1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Can I increase the amount of Anti-Aliasing?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by freshmeat107, Aug 13, 2017.

1. freshmeat107

freshmeat107
    Expand Collapse

I was searching through the forums and surprisingly did not find any results for this. Between the SMAA and FXAA I am still seeing some jagged edges and wish to minimize them further. In the options its a simple "choose your type" without any specification of how much its being applied.

I have dug through the game settings and have found options relating to disable hardware AA and type but nothing for the amount. Is this a Torque 3D limitation, design choice, or did I overlook something? I did see the other thread where it was stated that enabling hardware AA causes issues and if I recall correctly you cannot add hardware AA to dx11 games in the first place. I have tried enabling DSR through the Nvidia control panel but I prefer not having that performance impact.

On another note for the other options such as texture quality, can you go beyond the max ingame settings by setting higher number values in the CS files?

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

FXAA and SMAA we have have only on/off.

Amount of AA is usually something you find on MSAA (which comes with x2, x4, etc.), but that's not available here (also very expensive)

FXAA will tend to blur also textures, while SMAA is a cleaner solution that will try to blur only the jagged edges.

3. freshmeat107

freshmeat107
    Expand Collapse

Ok, so its on/off then. I have played other games such as Just Cause 2 which allows up to x32 fxaa and others that have just a simple on/off.

Out of curiosity, is that because of graphic engine limitations?

Also do you guys have future plans to add different AA options or is it settled to stay the way it is? Because I do know you guys already went through the effort of getting SMAA in one of the previous patches, which is great!

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

x32 FXAA?
    FXAA is probably the first example of simple 'On/Off' AA methods.
    Maybe that x32 meant something else, it really odd to see it in there.

And yes, it depends on the renderer.
    SMAA is already a huge step ahead from FXAA, it doesn't just blur everything.
    Other methods depends on a lot of things, can't promise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice