1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Can Anything Be Done About Steam Updates?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dummiesman, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Specifically, the way BeamNG updates on Steam.

Small "smallest of updates" are hundreds of MB, small updates are sometimes in the GB, and even though my default Steam library, and BeamNG are on a dedicated game drive, Steam reserves nearly 16gb of space on my OS drive even for these "smallest of updates" to get the game updated.

It's faster to do a clean install of the game each time instead of update right now. Just wondering if there's anything on the BeamNG side you guys could do to improve the situation.

2. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I think that's just how steam be.
    I've had the same issue here for a hella long time.

3. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

For me I dont seem to worry about it mainly because I have got a Steam folder that is some 400GB in size, and it doesnt bother me because I have got a couple 4000GB WD Black Drives in my system

4. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Also the CPU is often heavily loaded during update where shoudn't. Download speed is actually unaffected if you delibratly lower the CPU clock speed.

5. Speedster202

Speedster202
    Expand Collapse

I don't think theres anything you can do about it. Thats just Steam being Steam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

It seems to be mostly limited to BeamNG with the weirdness. CSGO can download a 4GB+ update without filling up my OS drive for example, while a 600MB BeamNG update winds up using 16+GB on my OS drive while it updates.

When 0.18 came out Steam sat there for 3 hours until it failed and restarted the update. From then on I've just been reinstalling it since it's faster than updating.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Okay thats officially WEIRD I mean how can this game do that and then act funny but not chew up the disk space required, I think that might be something to do with the packaging or something IDK @Nadeox1 You got any ideas whats going on here with game updates?

8. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Well Steam probably made CSGO download faster because y'know, valve game.
    also you wanna play comp sometime

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice