplus currently. What kind of software would I be looking at using for creating the model? Just Blender?

20. SubaruSTI07™

SubaruSTI07™
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice