Cab improvements

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Inter_maty, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Inter_maty

Inter_maty
    Expand Collapse

Hello everyone, just bought the game as I couldn't stop playing it, I noticed some fps issues but it's in alpha so you can't complain.

I'd like to suggest cab improvements and what I mean by that is the ability for the cab to be destroyed or damaged like the other parts of the vehicle.
    At first I was going to suggest ragdolls and test dummies but it looks like people beat me to it.

I think it would be a good idea to implement this because when I drive into a wall at 70-80mph the front part of the car obviously gets destroyed but the cab
    doesn't really get affected even though in car crashes the engine pushing against the cab and crushing the people is the usual way they die. Some days ago
    I was playing a game with my friend were I would crash a car and then we would judge if the person would survive the ordeal however due to the cab not being
    fully destroyable or to "op" (oppressive / strong) most of the common methods why crashes occur that would kill someone are not possible.

Also, sorry if this has already been suggested, I searched around a little and couldn't find anything similar.

Thanks for reading!

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Just to say, the whole car is destroyable, if you drop the car from a great height, it will flatten out, cab included.

3. Inter_maty

Inter_maty
    Expand Collapse

I know that the car is completely destructible however I feel like the cab is too strong and should be easily damaged, especially from the front.

4. Landie_Man

Landie_Man
    Expand Collapse

Depends how hard you crash. I've crushed the cabs loads of times at reasonable speeds

5. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I agree with this guy. I have noticed this for awhile, even from the videos and streams. I have seen alot of pictures, videos, and even real car crashes, but the cabin of every car seems way too strong. Everything else is awesome, but the cabin just seems too stiff. Even at some very high speed crashes, it just doesn't deform much. I'm not exactly sure why they would do this, though. Sometimes the steering wheel doesn't move at all, even though the column and dash have moved. The needles also don't deform with the dash too well either, but that doesn't bother me at all, so maybe they were trying to make it so those are less noticable by making the cabin stiffer. I've also noticed the roof seems too stiff, but I might be wrong there. I anyone has evidence that it's accurate, then I will happily agree, just seems to stiff to me.
    *incoming hate*​

6. Landie_Man

Landie_Man
    Expand Collapse

Bloody hell all these people saying "stiff" multiple times we are gonna attract the wrong audiences here!!!

Come to think of it, the cabs can be a bit strong. How about having the steering wheel move with the column? Little less strength in the cab too

7. Inter_maty

Inter_maty
    Expand Collapse

After reading some more replies I thought I'd do a little more research.
    I looked at some crash test simulation videos and real crash videos involving crash test dummies.

These cars crashed were drove into a metal square pole like a barrier around some pedestrian walkways
    I tested against the squares leading up to the vertical ramp which were around the same size.
    The cars were also crashed at the same angle and I used similar cars.

On the real crash test the cabin was badly damaged however did not break allowing the area
    around and the engine to enter the cabin and potentially crush the driver.
    This test was at 35 - 40 mph

In Beamng everything else destroyed the way it was supposed to however at the same speed the cabin
    took near to no damage, the front did but the cabin was in good shape so I thought I'd increase the speed
    of the car to see if it would break.

I eventually got to 80mph and the cabin just would not break.

I'm definitely not calling this a fair test due to the difference in the crash object and the vehicle
    however I tried to mimic the test conditions as much as I could and I think I proved that the cab
    needs to be more destructible, of course I have no evidence to actually prove anything but I'm
    sure the people here get the idea, thanks for reading this long post that has no evidence, I'm
    hoping people understand what I'm talking about and have experienced this.

Edit

Oh and thanks for the thanks, haha.

8. bunnns

bunnns
    Expand Collapse

Well I have complety crushed every vehicles cabin so I really don't get your point

9. Bob4life10

Bob4life10
    Expand Collapse

the thing about cabs is that they are designed to have crumple zones and such to prevent driver and passengers from being killed in collisions, and keep its original shape as best it can.
    regardless, if you pass the force tolerance (or whatever it'd be called) the cab will be damaged, from moderate to severe amounts of damage.
    i think the beam ng team took this into consideration and made the cab more sturdy to simulate how cars are designed today.
    but iv still been able to crumple the cab many times, to an extent that my first person camera is sideways and im crushed into the steering wheel with the passenger seat on top of me.
    from what iv seen, the damage to the cab seems realistic. it all depends on the force and the point of impact.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice