1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Can BeamNG be Ported to UE4?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by austint30, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. austint30

austint30
    Expand Collapse

Torque 3D is kind of outdated. It doesn't have a lot of support and it can be tedious to use. The graphics look outdated and the tools aren't that good. I think it would be pretty cool to see BeamNG technology ported over to Unreal Engine 4.

Just imagine, BeamNG physics with stunning graphics and amazing tools with lots of support and tutorials from Epic Games. This would be a dream come true!

Also, just like Torque 3D, Unreal Engine 4 is now free and open source!

• Like Like x 5
  2. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

I asked something similar in the ama, sadly no.

"Our physics engine is already OS and relatively game engine independent. We are heavily working on the game engine, performance, DX11, etc
    Right now we do not have any plans to change the game engine, we have big plans with it still."

You're right though. Torque is an old and weak engine, and i fantasize about this game in UE4.

Also midtown madness was one of my favorite game series back in the day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. austint30

austint30
    Expand Collapse

It's amazing how good ol' midtown madness is still relatively active today with the modding community. Anyway, I believe it is definitely possible to port BeamNG to UE4 with enough time and effort. I would love to pay for a BeamNG Unreal Engine 4 Edition! I would even pay $60!

• Like Like x 1
  4. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

If they thought UE was the best engine for the game they would have chose it from the beginning, and torque 3D works just fine. It would take a long time to port BeamNG over and it probably wouldn't even be worth it. There have been a lot of EA games that change engines halfway through development and it normally doesn't work out well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. austint30

austint30
    Expand Collapse

No, they would've choose UE from the beginning. The reason why they didn't is because it wasn't free and open source at the time. Torque 3D was free and open source in 2011/2012, so they chose that.

6. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

No it doesn't. BeamNG is more graphically demanding than Fallout 4, GTA V and modded Skyrim (ENB + 4K textures), and looks much worse than any of those.
    Torque3D is outdated, poorly optimised and lacks support. It doesn't support OpenGL either.

I'd love to see BeamNG in UE4, but it's a lot of work to remake the game from scratch in a new graphics engine. Even if the physics engine can be ported easily, everything else would need a massive overhaul. At least 6 months of dev time with no updates in between, probably more. By staying on T3D, they can add features to the game as they improve the engine, rather than remake all the existing features in a new engine.

• Like Like x 3
  7. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

I have 2x gtx 970s, and I can run GTAV on high settings just fine. I can get a score of 17k on firestrike, banana bench says I can run 10 pickups at over 100% realtime. By no measure do I have a weak system, but Beam proves me wrong. It's the only game I play where the graphics are underwhelming and I struggle to keep 60fps at 1080p. No AA, medium lighting and shader quality, medium dynamic reflections, and yet I still consider it impressive if I stay 45+ fps in and around the town on ECA. I want to love this game 100%, but honestly the poor graphics just annoy me when I play. Beam "Next Generation" really needs to step into the next gen graphics department.

I hate torque with a passion, and I really think that before a beta release, much less a final release, the graphical side of torque needs a complete gut and rebuild, or ideally an engine change (which we already know isn't going to happen). I'm not talking about better DX11 support, or performance increases, because what are those worth if the end product still looks dated? Beamng is Beamng GMBHs flagship title, showcasing their revolutionary physics simulation system and at a first glance looks very weak and dated, potentially driving away buyers.

Graphics need to change, because at this point they are the only thing detracting from my enjoyment of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  8. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

It honestly looks fine to me, performance is the main issue and performance is worth a lot no matter how dated the end product looks, one of the main thing that annoys me about a lot of games these days is that they focus on detailed textures and high poly models instead of better render distance and performance.

• Like Like x 1
  9. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Well way back when... it used to be in CryEngine 3... but then they switched to Torque and we are where we are today.

• Like Like x 2
  10. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

it would be easy to switch to unreal 4 if they had 40 more programmers and 15 times the budget. all in all ill take what i can get. someone close to the project invited me over to play it on his wheel setup and oh my god. it honestly blew any other sim ive played away in every way. gtr2. gtr evo. rfactor. not even assetto corsa felt as good. the graphics arent great, but when your driving it really dosen't matter.

• Like Like x 1
  11. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Agreed! Best physics in the game industry! I also don't really mind the current graphics engine... but ironically that is where my system meets a bottleneck... not in the physics. The Devs did a tremendous job at refining the physics calculations to the point that the physics don't even hold my system back in the slightest... its all the graphics engine. The looks are fine but the efficiency seems to be pretty bad.

#11 atv_123, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  12. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

As much as I agree with pretty much everything on this thread, I also know that tdev will probably respond to this thread with “sorry, not going to happen” and close the thread.

So as a sort of compromise, I'd like to think the developers will be able to improve Torque3D to a point where it's at least approaching other game engines in terms of graphics and performance. In fact, I think this should be a top priority.

• Like Like x 5
  13. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Yea... that's pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. Who all is developing Torque3D? It can't just be the devs here right? While I believe that there are other people working on it, it seems the only ones that are making any progress are the devs here that are working on it... either that or there is a lot going on in the background that we aren't seeing.

14. austint30

austint30
    Expand Collapse

I think BeamNG should either upgrade Torque 3D to make it almost as good as modern game engines, or BeamNG should just port over to Unreal Engine 4. I think it's best to port to Unreal Engine 4, because upgrading an old and outdated game engine that isn't really supported anymore? Why bother? The UE4 source code is right there and BeamNG tech can be integrated without much problems.

Some issues though. All of the official and modded maps will become incompatible. Also, the modded cars may no longer work. New maps and mods will have to be made, but it shouldn't be that hard to transition your mods, UE4 is pretty easy to make mods for, just look at Ark.

15. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

I'm not a programmer but I wouldn't make the assumption that it can be done with "much problems". They would have done so by now if it was easy they are dug in deep with tq3d

16. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Its really complicated, and quite risky to release v1.0 with an engine change. Maybe for BeamNG version 2 or so ;)

• Like Like x 11
  17. austint30

austint30
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG UE4 Edition!

• Like Like x 1
  18. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

come on, i am not that mean normally ^^

• Like Like x 13
  19. austint30

austint30
    Expand Collapse

I'm learning UE4. I'm gonna try to import the BeamNG pickup mesh and try to make a graphics comparison with Torque 3D.

• Like Like x 2
  20. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

It's not mean, it's a business. I never once thought of it as mean to not waste any time getting to the point.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice